Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anyone have experience of Sky Q?

(10 Posts)
fourormore Sun 26-Jul-20 09:36:27

Has anyone got Sky Q?
Not for me - I'm definitely not interested in more tech, but a friend of mine has been talked into having it.

They are not Sky customers at the moment so presumably they will need a dish?

Also will the 'speech activated' remote work on the existing TV - I would imagine a new TV must be necessary? How much would that cost?

Also I assume Sky would then add the cost of her phone and internet as with her existing provider she has phone, internet and TV in one package.

Just interested that's all as it looks to me like it could work out an expensive way of not changing channels manually or am I missing something? hmm

kittylester Sun 26-Jul-20 09:44:45

We are have SkyQ

SkyQ is via the internet with one main box and 2 other mini boxes (in the playroom and kitchen) I think it's brilliant. We can watch stuff we have recorded anywhere in the house, rewind live tv, record things from any tv, use apps.

We have our phone with Sky because we got a good deal but it isnt compulsory.

kittylester Sun 26-Jul-20 09:46:52

No new tv required I would think. There is access to loads more channels.

jusnoneed Sun 26-Jul-20 11:24:08

We had our old sky box switched to SkyQ a couple weeks ago after negotiating a new deal. One box in living room and small box in sons bedroom. Gradually getting used to the extra tricks it does, multiple recording at same time etc. Worked fine on existing tv (about 5 years old). The engineer put up a new dish too, replacing very old one.
The handset does all usual things a handset does, speech activated is an extra gadget (you just talk into the top of the handset) which you do not have to use.
You pay for whichever Sky tv package you want, and if you want to switch your phone line or BB that's a separate thing they could have deal over. She could stay with her current provider for her phone/bb if she chooses. I have my line and BB with Plusnet, and Sky is a stand alone thing.

kittylester Sun 26-Jul-20 13:50:07

Sorry, we already had a dish but the mini boxes are wifi from the main box.... possibly, I think!!

kissngate Sun 26-Jul-20 15:19:54

We have Sky Q. They provided a new dish and it works fine on my 15yr+ tv in the kitchen. Our phone and internet are provided by Plusnet.

fourormore Sun 26-Jul-20 17:03:28

Thanks all of you for your comments - as I said it's not for us.
The lady concerned is 90yrs old and only has one TV in her house. She has been persuaded to have SkyQ as she can then tell the remote control what programme she wants rather than fiddle with numbers and programme guides.

As she isn't even on Sky at the moment, to me it seems a lot of faff to have a dish installed etc. but thankfully it's not my decision! I was just curious as to what wonders you get with SkyQ that you don't get with other packages!

Thanks to you all - as I said, not my decision thank goodness!!!

Katyj Sun 26-Jul-20 17:10:31

We have it, I prefer it to the other one seems simpler.They fitted us a new dish at no extra cost, our tv is 12 years old and haven’t had any problems. We pay £15 a month for the basic package which is fine for us.

Oopsminty Sun 26-Jul-20 17:15:19

Well we have it and I'm not its biggest fan

I found the original more straightforward. I'm no technophobe but this just seems too complicated for its own good

Yes the one good thing is talking to it. But unless you're doing your best RP it does get confused

Is this 90 year old very tech aware? We got old Sky for my parents when they were in their 80s and it wasn't a great success!

Good luck to the lady!

fourormore Sun 26-Jul-20 18:09:06

Thanks again - bless her she is not tech minded at all which is what inspired me to ask for G'netters experience! Put it this way - she complains that her Alexa isn't working but calls it Alexis!
She also has trouble with the normal remote control as she gets impatient and presses random buttons! She does not have dementia or any problems like that apart from the fact she doesn't want to learn which, at 90yrs of age is fair enough in my opinion!
It's been interesting getting your comments - I'm just glad it's not down to me!