Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Suitable Boy

(108 Posts)
Teetime Mon 27-Jul-20 10:39:36

Did anyone enjoy this- I really did - didn't nod off at all?

Niobe Thu 30-Jul-20 23:01:06

I loved it after a slow start and was very impressed with the actress who played the courtesan. Her suitor , Maan, is the brother of the heroine,Lata. I have ordered the book from Amazon and it should arrive tomorrow.

maddyone Thu 30-Jul-20 23:11:42

Never read the novel but enjoyed the first episode.

Witzend Fri 31-Jul-20 10:31:53

Have been away but looking forward to finding it on the iPlayer soon. I never got around to the book, since it was a mega-doorstop and I can’t cope with those (too heavy and awkward to read in bed) but funnily enough was recently thinking of getting it on my Kindle.

OurKid1 Fri 31-Jul-20 16:33:19

I was really looking forward to it, and had set it to record (I often doze off after 9 pm!), but was very disappointed. I'll give it another chance this week ... we'll see.

MayBee70 Mon 03-Aug-20 23:42:15

I’m really not enjoying it I’m afraid. The scenery is nice but that’s all I can say about it. And I don’t think the acting is particularly good. I’ll stick with it but it wouldn’t bother me if I couldn’t watch it. The Luminaries was disappointing, too.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 00:01:27

Niobe Maan isnt Lata s brother, he s her brother in law s brother?
I m afraid I found last night s episode didn’t come up to my expectations and was pretty dull in the acting stakes It seemed a long time with little going on and I was getting some of the characters muddled up
Umm jury s out for now

Coolgran65 Tue 04-Aug-20 06:28:37

Have to say I found the acting a bit stilted too. I want to like it, can’t say I love it but will stick with it

DH hasn’t liked it at all

BibiSarah Tue 04-Aug-20 06:44:07

Im really enjoying it but then I do have an interest in the history of that part of the world and it would take a lot to make me lose interest in this series.

I have had to rewind it in a few places though to make sense of who's who and whether they're Hindu or Muslim. And as for Kabir saying he deserved and apology from Late - I hope he never gets one.

Im looking forward to next weeks episode as I think the time Mann spends in Rasheeds village is going to be very interesting.

Ive not read the book but I will now.

Esspee Tue 04-Aug-20 07:07:14

I am enjoying it for the costumes and scenery. To me some of the acting is rather unnatural by our standards and the story line predictable.

Puzzler61 Tue 04-Aug-20 07:15:32

Scenery and atmosphere is wonderful, acting average for me.
My, there are some beautiful Indian women and men!

I thought episode 2 was a programme of two halves. First half dragged, it got better in the second half. I’ll stick with it for now.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-20 08:00:43

I quite like the fact that it is a bit slow-moving - it gives me space to get my brain around who's who; made more difficult by the dark scenes where I can barely see what is going on. And then I have to turn the sound up as the accents make it hard to hear. Poor old crock!

Lata's move to Calcutta left me a bit confused - who the heck are the people she is now living with?

Costumes lovely.

LullyDully Tue 04-Aug-20 08:05:53

Lata is now living with her brother and the faithless wife who melted down the medals for earrings.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-20 08:09:49

And who is the young man who held her hand in the garden? - is that her brother? - her cousin?

And the young man who crashed drunk into the dinner party? - same guy?

So the older guy there is her brother's father-in-law?

Am I creeping anywhere near?

EllanVannin Tue 04-Aug-20 08:13:43

I follow it for the scenery and music grin And the beautiful people of course. I can see trouble at'mill.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 08:17:43

I went on line to try and sort out who is who and still can’t really remember I think there has been too many new characters introduce too quickly They went to the daughter in laws family in Cakcutter and sun ebony there’s about a dozen new people
I m finding it heavy going to be honest (and no I didn’t fall asleep this time) I will stick with it though
I too love the costumes and colour and the beautiful faces but is that going to be enough ?? Only time will tell
Some of the acting is not very good
I know the old boy lying around and abusing the singer girl is some kind of parliamentary chao but is he related to anyone?

BlueBelle Tue 04-Aug-20 08:19:35

Blimey I m really not drunk
cakcutter and sun ebony (where did that come from) Calcutta and suddenly

craftyone Tue 04-Aug-20 08:22:34

I turned it off, ridiculous acting and I couldn`t make out half of what they were saying

Iam64 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:14:29

I haven't seen episode 2 yet but I enjoyed the first series.
I love India, have been lucky enough to visit twice and should have been going back to Northern India in February but that isn't looking possible.
The countryside, the colours, the music and the different faiths coinciding all so evocative. The recurring theme of love between Hindu and Muslim recurs because its just that, a theme in Indian life.
I haven't read the book but will do so.

Luckygirl Tue 04-Aug-20 09:16:07

Good Luck! Iam - I tried to read it once and lost the plot in a big way!

sodapop Tue 04-Aug-20 09:21:02

I didn't enjoy it either craftyone typical over the top Bollywood.

Jane10 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:21:14

I caught up with episode 2 last night and, as I was more awake, was able to follow it quite well. The main actors are good but I do enjoy the vaguely 'pantomime' acting of some of the lesser characters.
I'll stick with it. It's so lovely to see India.

rubysong Tue 04-Aug-20 09:22:20

As regards the acting, I think that is an Indian thing. If you watch any Bollywood film it is the same. It is kind of stylised, not natural in our sense. Once I accepted that I enjoyed it more, but I'm still sorting out the characters.

maddyone Tue 04-Aug-20 10:30:00

I enjoyed the second episode just as much as the first. I love watching the beautiful people and the absolutely gorgeous saris. I used to work in a school with a percentage of Bengali pupils and around Eid we always threw an Eid party (not actually on Eid itself) and the lovely ladies used to dress any staff who wished in saris. I always wanted to dress in a sari. I loved wearing the saris, they are so elegant. When we visited Sri Lanka some years ago, I absolutely loved the beautiful saris the women were wearing. Of course, this programme is mainly about the Hindu religion but much of the culture is similar.

BlueBelle Mon 10-Aug-20 05:57:38

Oh well last night lost me I can’t keep up with all the characters and found it very laboured at times it seemed to go on and on with little happening
Help me out who was the man who was hoping to rape Lata.? I presume a relation
Who was the child who was lost underfoot ? ( I mean what relationShip/connection) ?

Maggiemaybe Mon 10-Aug-20 07:41:27

I’m really enjoying it, but just can’t keep track of the characters and relationships. I’d to google last night to find out more about the little boy (Bhaskar), but I’m not much wiser. He’s definitely Maan’s nephew, but some reviewers said he was Lata’s nephew and I don’t see how. Lata’s sister is married to Maan’s brother Pran, but they’re not Bhaskar’s parents. confused

I think the awful man who tried to rape Lata was her uncle? At least he said his poor daughter and Lata were cousins. If our library was open I’d be up there looking for a copy of the book just for the family tree at the front!

I can’t help feeling the adaptation of such a massive book deserves more episodes. It seems very rushed. Sometimes we get ten hours for a tale that could easily have been told in one.