Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Suitable Boy

(108 Posts)
Teetime Mon 27-Jul-20 10:39:36

Did anyone enjoy this- I really did - didn't nod off at all?

Grammaretto Tue 25-Aug-20 14:13:02

MayBee70 the one in prison was Maan who was Lata's cousin so he was never going to be in the running.

He advised her (very unlikely) not to go with her passion (the Muslim) because look where passion had got him!

The characters were hard to distinguish at times but you can google a cast list if it helps.

www.google.com/search?q=suitable+boy+cast&oq=suitable+boy+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i59j0j46j0j69i60l3.9794j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

merlotgran Tue 25-Aug-20 14:13:57

merlotgran

I watched the last two episodes with Luckygirl's family tree open on my laptop. I still had problems working out the relationships though.

Not Luckygirl's family tree grin

The one she posted a link to upthread!

BlueBelle Tue 25-Aug-20 14:15:12

I went to watch the last one and fell promptly asleep for the whole of it
I really didn’t get it all up to then and getting more and more muddled with the varying characters Certainly didn’t love it but I ll try and finish it on the iPad
I m not that bothered who she married to be honest the Muslim boy seemed the best to me but it didn’t really bother me if she went off to a nunnery I didn’t believe in her and her ‘ma’ Too much I m afraid

pollyperkins Tue 25-Aug-20 14:24:36

No the one in prison was her sisters husband brother. Her sisters husband was the serious one in glasses.
I got her muslin suitor mixed up with him as they looked very alike.
I was never sure who the poet was, or who was the creepy one who came into her bedroom. I think they were all in Calcutta.

Grammaretto Tue 25-Aug-20 14:40:16

pollyperkins ah! So that was it, so actually they could have married though presumably he, Maan was still too young and fancied the older woman.....

All the men were a bit unsatisfactory but it was set in the 1950s
no "New Men", then.

Amit, the poet was a Chatterji and related in some way too.
I will need to look up the family tree.

Nandalot Tue 25-Aug-20 21:58:53

Just watched episode 5. As I mentioned up thread, I was born in India thug we came back to England in1954 when I was quite young. We lived in Calcutta, at Sunny Park in Ballygunge where Lata’s Brother and wife lived! It was strange to see it as one of the settings of this episode. It was obviously quite an upmarket apartment block. We found it when we had a holiday in India, though it had been demolished and a multi storey block put up in its place, though the buildings around seemed original.

Nandalot Tue 25-Aug-20 22:01:52

Then not thug!