Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Princess Anne at 70

(84 Posts)
Cherrytree59 Wed 29-Jul-20 19:10:06

Looking forward to watching this documentary about the Princess Royal as her 70th birthday approaches.
ITV 9pm this evening.

There is a clip in the daily newspapers (online) about how Anne helped her Mum the Queen to take part in a zoom conference.

Zoom wasn't my radar until covid19 lockdown.

Lovetopaint037 Sat 05-Sep-20 10:05:11

Captain Mark Phillips did NOT abandon his wife. He was doing everything he could to stop her from being pulled out of the car. He came out of it as behaving like any normal loving husband. He was a military man after all and trained for emergencies.

Parsley3 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:28:41

I thought that this no nonsense, straightforward, honest documentary reflected Anne’s working life very well. I have always liked her and now that I know that she told her children to expect to earn their own living I like her even more.

Anniebach Sun 02-Aug-20 10:05:39

Yes a hard working royal As are her other two brothers ,

Happygirl79 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:52:36

Princess Anne is a credit to her mother and father and a very hard working royal
Unlike her brother PA who at the moment is a crushing embarrassed to them all

Calendargirl Fri 31-Jul-20 19:01:10

And she does her own hair often, by the sound of it.

varian Fri 31-Jul-20 18:53:32

The hairstyle is quite unique to Princess Anne, but the the Queen has a unique hairstyle and has Camilla. They all seemed to find a hairstyle which suited them at an early age and stuck to it.

NotTooOld Fri 31-Jul-20 16:34:30

As others have said, PA seems to be a lovely person with a lovely family. I'm glad I watched the programme now. I admire her for sticking to the same hairstyle all these years. I don't know anyone else who has done that. I wonder if she would secretly prefer to have it all cut off now. She might look rather nice with a pixie cut.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 16:13:18

They should have put her in charge of home schooling.
Enforced nature walks and wildflower identification!

I remember one of my nieces and I going for a country walk many years ago, she would have been about 7, and she knew the names of all the wildflowers in the hedgerows and different grasses too. She taught me a lot.

Elrel Fri 31-Jul-20 15:54:58

Thoroughly enjoyable programme about a thoroughly decent woman.

Deedaa Fri 31-Jul-20 15:35:21

I've looked at various threads about Anne on Facebook and there are just no nasty comments at all. People either like her or at least have a grudging respect for her. Not many people you can say that about these days.

J52 Fri 31-Jul-20 15:01:35

DH reckons she should be in charge of the Covid pandemic - no ambiguity just straight talking facts.

Royalist or not she has to be admired for her sense and straight talking!

Cherrytree59 Fri 31-Jul-20 14:39:10

I smiled when Anne said that she had offered to help with home school, doing some nature study, pressing things as children used to do.
As yet she has no takers.smile

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 14:20:21

I wonder if she bobs when she goes to see her mother?

annep1 Fri 31-Jul-20 12:56:38

I am actually surprised that Anne hasn’t told people to stop bobbing up and down.

grin

sodapop Fri 31-Jul-20 12:50:36

Something I often want to say merlotgran grin

I had forgotten what an attractive woman Anne was in her younger days. Of course she is still an attractive mature woman.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 10:26:38

merlotgran grin
Probably!

merlotgran Fri 31-Jul-20 10:01:58

Someone i would go to in time of trouble for help with a problem

But don't be surprised if her reply is, 'Get a grip!' grin

travelsafar Fri 31-Jul-20 08:57:29

I watched this on catch up yesterday and.... I loved it. She seems to be the type of person i would like as a friend. Hardworking, good sense of humour, no nonsense and full of good advise. Someone i would go to in time of trouble for help with a problem. I would love to meet her. I bet her GC adore her.

Ellianne Fri 31-Jul-20 08:30:25

I think Megan would have turned that one down. She doesn't like smells, (remember St. George's Windsor smelt too musty for her and she asked for air fresheners!)

Anniebach Fri 31-Jul-20 08:14:03

merlot. ?

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 23:36:52

Meghan would have flown in by private jet and given a speech about the empowering benefits of public toilets.

maddyone Thu 30-Jul-20 23:32:39

‘Princess Anne................opening the new public lavatory in Tobermory.’

Love it, this made me smile varian.

Sparklefizz I agree, I would have loved to see their faces had H+M been asked to open a public lavatory. I wish they had been asked grin

Anniebach Thu 30-Jul-20 22:27:21

I remember her saying that Deeda

Deedaa Thu 30-Jul-20 22:10:19

In the days when Diana was always seen hugging orphans in Africa and rather overshadowing Anne's work for Save The Children I remember Anne saying something to the effect that you didn't have to be soppy about children to believe that they all deserve a decent start in life. It seemed to sum, up her practical approach to life.

Harris27 Thu 30-Jul-20 18:54:25

Really enjoyed it and she came across very well.