Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Joy of Painting.

(4 Posts)
shysal Wed 12-Aug-20 09:27:38

I have just discovered that this programme is being re-run on BBC4 each weekday evening. It has somehow escaped my notice until now. I see it was filmed in 1984.
Bob Ross is amazing. I am not at all artistic, so wouldn't dream of painting along with him as suggested. The techniques look so simple but I am sure they are not.
I can thoroughly recommend the programme to anyone who has also missed it before.

shysal Wed 12-Aug-20 09:32:15

I have just Googled him and find that sadly he died from Lymphoma in 1995.

MayBee70 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:36:18

I’m on a Bob Ross appreciation Facebook page. I find it so sad that he brought so much joy to others but died tragically young. I have to have my Bob Ross fix every night. Painting the garden fence the other day I was saying to myself ‘happy little fence’ and my world is now full of happy little clouds. If only he could have known that every new generation rediscovers him. And he has brought me so much comfort during lockdown: his voice really relaxes me.

JessK Thu 13-Aug-20 10:04:36

Thanks for the heads up shysal. I watched the first programme last night and really enjoyed it. He made it look so easy and obviously enjoyed his gift. I shall definitely be watching the whole series.
Has anyone tried his techniques? I usually use watercolour or pastels so wonder if these mediums would work the same with his ideas.
A shame he has passed away. I agree he had a really relaxing voice.