Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

All Creatures Great & Small

(105 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Wed 02-Sep-20 10:17:53

Watched the first episode of this remake last night. I wasn't expecting it to be as good as the original one back in the 70s, but it was fantastic. I absolutely loved it. The characters were perfect, the animals, the beautiful scenes of the Yorkshire Dales everything! I would recommend it to anyone even if you don't like animals. There's a scene at the end where a calf is born after a very difficult birth and that reduced me to tears though. It's on channel 5 9pm on Tuesdays. My only complaint it should be Sunday night viewing.

shysal Wed 02-Sep-20 11:10:39

Thanks for the recommendation, I wasn't sure whether it would live up to the previous programmes which I enjoyed.
I have recorded it so will watch when I have time.
I noticed that it followed The Yorkshire Vet which I always record too.

glammanana Wed 02-Sep-20 11:18:21

"shysal" how I enjoy The Yorkshire Vet specially the older couple on the farm who where bonding the cows and the donkeys what a wonderful couple they are,I am going to watch All Creatures on catch up over the next few days heard such good things about it.

Alexa Wed 02-Sep-20 11:20:07

I loved it and it will be a must see from now on

merlotgran Wed 02-Sep-20 11:20:08

I thought it was every bit as good as the original and nice to see Mrs Hall getting more of a look in.

craftyone Wed 02-Sep-20 11:25:43

It was wonderful, a perfect end to a perfect viewing evening. Very very good and I am going to enjoy the whole series. They did us proud

Anniebach Wed 02-Sep-20 12:11:10

I didn’t know of this, thank you

Luckygirl Wed 02-Sep-20 12:14:45

I thought it was better than the original because the period features were captured better.

Greyduster Wed 02-Sep-20 12:20:34

We enjoyed it too. Sam West has a look of the original Siegfried, the wonderfully urbane Robert Hardy, about him I think (apart from the beard!). Looking forward to more.

25Avalon Wed 02-Sep-20 12:23:04

Really really enjoyed this. I won’t miss an episode. It made me laugh in places. I too think it was better than the original. No semi dark scenes you can’t see and low voices you can’t here unlike some disappointing ones the BBC have done lately. BBC always used to be good at period dramas bu Channel 5 take the mantle with this one.

DanniRae Wed 02-Sep-20 12:33:09

We really enjoyed it and are looking forward to next weeks. But I agree with a previous poster that it should be on Sunday evenings!

aggie Wed 02-Sep-20 12:35:20

I missed it ! I thought it was recording ! Now I’ll remember for the next episode

Gwyneth Wed 02-Sep-20 12:38:06

I really enjoyed it too. What a treat Tuesday night is with the Yorkshire vet and then All creatures. Channel 5 are producing some really good programmes currently and I find that I’m watching it far more than I do BB1 and ITV1.

sodapop Wed 02-Sep-20 12:43:34

I enjoyed it but its taking me a while to warm to the new actors. I will continue to watch though.

I agree Gwyneth I am enjoying programmes from channel 5, good stuff for us (we? ) animal lovers.

MiniMoon Wed 02-Sep-20 12:46:55

Me too Gwyneth, Channel 5 are outdoing the BBC with their dramas.
All Creatures Great and Small was wonderful and I enjoyed the nod to the original with the theme tune at the end credits.
Looking forward to the rest of it.

Ellianne Wed 02-Sep-20 13:11:23

It was delightful. The characters were very real (to the books), and likeable, especially the golden retriever!
I'm glad the BBC didn't try to do it, they would have included too much drama let alone introducing characters from minority groups if they could.
I shall definitely enjoy Tuesday evenings' viewing all the more now.

merlotgran Wed 02-Sep-20 13:18:52

A Woke Siegfried. Now there's a thought! grin

Smileless2012 Wed 02-Sep-20 13:21:37

I really enjoyed it.

Blinko Wed 02-Sep-20 13:23:16

Gosh, I thought it was a repeat so didn't watch. I will certainly be checking it out on catch up. Thanks, everyone.

threexnanny Wed 02-Sep-20 13:33:24

I loved the previous version, but so far so good with this one too. Sam West stepped into Siegfried role with ease. Mild criticism - Mrs Hall looked too young and attractive!

Teetime Wed 02-Sep-20 15:20:44

We really enjoyed it but I did used to love the original Mrs Hall- the new one is fine and I know they felt the characters needed modern refresh. I look forward to future episodes.

Auntieflo Wed 02-Sep-20 16:03:22

Thank you for all the good reviews.
I didn't watch it, as I fondly remember the old series. Sometimes these remakes are not so good, but I will watch it on catch up later.

Septimia Wed 02-Sep-20 16:26:56

I was unsure, having enjoyed the original version so much and disliked the film.

However, I think enough time has passed for comparisons to be difficult.

I thought it was well done, with pertinent humour, and I shall be watching the rest of the series.

Blinko Thu 03-Sep-20 11:25:00

I watched on catch up and loved it. The scenery was so beautiful and the characters lived up to expectation. A must watch now for me.

Jaxjacky Thu 03-Sep-20 11:36:25

Recorded and watched last night, loved it. Spoilt this week, with Strike, two new programmes to watch.