Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Amazon Prime

(16 Posts)
Birdwatcher4 Thu 10-Sep-20 21:59:46

I have just taken out a subscription so if I watch a film it’s free ! silly question I suppose but I seen a mention of payment for some films would be taken with one click payment what’s that all about .

Ellianne Thu 10-Sep-20 22:03:53

A lot of the films are free, there's a fairly good choice. Otherwise you do have to pay.

Birdwatcher4 Thu 10-Sep-20 22:08:40

Thanks Ellianne does it warn you that it’s one that needs payment before you click on the film ?

Shandy57 Thu 10-Sep-20 22:14:31

Yes Birdwatcher 4, if you have to pay it is clearly marked. I paid £1.99 for David Copperfield. So marvellous I now have a smart tv and am able to watch it on there!

Ellianne Thu 10-Sep-20 22:18:03

It's difficult to accidentally buy a film unless you click too fast. You can cancel it though.

Birdwatcher4 Thu 10-Sep-20 22:26:28

Thank you S 57 for that I have only this evening signed up and downloaded it to my new iPad so I was not really taking in all in but it looks good I also use a kindle app on my iPad so that should be a benefit as well with books .

Thanks all for the help will go through it all tomorrow will try the music as well .

Ellianne Thu 10-Sep-20 22:28:31

Its definitely worth it Birdwatcher4.

MerylStreep Thu 10-Sep-20 22:28:57

Birdwatcher
You will often find the pay films go onto the free films
I don't know what device you use when online but you can browse all the content on that device and add it to your watch list
I sometimes browse in the evening on my iPad. Then when I go onto prime all the films are on my watch list

MiniMoon Fri 11-Sep-20 00:12:36

The free films have a banner on the upper left corner which says "included with prime."
I usually have to remind DH to look for it.?

fevertree Fri 11-Sep-20 09:05:50

Birdwatcher if you're worried about the 'one-click' aspect and accidentally buying something you don't want, you can remove that feature in your settings.

We've watched some great programmes on Amazon.

MerylStreep Fri 11-Sep-20 09:13:37

Fevertree
I assume you mean removing your card details ? I never 'leave my card on Amazon. I know it's 99.9% safe but I don't want to be the 1% ?

TerriBull Fri 11-Sep-20 09:14:34

I took out on going membership after the lockdown, I haven't been tempted to pay for any extra programmes, there's quite a lot of free stuff included with the monthly fee, some of it's reasonable, lots of rubbish too, but I suppose that's to be expected.

Grandmabatty Fri 11-Sep-20 09:47:44

I've paid for films that I know I will want to watch over again. Like Netflix, there are some good films/series and some dross. If you have prime, you can buy goods from amazon and get them next day delivery. I use that facility often too.

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Sep-20 09:58:52

Birdwatcher please think twice about paying for music. I have never paid and I think I was turned down only once when I asked Alexa to play something for me.

Ellianne Fri 11-Sep-20 10:01:02

I guess if no one ever paid for anything then the free service wouldn't exist at all?

kircubbin2000 Fri 11-Sep-20 11:07:16

I went back to rewatch a series last night and it wouldn't let me even though it had been free the first time. Also wanted me to subscribe to a new platform Sundance or something to be able to continue a series I was following.