Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Woman's Hour - farewell Jenni Murray

(15 Posts)
annodomini Thu 01-Oct-20 10:42:29

I've been listening to Woman's Hour, on and off since the late 1950s. It was broadcast in the afternoon on the BBC Light Programme, presented by Margery Anderson. Even when I was a student and, thanks to a small legacy from my Granny, had acquired a transistor radio, I'd listen in on afternoons when I didn't have a lecture. I missed out on WH when I was teaching and when I went off to foreign parts for five years, but when I came back as a young mum, I caught up as if I had never been away. I remember Sue McGregor as presenter with great authority and presence and, for the past 33 years, Jenni Murray has kept us both informed and stimulated. Even my middle-aged son, when he is able to listen in the morning, finds the programme interesting and topical. He often discusses with me subjects that have come up that day. It's time to say goodbye and happy retirement to Jenni; hello and welcome to Emma Barton whom I admire as an excellent broadcaster on 5 Live and a penetrating interviewer on Newsnight.
What has Woman's Hour meant to you?

felice Thu 01-Oct-20 12:10:08

A bit of stability when things have been all of a kerfuffle.
I have been in Hospital often in the past 14 years, and the first thing DD always does is either bring in a radio for me or now make sure I have Radio 4 on my tablet, with headphones.
Jenni will be missed, she has never been afraid of courting controversy.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:28:10

I missed her last day. Think maybe ill find it on a podcast.

It's sad when "old friends" aren't there any more.
I can't bear Desert Island Disks anymore since the new woman took over, unfortunately. She just can't ask the right question and doesn't seem to have the same empathy... I hope woman's hour doesn't just completely change direction.

Goodbye Jenni. You will be missed.

welbeck Sun 04-Oct-20 00:46:33

i agree about Desert Island Discs, apart from the inimitable roy plomley, and it was a different age anyway, i think the best was kirsty young.
what has happened to her. i hope she's not ill.
the one she did with tony curtis was unexpectedly moving, for him too he said.
lauren laverne seems such a lightweight, has no depth. i guess it's the bbc trying to appeal to the youff.
and getting it all wrong as usual, like a vicar trying to play folk hymns, badly, on a guitar.
i much preferred sue mcgregor to jenni murray. ms murray could be quite sharp and intrusive, eg with jilly cooper. i didn't like that. not cricket.

NotSpaghetti Sun 04-Oct-20 00:55:18

I think Kirsty Young was ill? Maybe ME / chronic fatigue?
I was hoping she'd be back but I think probably not.

welbeck Sun 04-Oct-20 01:04:37

apparently she was/ is suffering chronic pain with fibromyalgia.
she is only 51/52. hope she's ok.

LullyDully Sun 04-Oct-20 08:42:57

I enjoy WH but recently it has become very " worthy". All doom gloom and unfairness to women . I shall miss Jenni Murray as a voice of reason.
However I admit that to survive it needs to appeal to a generation much younger than me, so I give in.

Galaxy Sun 04-Oct-20 08:44:10

I am sad she has gone but I think her voice will be stronger now she is not part of the BBC.

silverlining48 Sun 04-Oct-20 09:16:06

I always enjoy WH. I really hope the replacement is not going to change it too much. There seems to be a more Youth focus on r4 lately. A new programme late evening which I can’t Begin to understand or find remotely amusing. Can’t remember the name but it’s dreadful.
I must be getting old!smile

JackyB Sun 04-Oct-20 11:40:03

I respect Jenni Murray for all she has done for WH but I do think she had a couple of faults. Even after all those decades, he interviewing style never evolved from reading from a list of prepared questions, even if the interviewee had said something really interesting and relevant which she could have picked hi P on.

Also she would drop her voice at the end of sentences. My mother said she had difficulty hearing Sandi Toksvig, so she can't have heard more than the first two words of any sentence of Jenni's.

Kirstie Young was brilliant on Did. Roy Plomley and the others also just reeled off lists of questions. Kirstie really chatted and laughed with her guests, and if they were getting emotional she quickly changed the subject and played a record. Her questions always seemed to arise from what had just been said rather than a catalogue of things she was told to ask.

JackyB Sun 04-Oct-20 11:41:21

Sorry. That is supposed to read "picked up on".

D'oh!

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Oct-20 11:04:57

I heard Woman's hour today. It was unrecognisable. Missed the very beginning but not a good one. Don't know who presented it but she wasn't great and she had very poor guests - one who spoke in such a way that I now have no idea what she was talking about!

Has anyone else heard Woman's hour recently? What did you think.

annodomini Wed 21-Oct-20 11:46:52

I think that at present they are varying presenters. Today it was announced as Katya Adler who, I thought, was the BBC correspondent in Brussels. Maybe she still is. In my OP, I mentioned Emma Barton and should have said Emma Barnett who, or so I'd heard, would take over. If she does, I suspect that there will be a more controversial tone.

Riverwalk Wed 21-Oct-20 12:00:34

I tuned in just as the presenter was talking to someone about an art exhibition but there were technical problems and the woman's line kept cutting out.

Usually at such times, which are many these days as the guests aren't in the studio, they plod on for a few seconds, then call a halt and retry, but in this case they just let it go on for what seemed like ages with no intervention! It was a total waste of time and sounded very amateurish.

NotSpaghetti Wed 21-Oct-20 12:04:05

Yes, it sounded amateurish to me too Riverwalk. I just sort of "fuzzed out"!

Might be just me of course! hmm