Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

West Indian suport in WW2

(6 Posts)
Fennel Wed 14-Oct-20 19:58:49

I've just watched this programme about the West Indians who fought for us in WW2.
Very moving.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05v08b7

Spangler Wed 14-Oct-20 20:19:55

The West Indian recruits are well documented and known by WW2 re-enactors and how brave they were. The Nazis saw them as racially inferior, as witnessed at Wereth in Belgium, during what became known as, The Battle of the Bulge.

African/American troops who were already racially segregated back then, and the Nazis who captured those soldiers, saw fit to torture and slaughter them.

There's no evidence to suggest that the West Indian soldiers got wind of this, but had they been captured their fate would almost certainly have been similar to those of their American cousins. Brave men indeed.

My very good friend, who served 22 years in the army, told me that if you ask any soldier about his feelings towards someone in his ranks of a different colour, you will get the reply that, Brothers-in-Arms are just that. Race, creed, politics and religion, never separates them.

LullyDully Wed 14-Oct-20 20:37:46

I know that there were Jamaicans in the RAF in WW11.

M0nica Wed 14-Oct-20 22:22:31

In the war cemetery in Marseilles, where my grandfather is buried there is a large section of the cemetery given to soldiers of the West Indian Regiment who died, I think, in WW1. There is also a larger section full of Indian Army casualties of all ranks.

LullyDully Thu 15-Oct-20 08:23:33

We looked it up another were several Battle of Britain flyers from the WI. They were white Jamaicans I believe.

Namsnanny Thu 15-Oct-20 18:21:26

I saw a lovely program telling the story of West Indian volunteers to the RAF ect. in WW11. Very brave.

Troops weren't segregated in Europe as they were in the USA.