Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Abigail's Party on BBC4

(32 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 14-Oct-20 22:34:42

Is anyone else watching this? I am watching, literally from behind my hands.

I had forgotten how excruciating it is, and how brilliantly all the cast members played their parts.

Alison Steadman is toe-curlingly embarrassing as the host. Such a wonderful actor.

lemongrove Fri 16-Oct-20 21:33:26

EllanVannin

Janine Duvitski is a very underrated actress I think.
One foot in the Grave.
Waiting for God.
Benidorm.

Not sure if this was her first appearance as an actress in Abigail's Party----which I loved. Pretty cringeworthy in parts.

I agree....her constant comments about how they got their house cheaper make you cringe for her, and her socially awkward gloomy husband, such good acting all round.
I can’t hear Demis Roussos ( apology for spelling) without picturing Ange dancing about and all the embarrassed faces.
?

Daddima Sun 18-Oct-20 10:23:55

It was every bit as enjoyable second time around!
Mind you, I had forgotten just how good Janine Duvitski was. I thought it was sad to see her in Benidorm without Donald, as it just looked to me that she was being kept in it just for the sake of it, as the character added nothing.

I see the Play For Today episodes look to be on iPlayer under the play’s title, rather than Play For Today, so I’ll need to keep my eyes open!

merlotgran Sun 18-Oct-20 14:27:19

Having just watched Points of View I would love Mike Leigh to write an updated, woke version of Abigail's Party.

Tangerine Sun 18-Oct-20 19:19:32

I agree Merlotgran.

Tangerine Sun 18-Oct-20 19:19:54

Sorry, I ought to have written merlotgran.

harrigran Mon 19-Oct-20 10:07:34

We didn't watch Abigail's party this time, have seen it a few times and found it toe curling and buttock clenching.
I think we must have been the only people who did not have these type of soirees, DH would have divorced me if I had even suggested it.