Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Misheard Lyrics - Which are better?

(46 Posts)
clareken Thu 15-Oct-20 07:17:01

Sorry for the length of this post. For a little background, I have only heard this song over the last couple of years, after discovering Pentatonix (well worth a listen!), so not something sung wrong from childhood.

White Winter Hymnal (sorry can't post a link from my work computer, but on YouTube Music,) I am going to post the lyrics I have been singing for this, and then the proper ones. Which do you prefer?

I was following the packhorse
Following the goats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
A metal UFO
And all the lights turned red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

I was following the pack
All swallowed in the coats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
And Michael you would fall
And turn the white snow red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

In my defense, I am moderately to severely deaf, especially in one side, but still. The only reason I can now sing it properly, is that YouTube Music have a lyrics tab underneath the video!

So which is better? I like the image of goats in scarves, but think that they would probably eat them.

JackyB Sat 24-Oct-20 08:00:34

Thanks for that link Elegran, it had me in convulsions. I've seen a couple of those but this one was so funny.. It put the proper words right out of my head. Oh dear, I must get a tissue, it made me laugh so much.

Callistemon Fri 23-Oct-20 22:54:49

I used to think the Paul Young song 'Every time you go away" ( you take a piece of me with you) Was you take a piece of meat with you!
mrswoo
If this was on the car radio my DC used to chorus 'oh yuk!' Then would follow a gruesome discussion on which bit he'd taken this time ?

Katek Fri 23-Oct-20 22:47:19

Ds used to sing ‘knock, knock, knocking on Helen’s door’ for Dylan’s Knocking on Heaven’s door.

Luckylegs Fri 23-Oct-20 21:31:04

Does the Queen song NOT say “devil for a sideboard, yeh”?

Juliet27 Fri 23-Oct-20 21:26:06

A friend used to think the Beach Boys ‘I get around’ was ‘I bob around’

Glorybee Fri 23-Oct-20 21:19:04

When singing the Holly and the Ivy in primary school, I used to think there was a holly bear, and he must have been the best bear in the woods as he was ‘the crown’.

grumppa Fri 23-Oct-20 20:18:00

My mother believed for years that Poetry in Motion was A-a Tree in Motion.

BBbevan Fri 23-Oct-20 19:41:30

A little lad at school sang Harry Hoover for Hallelujah.

biba70 Fri 23-Oct-20 19:40:47

Could not understand why the Scots would sing about 'old enzymes'

nanasam Fri 23-Oct-20 19:39:21

Desmond Decker sung (or so we thought) 'wake up in the morning, baked beans for breakfast....., oooh, ooooh, me ears are alight'

MissAdventure Fri 23-Oct-20 19:31:09

My friend at school sang "We're gonna rock down to electrical canoe, and then we'll take it higher!"

Ashcombe Fri 23-Oct-20 19:06:06

My son heard the song lyric,

“Stand and deliver, your money or your life!”

and thought that Adam and the Ants were singing,

“Stand in your dinner.....!”

Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:53:50

Forgive me if I mentioned this before. Pupils at one of the East Lothian schools (possibly Haddington) who travelled by train had a wait on a very cold station in Drem.
For the Lords prayer they used to say “Lead us not into Drem Station”

Grannynannywanny Fri 23-Oct-20 13:22:58

Terribull your mention of Nativity play cast me back 35 years ago when my son was 5. The 3 wise men stepped forward with their gifts and individually announced..
I bring you gold
I bring you myrrh
I bring you Frankenstein ?

Grandmabatty Fri 23-Oct-20 12:39:06

I thought queen were singing about pork sausages too! So glad it isn't just me.

gulligranny Fri 23-Oct-20 11:56:01

There was that duet by Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers all about working in Scotland: "Highlands Industry" is what I always heard!

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-20 12:06:56

When one of ours was at nursery and they were preparing for their nativity play, he'd always refer to Little Baby Jesus as "Little Baby Cheeses"

GillT57 Thu 15-Oct-20 11:56:29

Hawkwind song 'I've got a silver machine' was always 'I've got a sewing machine' according to my late DM, who did of course have a sewing machine. As a child I used to sing along to Adam Faith's 'Message to Martha'....it was 'Message tomata' according to me.
And the best known is Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody 'The devil for a sideboard, for meee, for mee'

Elegran Thu 15-Oct-20 10:46:01

Was it this one, Grandmattie ?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIwrgAnx6Q8

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 10:19:11

My DGD would sing baa baa black sheep.....one for the little boy who lives down the lake.
Would not accept “Lane”.

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 10:17:35

“Just let me state for the record“.........
“Just let me me staple the vicar”. According to peter Kay, hilarious.

MissAdventure Thu 15-Oct-20 09:46:22

So that's what he's singing! I always sang onomatopoeia too. blush

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 09:43:49

Everyone knows the Onomatopoeia song, don't they?

Kid Creole and the Coconuts - 'Annie, I'm not your Daddy.'

We all sang along to O-No, O-No, Onomatopoeia, instead of, 'I don't, I don't, I don't wanna be ya.'

boheminan Thu 15-Oct-20 09:43:11

I still hear part of Paul Simon's 'Graceland' lyrics as 'The way she brushed her hair and farted' rather than 'The way she brushed her hair from her forehead'....

grandMattie Thu 15-Oct-20 09:41:23

DS2always sang about the “Limestone “ cowboy and got “no kick from shampoo”.
The funniest ever is a YouTube thing from Orff’s “Oh fortune”! Try and find it. I guarantee you’ll split your sides..,