Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Misheard Lyrics - Which are better?

(45 Posts)
clareken Thu 15-Oct-20 07:17:01

Sorry for the length of this post. For a little background, I have only heard this song over the last couple of years, after discovering Pentatonix (well worth a listen!), so not something sung wrong from childhood.

White Winter Hymnal (sorry can't post a link from my work computer, but on YouTube Music,) I am going to post the lyrics I have been singing for this, and then the proper ones. Which do you prefer?

I was following the packhorse
Following the goats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
A metal UFO
And all the lights turned red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

I was following the pack
All swallowed in the coats
With scarves of red tied round their throats
To keep their little heads
From falling in the snow
And I turned round and there you go
And Michael you would fall
And turn the white snow red
Like strawberries in the summertime.

In my defense, I am moderately to severely deaf, especially in one side, but still. The only reason I can now sing it properly, is that YouTube Music have a lyrics tab underneath the video!

So which is better? I like the image of goats in scarves, but think that they would probably eat them.

LullyDully Thu 15-Oct-20 08:17:45

I did think at one time that Bob Dylan sang " Lay lady lay , lay across my big chest babe. " (Not that BD was ever known as muscle man.)

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Oct-20 08:23:59

I like yours. Goats in red scarves, what could be cuter? smile

I still think my alternative lyrics to The Stranglers’ Golden Brown trump theirs.

I only found out a few years ago that they sing Lay me down, through my mind she runs, which is a bit boring compared to my Lay me down with my mancheros. It never crossed my mind to wonder what a manchero was, but it sounds pretty darned exotic.

sodapop Thu 15-Oct-20 08:26:51

When my daughter was young she always used to sing ' Ruby don't take your gloves to town' we didn't enlighten her grin

yggdrasil Thu 15-Oct-20 08:32:02

I always think K T Tunstall is singing of Leigh On Sea

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Oct-20 08:36:34

I just love that, sodapop. grin

mrswoo Thu 15-Oct-20 08:44:53

maggiemaybe I thought it was mancheros too! I somehow imagined they were a crisp-like cheese snackconfused
I used to think the Paul Young song 'Every time you go away" ( you take a piece of me with you) Was you take a piece of meat with you!

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 15-Oct-20 08:52:22

Four hundred children and a Croc in the field

Four hungry children and a crop in the field

Kenny Rogers? Might have to google it to make sure.

Nortsat Thu 15-Oct-20 08:52:32

Clare I prefer your version.

Lullydully I’ve got the giggles...

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-20 09:07:36

We played a lot of Bob Marley in the car when one of our sons was very young. His song which went "stand up for your rights, don't give up the fight" was interpreted by my 3 year old as "stand up for your rights, don't get off your bike"

I just love misheard lyrics, so funny, we've all been there grin

Grannynannywanny Thu 15-Oct-20 09:16:27

Our Father who art in heaven,
Blessed are thou a monk swimmin’

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 09:21:55

Yep Another mancheros here. I thought it was an exotic cheese. grin

Chewbacca Thu 15-Oct-20 09:23:57

When DS was little he always sang Dire Straights' "Money for nothing and your chicks for free" as "money for nothing and your chips for free"! grin

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 09:25:16

Instead of, 'Don't bring me your heartaches, I can't help you none.' I thought Paul and Barry Ryan were singing, 'Don't bring me your hard eggs, I can't help you, Nun!'

Grannybags Thu 15-Oct-20 09:33:02

You don't have to say you love me just because of ham. Dusty Springfield

I always thought Hit the road, Jack was Hipperoo Jack. No idea what I though that meant!

Teetime Thu 15-Oct-20 09:37:22

We always thought Paul Young was singing of Armadillo Donna - never did find out what the proper words were.

and Queen sang 'spare him his life for his pork sausages'.

MissChateline Thu 15-Oct-20 09:39:13

Silent night ends with “sleep in heavenly peas” according to my granddaughter!

Oopsminty Thu 15-Oct-20 09:39:30

One of the ones I remember discussing back in the day was Blinded by the Light. Nobody knew what the second line was. I used to sing wreckup a can doo we done a runner in the night

Also this clip is rather amusing. I know Peter Kay isn't everyone's cup of tea and it's a tad risqué in parts

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7my5baoCVv8

MissAdventure Thu 15-Oct-20 09:41:06

There is a Michael Jackson song with the lyrics
'Hold me, like the river Jordan, I will then say to thee, you are my friend.

My girl was singing 'hold me, like the river Jordan, you are a centipede, and I am your friend' grin

TerriBull Thu 15-Oct-20 09:41:11

At junior school we sang a hymn with the words "most highly favoured lady" which over time became "most highly flavoured gravy"....Bisto Kids were us!

grandMattie Thu 15-Oct-20 09:41:23

DS2always sang about the “Limestone “ cowboy and got “no kick from shampoo”.
The funniest ever is a YouTube thing from Orff’s “Oh fortune”! Try and find it. I guarantee you’ll split your sides..,

boheminan Thu 15-Oct-20 09:43:11

I still hear part of Paul Simon's 'Graceland' lyrics as 'The way she brushed her hair and farted' rather than 'The way she brushed her hair from her forehead'....

merlotgran Thu 15-Oct-20 09:43:49

Everyone knows the Onomatopoeia song, don't they?

Kid Creole and the Coconuts - 'Annie, I'm not your Daddy.'

We all sang along to O-No, O-No, Onomatopoeia, instead of, 'I don't, I don't, I don't wanna be ya.'

MissAdventure Thu 15-Oct-20 09:46:22

So that's what he's singing! I always sang onomatopoeia too. blush

Lucca Thu 15-Oct-20 10:17:35

“Just let me state for the record“.........
“Just let me me staple the vicar”. According to peter Kay, hilarious.