Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I’d like to see that again

(94 Posts)
Lucca Fri 23-Oct-20 18:35:08

Any really old tv series you’d like to see again? I’d like to see the Forsyte Saga

gulligranny Mon 02-Nov-20 09:17:44

The original Taggart, with Mark McManus, was a great favourite of mine. I'd also love to see Butterflies, Ever Decreasing Circles and a series called Gangsters, from the mid-1970s, set in Birmingham, which starred an actor called Maurice Colbourne and also Paul Barber. It was pretty violent, I recall, but very gritty and exciting and I was deeply in love with Ahmed Khalil who played the policeman (sigh).

GrandmasueUK Sat 31-Oct-20 15:24:57

I used to love 'The Strange Report' with Anthony Quayle and Kaz Garas. My friend and I thought it was so funny to imagine the main character introducing himself by saying "How do you do; I'm Strange". Every Monday we would greet each other like that after watching it at the weekend!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:32:36

I never saw the original Cold Feet, The Fast Show or Line of Duty - what treats I've missed. I'm too mean to buy DVDs etc or whatever format they call themselves, so it's hard cheese I'm afraid.

Daddima Wed 28-Oct-20 12:28:35

Iam64

The West Wing
and we can, it's on Four

I’ve just started to watch this, and it is superb! My only problem is that I felt I’d seen the actor who plays Josh in something else. A Google search didn’t help, so could it have been a lookalike? I’m not a big telly watcher, but this is really annoying me.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 28-Oct-20 11:29:27

We have Tutti Frutti, The Forsyte Saga and Beiderbecke on DVD and still enjoy them all. Also The High Life with Alan Cumming (Cummings?) - anyone remember that?

I used to love Adam Adamant and would like to see that again. Lots of good memories stirred by this thread!

Anniebach Wed 28-Oct-20 10:38:06

Ballykissangel. Ever Decreasing Circles. Just Good Friends.

FannyCornforth Wed 28-Oct-20 10:27:04

Yes, Minister is another one on 4 extra.
It's also available on Audible.

GrandmaKT Wed 28-Oct-20 10:23:40

Yes B9 I keep thinking it's high time for a remake of Yes Prime Minister. Though, as you say, truth is probably stranger than fiction at the moment!

B9exchange Tue 27-Oct-20 17:10:36

Yes Minister, and Yes Prime Minister, though I suspect they would be far too close to the truth now!

Also Just Good Friends, The Good Life, The Likely Lads. Showing my age I guess!

Witzend Tue 27-Oct-20 17:05:12

Yes, I really enjoyed it.

Another real oldie for a massive binge-watch - 24 episodes! - is The Pallisers, but then I was always a fan anyway, having read all the 6 novels more than once.

Lucca Tue 27-Oct-20 16:58:32

Witzend

*@Lucca*, one Christmas quite a while ago dh gave me the old B&W Forsyte Saga on DVD. We spent many long dark post-Christmas evenings enjoying that.

Did it stand the test of time ?

Witzend Tue 27-Oct-20 16:49:43

@Lucca, one Christmas quite a while ago dh gave me the old B&W Forsyte Saga on DVD. We spent many long dark post-Christmas evenings enjoying that.

Daisymae Tue 27-Oct-20 16:25:37

Jenny, Lady Randolph Churchill. Great series, a woman who lived her life.

Millie22 Tue 27-Oct-20 15:43:42

Yes Butterflies and the early episodes of Emmerdale Farm when it was actually about a farming family.

paddyanne Tue 27-Oct-20 15:39:57

Granny23 we have friends who live in the Howe of the Mearns and they put the most beautiful photographs online .
Its a series I would happily watch again another is The Sandbaggers which I dont remember being repeated due to some issues about the writer having links with Mi5 and it being too realisttc

Oldernewgranny Tue 27-Oct-20 15:34:44

Two that come to mind that always brought a smile to my face we’re Just Good Friends and Butterflies. Could do with more smiles at the moment.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 15:24:15

I think it's on the Drama channel, Flutterby if you can get that.

Callistemon Tue 27-Oct-20 15:20:53

Flutterby1

A Place to call Home. Australian drama.

That was on not long ago - is it still available?

I enjoyed what I did manage to see

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Oct-20 14:33:14

Grandma70s 'At Home with Hinge & Brackett' is on Radio 4 Extra this evening at 8.30 smile

Jane43 Sun 25-Oct-20 15:00:05

FannyCornforth

My mom absolutely loved Our Friends in the North - I've never seen it, but would love to.
Does anyone remember The Cedar Tree? I used to watch it when I went 'home for dinner' in the 70s.

I believe Our Friends In The North is on BritBox. Perhaps somebody who subscribes to this could confirm. I believe there is a free trial for a month, We are thinking of getting it if Covid restrictions increase.

Lynnieg Sun 25-Oct-20 11:39:05

Talking Pictures will be showing the original Upstairs Downstairs from Sunday 29th November. I can highly recommend Enemy at the Door which is on every Sunday at 9pm.
FannyCornforth Lots of people on TPTV Facebook group asking for The Cedar Tree so fingers crossed! smile

Grandma70s Sun 25-Oct-20 11:38:15

I don’t listen to nearly enough radio, FannyCornforth - must try.

I’ve got The Good Life, too, but not Ever Deceasing Circles, must get that. There was a couple in our road exactly like Howard and Hilda.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Oct-20 11:34:07

Grandma70s do you ever listen to BBC Radio 4 extra? I think it would be right up your street.
I love it.

Grandma70s Sun 25-Oct-20 11:32:01

My sons recently sent me DVDs of old comedies I used to like, so I have Bread, Sorry!, Hinge and Bracket, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Hi-de-Hi, Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister. Bread has 74 episodes, and Hi-de-Hi went on a long time, too, so there is plenty to keep me going and cheer me up.

NannyJan53 Sun 25-Oct-20 11:31:31

Comedies

The Likely Lads
Ever Decreasing Circles
Watching