Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Cliff on piers Morgan's Life Stories

(72 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sun 25-Oct-20 22:27:56

Anyone see Cliff being interviewed by Piers? I thought he came across very well and is a lovely man. I think the false sex allegation against him has really taken its toll on him though. What a terrible thing to have happened to him after such a long music career without a whiff of scandal prior to this. Surely these people who make false accusations should be named and shamed and given a custodial sentence. It's hard to believe that Cliff is 80 years old. He only looks about 50. I do think however that he's too thin and why was he wearing his tie undone? Either do it up or don't wear one at all! Apart from that long may he continue to keep us entertained.

Esspee Tue 27-Oct-20 18:16:46

I thought he had a long term partner - John Mcelynn. Isn’t this widely known?

Framilode Tue 27-Oct-20 19:13:20

I don't know whether he is gay (and don't care) but what I do know is that he used to spend a lot of time at the house of two gay cabin crew on our small estate in Weybridge. I have never particularly liked him but he was very kind to someone I used to know who lost her husband. Wherever he was in the world he got in touch every day. He spent time with her which is far more important than money.

Gingster Tue 27-Oct-20 19:24:08

Yep, he’s a phoney! Fake and hiding behind a veneer. Even his accent is Americanised. Watching clips of him trying to be Elvis. No, no no.

Urmstongran Tue 27-Oct-20 19:27:46

He looks happy and relaxed in that photograph Esspee.
Nice to see.
Whatever his sexual orientation it’s good to see happiness.
Their smiles reach their eyes.

Doodledog Tue 27-Oct-20 19:41:35

Gingster

Yep, he’s a phoney! Fake and hiding behind a veneer. Even his accent is Americanised. Watching clips of him trying to be Elvis. No, no no.

Yes, that always irritated me - he kept on about how he was the UK version of Elvis, yet Elvis was all about the sex - you can't have it both ways (no pun intended grin). The snarling lip was always completely at odds with his boy next door image.
He has seemed manufactured from the start.

I don't care whether he's gay, and don't see why he should have to talk about his sexuality if he doesn't want to, but he seems to patronise his fans with his fake persona.

I'm watching it now as a result of this thread, and he's really annoying me - so many obviously rehearsed answers to pre-arranged questions. It does make you wonder if there is something darker going on behind the facade.

HurdyGurdy Tue 27-Oct-20 19:46:16

About 35 years ago, my cousin was a Met Police Officer. (Quite wrongly) he told me back then, that the police national computer showed that Cliff Richard "likes little boys".

I don't know whether I believed him at the time or not, and I still don't know.

I didn't see the Life Stories programme, but I will have a look and see if I can find it on catch up.

cupaffull Tue 27-Oct-20 19:51:49

GrannyGravy13

Sorry I cannot warm to Cliff Richard, I watched last nights interview and my opinion is unchanged.

Me too. Don't trust him given he clearly lies about having work done on his face. Its' patently obvious from the shape of his eyes he's had either a lower facelift or his eye bags done. You can't disguise the reshaping of the outer lower corner of the eye when incisions are made.
Why not just tell the truth is the question. Who the hell would give a damn?

bluebirdwsm Tue 27-Oct-20 19:54:44

Cliff's fake persona and lack of personality, plus appearing to hiding who he really is means I do not take to him at all.

Music wise, there are 'greats' who have given us a wealth of wonderful songs...Elton John, Queen, Abba, Beach Boys, Tamla Motown artists, Beatles, Elvis to name just a few. I wouldn't put Cliff in with them, his songs are mediocre.

Iam64 Tue 27-Oct-20 19:57:16

The rumours have been consistent for forty years to my knowledge. From reliable sources like The source referred to by Hurdy Gurdy. We know that many public figures claim to have been totally exonerated only later for that to be confirmed as untrue.

bluebirdwsm Tue 27-Oct-20 19:58:14

HurdyGurdy I was being measured in my previous post but also know a bit more than I'm saying. I've heard facts, not rumours.

Iam64 Tue 27-Oct-20 19:59:40

Well bluebirdswm - same

honeyrose Tue 27-Oct-20 20:01:36

I can take Cliff or leave him - and I’d rather leave him. He is a bit of an enigma and I think he even said as much in the interview with Piers Morgan. I still don’t know whether to believe the allegations against him were true. I wouldn’t like to speculate as to his sexuality, and that’s fine - it’s his business not mine. The jury’s definitely out as far as I’m concerned. Interesting that he no longer has a home in the UK. Some of Cliff’s answers were witty, throw away remarks - possibly rehearsed - and not giving much away. I’ve never been a fan of Cliff - he’s a bit vanilla for my liking. I do quite like to watch Piers Morgan doing these kind of interviews - he’s probing, without being as aggressive as he can be on the morning programme.

merlotgran Tue 27-Oct-20 20:20:59

He has seemed manufactured from the start

They were all manufactured from the start. Remember all the managers and record producers who made a fortune out of them? It was only later that acts like the Beatles and the Stones were able to let their natural personalities shine through.

I liked Cliff in the early days but went off him when he went all 'holier than thou,' He was lucky it didn't kill off his career altogether.

I remember, from my dim and distant past, a campaign by some of Cliff's fan club and his sisters to urge Beatles fans to switch their allegiance to the Dave Clark Five who were the number two group at the time. I swore I'd never buy another Cliff Richard record again!

FlexibleFriend Tue 27-Oct-20 22:27:45

He'd clearly practiced his answers because he never once paused for thought before replying. He answered everything so quickly barely before Piers had finished the question.
I doubt anyone cares about his sexuality but he's so self obsessed he thinks that's all we think about. Idiot.

merlotgran Tue 27-Oct-20 22:31:41

Editing!

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 27-Oct-20 22:47:32

Apparently John Lennon was told not to let the fans know he was married as it would put them off him. I don’t think he hid Cynthia away and the fans didn’t give two hoots.

Kate1949 Wed 28-Oct-20 10:09:50

Sorry to disagree Ladyleftover. As a life long Beatle nut, I remember John Lennon did indeed hide Cynthia away until the truth came out.Some if the fans were very unhappy. A friend of mine was madly 'in love' with John. When it came out that he was married, she smashed all her Beatles records and tore up all her pictures.

merlotgran Wed 28-Oct-20 11:13:37

Kate1949 is right. The same went for Paul McCartney's relationship with Jane Asher. At school we were fans of both and Jane Asher was considered very 'cool.' When we read a newspaper article about them there were howls of anguish and JA was 'cancelled' (or whatever we called it in those days.)

Kate1949 Wed 28-Oct-20 11:18:50

Yes merlot From the age of 14 I was 'in love' with George Harrison. I hated blush Pattie Boyd. We were just kids. I loved George until the day he died. It's bizarre as obviously I didn't know him. He did chat to me once smile Strangely he didn't drop Pattie for me after the chat confused grin

faringdon59 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:27:27

I watched it and my opinion of him has not changed. Selfish in the extreme. Especially the part about dumping the girlfriend, when questioned by Piers about that I think his reply was 'well I did give her a kiss good bye!' Sometimes one statement gives a big insight into someones personality.
Reminded me of Prince Charles being asked upon his engagement to Diana if he was in love, to which he replied something like 'yes, whatever that is!'
Cliff's biggest problem, as I see it, was he became famous in a a time when being 'gay' was accepted or legal as it is today. Even at the end of the interview when they showed a photo of him with his now live in partner he wasn't open about it.

faringdon59 Wed 28-Oct-20 12:28:44

Sorry! previous message should read NOT accepted as it is today.