Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sarah Beeny's new life in the country

(32 Posts)
varian Wed 02-Dec-20 19:20:28

Sarah Beeny is accused of 'painful citysplaining' by viewers over plan to knock down 'Little House on the Prairie' dairy farm to erect a mansion and build her own forest for 'woodland walks' on New Country Life

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8965429/Sarah-Beenys-New-Country-Life-slammed-viewers-painful.html

I watched this programme and it seemed to me that there was a startling disconnect between the wish to have a muddy boots back to nature country life and the intention to shut down a farm and to build a grandiose imposing imitation neo-classical mini stately home in the middle of a field.

What do you think?

varian Thu 03-Dec-20 18:19:42

Nothing wrong with being an astute property developer, which Sarah Beeny obviously is.

Perhaps something slightly wrong with the way her latest development is being spun by TV.

trisher Thu 03-Dec-20 18:23:15

Nothing wrong with being an astute business woman, but the lying, misleading, misrepresentation and general lack of respect both for the public and the planning authorities isn't appealing.

Ellianne Thu 03-Dec-20 18:23:52

Will the houses be actual homes or will they be holiday lets? Maybe even accommodation for those attending events/weddings?

varian Thu 03-Dec-20 18:26:21

Who knows?

The most valuable planning permission is for "dwellings"

Dwellings can easily become airbnb or holiday lets but holiday let planning permissions are worth less because they cannot easily become dwellings.

Missfoodlove Thu 03-Dec-20 19:48:40

The Rise estate is in Holderness an agricultural area east of Hull, it would never have been a building to have been converted into flats/apartments.

There are no facilities within miles and to get out to the motorway network or to Hull is not easy.

The areas west of Hull are far more popular.

trisher Thu 03-Dec-20 21:10:05

I think you are mistaken about them not selling Missfoodlove I compared properties in the Rise area with properties in Kirk Ella. Properties on the East of Hull are quite a lot cheaper and of comparable size, so I think they would have buyers. There are also some new builds there, so some houses must be selling. I know West Hull has always been more popular (I grew up there) but I think it is becoming too expensive.