Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rita - Netflix. Need a recommendation for a replacement to binge watch.

(52 Posts)
Esspee Wed 09-Dec-20 18:09:51

Having come to the end of series 5 of Rita, a Danish export, we are looking for suggestions as to what we might enjoy next.
We have enjoyed Rake an Australian series,
Spiral, French,
The Bridge, Danish/Swedish,
Breaking Bad, American,
Heist, Spanish,
The Good Wife, American,
Designated Survivor, American
Offspring, Australian

We don’t like horror or science fiction.

All suggestions welcome.

Esspee Fri 11-Dec-20 11:46:53

Chesapeake Shores is cheesy, though wholesome.
Oh have I mentioned Greenleaf? We thought when we watched the first episode it was going to be too religious. It was brilliant. Highly recommend it.

SparklyGrandma Fri 11-Dec-20 11:52:37

The West Wing on Channel 4
The Crown on Netflix
Upstairs Downstairs on Britbox
Hill Street Blues on Channel 4

trisher Fri 11-Dec-20 11:57:46

Don't know if it's on Netflix but on Now TV- Succession. 2 series. Season 3 was due to be in production when Covid struck. Stars British actor Brian Cox.

Jane43 Sat 12-Dec-20 19:58:45

Esspee, I watched one episode of Greenleaf and wasn’t sure about it but I will give it another try.

Trisher, Succession is only on Sky Atlantic and Now TV. We had a week’s free trial of Now TV but I was only able to watch The Undoing and two episodes of My Brilliant Friend, series 2. I would love to watch Succession if we have Now TV in the future.

Esspee Sun 13-Dec-20 22:52:09

vegansrock we have just finished Marseille, loved it, thank you for the recommendation.
felice we have moved on to Bordertown, our first Finnish series and it looks like something we will enjoy so thanks for that.
I do realise we watch far too much TV these days but it IS getting us through lockdown.
All recommendations are being noted so please keep suggestions coming in. Thanks.

trisher Mon 14-Dec-20 11:16:26

Just noticed that the last series of Spiral is coming up- and all the others are on I-player. Time for a marathon session!!!

Redhead56 Mon 14-Dec-20 11:26:02

Unorthodox is good

Kamala23 Sat 26-Dec-20 12:09:41

How to get away with murder. Brilliant - and six series of it to plough through!

Mollygo Sat 26-Dec-20 12:35:34

Miss Fisher’s murder mysteries-along with lots of those mentioned here. Lucifer, Unforgettable and The Listener. Doyle’s Law and Bones and if all else fails, The Big Bang Theory!

icanhandthemback Sat 26-Dec-20 13:00:10

We are really enjoying Orphan Black, not least because the main actress plays loads of parts in such a stunning way as it is about clones. Honestly, I usually hate it when one person plays lots of roles but she is so good that sometimes it is hard to know it is her. In the first episode, I hated her and her foster brother but as time went on, I began to really like them both. Alison Steadman makes an appearance throughout some of the later series and I honestly didn’t recognise her she was so good.

Jillybird Sat 26-Dec-20 14:31:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

gillyknits Sat 26-Dec-20 15:24:36

Would really recommend Better Call Saul and Thev
Kosinski method . There’s a new Scandinavian series on called Equinox but haven’t seen it yet.

GrammarGrandma Sat 26-Dec-20 18:22:52

Spiral Series 8 starts on BBC4 on Saturday 2nd January - can't wait!

Oldbat1 Sat 26-Dec-20 18:38:24

Mrs Maisel was good
A Place to Call Home - Australian Drama
800 Words - set in New Zealand

Nothing nasty in any of the above. Just a pleasant watch

paddyanne Sat 26-Dec-20 20:00:08

Yellowstone on a good watch with characters that draw you in

Esspee Sat 26-Dec-20 23:27:43

Mollygo. We love The Big Bang Theory. It doesn’t matter how many times you have seen an episode it is still funny.

We were invited to a live showing of an episode as a guest of Mayim (Amy). She was a wonderful hostess and invited us on stage at the end and introduced us to the team. We have a photograph sitting on the couch with her, my OH in Sheldon’s spot.
The cast are remarkably like their screen characters in real life.

Taylor53 Sun 27-Dec-20 09:19:51

Just finished Virgin River on Netflix, literally sat down and binge watched, haven't done that in a long while.

Laughterlines Sun 27-Dec-20 10:48:29

Money Heist
Prison Break

Lindaloulabel Sun 27-Dec-20 11:01:36

I’ve loved all of these but can’t think of any more at the moment.
Call the Midwife
Downton Abbey
Derry Girls
Better Call Saul (prequel to Breaking Bad)

Esspee Sun 27-Dec-20 11:07:40

Money Heist was good Laughterlines. It went onto a gold heist and our interest waned.
Might have a look at Virgin River tonight Taylor53 as we finished Bordertown last night. I’m going to miss Kari. I do hope that they do a fourth series.
As a bit of light relief we put on Bridgerton. OH retired to bed with a book after 15mins but I kept on watching, at first in horror at the ridiculous inaccuracies but loving the costumes then the Simon Basset character started stirring feelings I haven’t experienced for a long time?

EEJit Sun 27-Dec-20 11:46:50

Designated Survivor, best programme we've watched for ages.

NanaPlenty Sun 27-Dec-20 12:32:01

Virgin River - Netflix and The Crown - I’m just sorry I’ve got to the end of both.

Witzend Sun 27-Dec-20 12:50:06

Salamander was a v good one, at least dh and I thought so. A Belgian series about dirty doings in high places - it was a former offering on BBC 4 in the Saturday night slot.
Haven’t checked whether it’s on NF but I’d hope so.

Dh particularly enjoyed Marseille - and so did I except for the subtitles often being very hard to read.

Esspee Sun 27-Dec-20 15:18:46

Made a start on Virgin River. So far it reminds me of Chesapeake Shores.

morethan2 Sun 27-Dec-20 21:07:53

Davida1968 I so agree with you. We watched the ‘The Americans’ on dvd we’d had in a draw for ages during the start of lockdown in March. It’s the only time I can truly say we binge watched anything. We once started watching at 5 in the evening and forced ourselves to bed at 1 o’clock. I think we managed the whole series in two weeks. We lent it to a neighbour who beat us and watched in a week. I think the one of reason our generation would enjoy it is because it’s set in a time with no mobile phones or internet. I can’t remember ever enjoying any series so much