Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

No wonder we need Netflix

(51 Posts)
Lucca Thu 10-Dec-20 19:07:41

Just had a look at the offerings on “normal “ tv. Dire. Masterchef, nadiya in America (presumably more food)A few daft game shows......the ubiquitous Greg wallace on Christmas markets....

Delila Sat 12-Dec-20 19:06:26

Thankyou Kircubbin, you’ve reminded me of Spiral, one of my favourites, and I find I can watch it from the beginning on iPlayer. Yay!

Dinahmo Sat 12-Dec-20 18:16:19

Have you seen The Bridge? Danish/Swedish cop series. I'm working my way through all the series for a second time. Line of Duty. Both of them on BBC IPlayer.

nannan Sat 12-Dec-20 16:31:00

We have started to watch european dramas on all4 ,I know they are subtitled but absolutely riveting highly recommended.

allium Sat 12-Dec-20 15:49:10

Totally agree, thank goodness for Netflix and Prime etc. 'Normal' tv very poor these days.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 12-Dec-20 15:28:23

Maybe sometimes it's just the mood we are in. Today I had to sew up some knitted gifts, not my favourite chore! I turned on BBC2. It was half way through a programme on Elizabethan customs at Christmas which was very interesting. This was followed by a Christmas baking programme and the Hairy Bikers at Christmas. After that an interesting programme on Debbie Reynolds. I'm now watching Half a Sixpence which I havent seen in decades and is rather lovely! Its felt both festive and nostalgic in an uplifting way?

Luckygirl Fri 11-Dec-20 12:39:14

Netflix, amazon prime and Skyarts (on freeview now - 11) keep me going. I agree that All4 is good too.

Jane43 Fri 11-Dec-20 12:02:50

I was waiting for the Geoff cohesive control story line to come to an end before I stop watching Corrie for good. The story has dragged out for months but the ending seemed rushed and improbable. I also seldom watch live tv these days and we do have Netflix and Amazon Prime but I am a big fan of BBC iPlayer and All4 as well. We always used to buy the Christmas issue of Radio Times to see what was being screened over Christmas but won't bother this year.

Daddima Fri 11-Dec-20 10:25:50

I ‘borrow’ Netflix, Amazon Prime, and SkyGo from my sons. In return, two of them borrow my Britbox ( £5.99 a month). It’s showing lots of old Christmas specials, and I’ve watched Eastenders, Coronation St, All Creatures Great and Small, To the Manor Born, and The Good Life. Between those and iPlayer and the other free streaming channels, I couldn’t tell you when I last watched ‘ordinary’ telly.

petra Fri 11-Dec-20 10:14:40

Last night couldn't have been better for me.
All on BBC4
University challenge
Bob Ross
Coast
A lovely film called Brooklyn. Julie Walters played a very good part.
Then David Attenborough being interviewed by Kirsty for his 90th birthday with Micheal Palin and Chris Packham as guests. Perfect ?
I do have Prime and Netflix. Prime is great value for £79 per year.

kircubbin2000 Fri 11-Dec-20 09:45:29

I'm rewatching Spiral as I never saw the first series. Also discovered Yorkshire Vet and Kitten Rescue which are good. I believe channel 5 and more 4 iplayer have good stuff.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Dec-20 09:42:35

And yes BlueBelle, I agree that sadly we all expect so much more from absolutely everything.

Can remember when our first tin of Quality Street was a thing of wonder, such a treat at Christmas, now when we can just chuck it in with our weekly shop.....

We can’t go back I know, and in truth we wouldn’t want to as we see the past through rose coloured specs, but it’s just a bit sad sometimes.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Dec-20 09:38:11

Yes, agree with all the comments about Wednesday’s Corrie. Geoff acted his socks off, but I did wonder if he were really dead! The final few minutes were an absolute farce.

Tony Warren must be spinning in his grave!

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Dec-20 09:31:43

I agree most terrestrial TV is dire this Christmas and I understand there have been issues in making new programmes this year. I had hoped for a couple of decent films, Paddington, yet again, which I enjoyed first and even second time. As the licence money has still been rolling in, the BBC could have purchased something from the myriad of films out there. Good job we like sport and have Sky.

Oldwoman70 Fri 11-Dec-20 08:49:16

The only thing I watch on live TV is the news as I rarely find anything that interests me. I don't watch soaps, so called "reality" programmes, dancing, cooking or gardening shows. I don't have Netflix or Amazon but do have a good DVD collection. Christmas will be spent watching all the old feel good Christmas films.

David0205 Fri 11-Dec-20 08:38:58

It is dire on the mainstream Chanels look further down, there are some surprises, we do have Netflix but a lot of that content is second rate too

Lucca Fri 11-Dec-20 08:35:17

Yes Corrie was ridiculous. It had been a good storyline but much better to have Geoff arrested or something. It was so awful I think I might finally give up watching!

Gingster Fri 11-Dec-20 08:30:36

Corrie was dreadful on Wednesday. What a shame this long running abuse plot ended in such a daft way. I got crosser and crosser as the episode unfolded.

shysal Fri 11-Dec-20 08:26:21

When I bought my double Christmas edition of the Radio Times I was very disappointed. There wasn't a single programme that I really wanted to see! I have a couple of Nicholas Sparks triple film DVD sets which I shall keep until the holiday period, and I have renewed Netflix for another month.

NanKate Fri 11-Dec-20 08:21:20

A GN friend suggested Virgin River on Netflix, usually not my type of viewing but she was right I am hooked. It’s like a US version of Dr Finlay’s Casebook for the modern day. In fact it is all set in Canada and the scenery is wonderful.

BlueBelle Fri 11-Dec-20 08:02:03

Fisherman’s friend was a lovely film I saw it at the cinema when it first came out
Well I guess the answer is the same calandergirl as how happy we were with and an orange apple some nuts and a Rupert annual in our stocking ‘those were the days’ but I suppose we expect something a bit more for our money now
I don’t have any paid for tv but am going to start thinking about it

Juliet27 Fri 11-Dec-20 07:52:13

I watched Fisherman's Friends too Lilypopson Prime - loved it. Also enjoyed The Upside, Lad and Cider with Rosie.

Calendargirl Fri 11-Dec-20 07:38:52

Reading through all these comments, and I don’t have Netflix or Amazon, anything you pay extra for, I do wonder how we managed when we just had BBC1, 2 and ITV.

No catch up or videos, so if you were out, you just missed your favourite programme.

It seemed so exciting when Channels 4 and 5 were launched.

As for Christmas, I remember one particular year, my sister and I marked out all the programmes in the Radio Times that we planned to watch. There was an abundance of stuff we wanted to see, often Christmas was when a really good film, (made 3 or 4 years ago, so pretty new!) was first aired on tv.

Oh, happy days!

(Sigh).

?

BlueBelle Fri 11-Dec-20 07:14:00

woodmouse I dont think it’s Bluebelle and lucca 90% of this thread is saying the same thing
My whole point is if we are paying a tv licence we should have a reasonable choice at least most nights of the week and although Thursday nights are pretty poor there is nothing much to look forward to any night of the week if you re not interested in fake reality programmes
grannywanny I was looking for a thread about Corrie That end was a ridiculous pantomime and I was laughing as they hung onto the roof by their fingertips it really was pathetic it would have been so much better to have finished it in the courtroom It was a mess and so out of this world in the realms of possibility that it was a “ he’s behind you” moment Then up pops Aaliyah who had been left unconscious and for dead

Geoff had acted the part superbly though

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 11-Dec-20 06:39:09

I tend to watch a mix of it all although I rarely watch live tv as hate sitting through adverts,especially on cable channels.
I've had Netflix and Amazon for a long time now and Amazon used to be good for films and Netflix documentaries.
I will always find something to watch,especially when im knitting! Although they both have their highlights I find Amazon frustrating in that increasingly there output seems to be films or channels you pay extra for. There are some excellent things to watch on Netflix but I find once you get past the crowd pullers ,and it may be due in part to the pandemic,theres an awful lot of rubbish!
If anything it could be argued we have to much choice.
One trend that seems to be increasing are the subscription channels. First it was Apple TV,then Britbox ,Disney and now Discovery have one. I do wonder how this will pan out. At the moment the majority of the things that are on Britbox and Discovery can be seen on cable channels and their catch up hubs. Admittedly you may not have direct access immediately but programmes that are popular such as the Royal Family etc usually are repeated frequently. I suppose not everyone has a TiVo box or the equivalent.
I do however wonder if these programmes will gradually disappear from channels such as UK Gold etc and only be on specific pay for view packages?

Redhead56 Fri 11-Dec-20 01:41:41

Short courses on Future learn Amazon prime and Netflix have kept me sane through this COVID virus.