Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dame Barbara Windsor, RIP

(51 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 02:07:48

Barbara Windsor died yesterday 10th December aged 83.
She was an icon of British entertainment really, wasn't she.
From music hall and Carry On to EastEnders.
Quite a life...
Barbara is survived by her third husband Scott Mitchell.

Sarnia Fri 11-Dec-20 14:31:03

JenniferEccles

We will never see her like again will we?
She was certainly not the stereotypical dumb blonde either.
Gyles Brandreth was talking about her on the Jeremy Vine radio show earlier and he said that she scored the highest mark in the 11+ in north London.

I wonder if there will be a re-run of some old Carry On films or would they be deemed not suitable for today’s woke generation?!

If the woke generation don't like them they can turn to another channel or turn off.

Lucretzia Fri 11-Dec-20 14:36:55

I though this was rather lovely and sad as well!

I did love Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey

Nanna58 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:40:23

My husband has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. What a trouper she was , both on and much more off , screen. She always seemed so happy with life.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Dec-20 14:51:19

I know I will be the odd one out here, please don't all jump on me but I didn't think she was a great actress - she just played herself - she couldn't do any other parts. I didn't think she deserved to be made a Dame as she is nowhere near on the same level as Maggie Smith or Judi Dench.

Loislovesstewie Fri 11-Dec-20 15:31:07

Sparklefizz; I was waiting for someone to say it. I agree with you. And I can't stand Carry On films either. I find them puerile and unfunny. (Yes, I know I don't have to watch them and I don't)

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Dec-20 16:06:20

I totally agree with you about the films Loislovesstewie.

Ilovecheese Fri 11-Dec-20 16:18:31

I rather liked Carry on Cleo.
"Infamy, infamy, they've all got it in for me!"

varian Fri 11-Dec-20 17:57:06

She had the only Cockney accent I could ever bear to listen to. RIP{ Barbara.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 18:51:02

Sparklefizz

I know I will be the odd one out here, please don't all jump on me but I didn't think she was a great actress - she just played herself - she couldn't do any other parts. I didn't think she deserved to be made a Dame as she is nowhere near on the same level as Maggie Smith or Judi Dench.

I'm pretty certain that she was made a Dame due to her charity work rather than her skills as a thespian.
The only person comparing her to Dench or Smith is you!

bikergran Fri 11-Dec-20 18:52:59

Just happened to buy a tv magazine for over Christmas etc and have noticed most of the "Carry on films" are going to be on.

This of course will have been printed a while ago, before news of Barbara's death today.

Think they are shown most Christmases.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 18:53:13

Loislovesstewie

Sparklefizz; I was waiting for someone to say it. I agree with you. And I can't stand Carry On films either. I find them puerile and unfunny. (Yes, I know I don't have to watch them and I don't)

And noone is forcing you to comment on a thread celebrating a recently passed much loved woman either.

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Dec-20 18:53:19

Ok, Fanny, I just hold a different opinion. I didn't know I had to pass it by you first. smile smile

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 19:15:51

You don't but it is disrespectful when someone has just died.

Unless you knew her personally, how do you know she was just playing herself?
We know someone who acted with her and she could act.

She played Marie Lloyd too.

Megs36 Fri 11-Dec-20 19:26:50

I mentioned this in Chat, I saw her flying as Peter Pan ,the first panto we took our grandsons to see in Stevenage, they are now 31 and I doubt they remember.?

Sparklefizz Fri 11-Dec-20 19:30:02

For heaven's sake, whatever happened to free speech? I just said I didn't think she could act, and that it was my personal opinion, in just the same way that GNers commented on Sean Connery after he died recently. Check out Barbara Windsor's Wikipedia page if you want to see the life she led.

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 19:32:00

I think free speech should be defended so why not start another thread, Sparklefizz?
I think this one is a respectful of someone who had suffered with Alzheimer's and has now died.

Deedaa Fri 11-Dec-20 19:51:25

Very sad to see her so frail when she went to meet Johnson.

grumppa Fri 11-Dec-20 22:41:42

I don’t think she just played herself at all. She was typecast in the Carry on films, but so were Sid James, Kenneth Williams, Hattie Jaques, Charles Hawtrey, Bernard Bresslaw - the list is endless. She showed her range on stage, and indeed in Eastenders.

DW received a long service award from her, and she was delightful to everyone at the ceremony.

Favourite Carry on? Cleo and Up the Khyber, neither of which starred Babs, as it happens.

welbeck Fri 11-Dec-20 23:34:56

Marydoll

^Carry on up the Khyber^ was my favourite. It was the scene with the soldiers lifting their kilts to scare off the natives, which appealed to me.

i love the scene where the britishers are being bombarded and they continue in all their finery and dress uniforms at formal dinner, while chunks of masonry are flying around. the dogged insistence on keeping up appearances, even when under fire, is both touching and ridiculous.
some of the discussions on here re use of cutlery etc remind me of that. also ridiculous, elevating mere conventional practice to a marker of moral rectitude.

MissAdventure Sat 12-Dec-20 00:17:32

Carry on camping for me.
Not particularly for the scene with Barbara, but all the silly jokes. (And Kenneth Williams getting toothpaste in his eye in the shower cubicle. smile

I also love Carry On At Your Convenience, Screaming, Abroad... smile

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Dec-20 05:06:16

My top three are Khyber, Cleo and Screaming.
Screaming doesn't have Barbara or
Sid James in it and is none the worse for it.
I think Harry H Corbett is brilliant in it, and as for Fenella Fielding...tchgrin

Galaxy Sat 12-Dec-20 07:46:24

I think it's fine for people to say they dont like the carry on films on here, I dont think that's disrespectful, people have different tastes and I am sure Barbara Windsor understood that, I hated the carry on films but really enjoyed her performance in eastenders.

FannyCornforth Sat 12-Dec-20 07:56:25

Galaxy I totally understand why people don't like the films, in fact there are features of them that I dislike intensely.
I just feel a great nostalgia for that period, and love so many of the actors, Kenneth Williams in particular.
(I'm a bit obsessed with Julian & Sandy tchblush)

Elrel Sat 12-Dec-20 23:53:00

60 years ago I saw the original stage production of ‘Fings Ain’t What They Used T’Be’. I remember being transfixed by a little Cockney blonde belting out ‘Where do Little Birds Go in the Wintertime?’ She gave the song real pathos and I thought at the time that she could really act.
RIP a real trouper.

Sophiasnana Sun 13-Dec-20 18:05:26

Sparklefizz, Agree with you 100%. Everyone is entitled to their opinion...thats what this forum is for. The carry on films were funny in their day (60s/70s) but probably have no place in this PC world. She wasnt a great actress, and I always laughed at how she was portrayed as a ‘buxom blonde’ when she had two little fried eggs!
However, she did come across as a very nice, genuine lady and had a very happy marriage with Scott.