Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dame Barbara Windsor, RIP

(50 Posts)
GillT57 Fri 11-Dec-20 14:27:03

I wonder if there will be a re-run of some old Carry On films or would they be deemed not suitable for today’s woke generation?!

They are on almost continuously when you scroll down your tv guide, there is always one on somewhere, so it would seem your comment about today's woke generation is wrong! Did anyone see her on Who Do You Think You Are?. Very interesting life. Involvement with the Krays, one of her godparents was a gangster of some sort, and her first husband was an armed robber, but she seemed to move on from all that and make a happy marriage with her husband Scott. Hopefully such a high profile victim will give the Alzheimer's charities with which she was involved, some welcome fundraising publicity.

ixion Fri 11-Dec-20 13:25:20

I am hoping for a re-run of an earlier 'Who Do You Think You Are?' on Barbara Windsor.
Heartily recommended.

Nannan2 Fri 11-Dec-20 13:18:29

The old carry on films are often on sky etc especially at bank holidays etc and i think christmas will be no exception.Will look out for 'sparrows' film on talking pictures, thank you.

Nannan2 Fri 11-Dec-20 13:16:08

So sorry to see her go- really was one of the good classic ones! We have sadly lost so many stars this year..im thinking my mam up in heaven will be organising a good show of all her old favourites this year for the angels! ?

JenniferEccles Fri 11-Dec-20 13:04:36

We will never see her like again will we?
She was certainly not the stereotypical dumb blonde either.
Gyles Brandreth was talking about her on the Jeremy Vine radio show earlier and he said that she scored the highest mark in the 11+ in north London.

I wonder if there will be a re-run of some old Carry On films or would they be deemed not suitable for today’s woke generation?!

Jaberwok Fri 11-Dec-20 11:32:27

On I am sorry to hear this news. She epitomised an age when a film could be naughty, harmless fun, without causing enormouse outrage and finger wagging. I guess they'd be banned these days. She always seemed a lovely lady and an excellent actress. Another familiar face from the past that's now gone.??

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 10:05:41

As well as being a talented actress and bubbly outgoing personality, she did so much for charity too.
She found happiness with Scott.

RIP Barbara.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 09:59:30

I liked that she had that old fashioned glamour thing; incredibly polished, not a hair out of place.

Kate1949 Fri 11-Dec-20 09:53:26

She seemed like good fun. I saw her from afar once at a function. She was lovely and friendly to everyone. RIP Barbara.

EllanVannin Fri 11-Dec-20 09:38:20

Carry on Camping was my favourite I think. Sparrows can't Sing was on the Talking Pictures channel not that long ago. I reckon they'll repeat it soon.
So sad that her life had to end in such a cruel way after the performances she gave in everything she starred in, bless her.

henetha Fri 11-Dec-20 09:36:03

Rest in peace, Barbara, after a life well lived.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 09:33:16

Carry on Camping was filmed during a very cold and wet autumn.
They had to paint the mud green!

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 09:31:45

According to officianados Khyber is the best Carry On by far.
It was also Peter Rogers' (the producer) favourite.
The scenes featuring the Khyber Pass were filmed at the foot of mount Snowdon.

Marydoll Fri 11-Dec-20 09:20:08

Carry on up the Khyber was my favourite. It was the scene with the soldiers lifting their kilts to scare off the natives, which appealed to me.

Sarnia Fri 11-Dec-20 09:10:11

FannyCornforth

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to ask for your favourite Carry On.
I'll tell you my too three later. I do rather love the Carry On films, it's a sort of nostalgia.

It's hard to choose just one but I think many will remember her for Carry On Camping when in the process of doing her early morning exercises her bra pings off. Harmless fun those films. I can watch them again and again to the point when I know what is coming next but it still makes me laugh.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 09:09:03

She was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2014

Charleygirl5 Fri 11-Dec-20 09:03:40

Sorry to hear she has died. I believe she developed Alzheimers a few years ago. I never was a fan of the Carry On films but there are few of the oldies left.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 08:38:32

I'm going to use this as an opportunity to ask for your favourite Carry On.
I'll tell you my too three later. I do rather love the Carry On films, it's a sort of nostalgia.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 06:34:03

Shamelessly bumping own threadtchblush

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 04:02:26

Thank you welbeck
I will have to look up that film.
I read her autobiography years ago.
I remember it being a good read, but not much else I'm afraid!
Mind you, I remembered that Littlewood quote.
And that Kenneth Williams went on honeymoon with her!
Before Scott, she seemed to have had dubious choice in men.
I really enjoyed the TV version of the play 'Cleo, Camping, Emmanuel and Dick'.
Samantha Spiro played Barbara and she was excellent.

welbeck Fri 11-Dec-20 03:51:49

and a very nice person, with no starry self-importance, by all accounts.

welbeck Fri 11-Dec-20 03:50:31

i found it almost too poignant to watch, so evocative was it. she as always, gave a gripping performance, totally inhabited the screen, a natural. and unusually for her early work, not in a comedy role. so was an all round accomplished actor.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 02:42:16

welbeck, yes, I've never seen it, not sure why as I'm a fan of the 60s kitchen sink drama.
It was directed by Joan Littlewood who discovered Barbara. When she auditioned, Littlewood said 'where have you been all my life, little lady'.

welbeck Fri 11-Dec-20 02:29:56

i remember her in a now controversial film, because of it's seeming acceptance of DV, Sparrows Can't Sing.
it was a gritty depiction of the realities of so many Londoners' lives at the time, their neighbourhoods destroyed in so-called improvement schemes.

FannyCornforth Fri 11-Dec-20 02:07:48

Barbara Windsor died yesterday 10th December aged 83.
She was an icon of British entertainment really, wasn't she.
From music hall and Carry On to EastEnders.
Quite a life...
Barbara is survived by her third husband Scott Mitchell.