Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly Come Dancing

(293 Posts)
Puzzler61 Sat 12-Dec-20 19:49:48

Semi Finals already ....... !
2 dances each ..... !

fevertree Sun 20-Dec-20 13:00:18

Bill's reaction when the announcement was made absolutely made my day smile.

Ailsa43 Sun 20-Dec-20 19:28:15

Bill was the true winner... no dance training, 35 years older than the youngsters, with bones and muscles much older ans stiffer too... any young teen can pick up and dance.. and some already had dance training , not so someone starting out in their 50's... he deserved to win ( my second choice would have been HRVY)

Coolgran65 Sun 20-Dec-20 19:37:45

If loved Aanton to be a judge in lace of Bruno. Bruno is beyond irritating.

DanniRae Mon 21-Dec-20 08:11:52

I was always against Anton being a judge when a new one was being chosen but the time he spent being a judge in this series has changed my mind! smile

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Dec-20 08:16:45

If a judge is to be replaced I’d opt for someone new, outside of the show as Anton - good as he was filling in for Motsi - is too close to the professionals and may have favourites IYSWIM.

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Dec-20 08:23:37

Anton gave everyone an 8 while in his short judging role. He was trying too hard to be liked, in my opinion. Motsi is as OTT as Bruno. I'd quite like an ex professional dancer who has not been on Strictly, or not for a very long time, who would have a keen eye - someone like Brendan Cole or lovely Arlene Phillips who should never have been got rid of

Whatever we think about Bruno, he does know his stuff and he does give a good critique, just that he grew to be more and more flamboyant.

eazybee Mon 21-Dec-20 08:40:49

Motsi should never have been appointed a judge on Strictly while her sister was a contestant. A judge for two years and her sister wins twice in succession.
Doesn't sit well.

TwiceAsNice Mon 21-Dec-20 08:55:21

I still think you shouldn’t win just because you are popular . I also think the judges should have some input in the voting in the final, just as they do in other weeks. It is a dance contest not a popularity one . But I’ll try and get over it now my children think it is hilarious I’m so cross about it . I note I’m not the only one on here

Charleygirl5 Mon 21-Dec-20 11:18:54

I am inclined to agree with you TwiceAsNice. This year it did turn out to be a popularity contest, mainly I think because they were all so close.

I still do not have a clue who Jamie and HRVY are!

Ellianne Mon 21-Dec-20 11:31:03

TwiceAsNice

I still think you shouldn’t win just because you are popular . I also think the judges should have some input in the voting in the final, just as they do in other weeks. It is a dance contest not a popularity one . But I’ll try and get over it now my children think it is hilarious I’m so cross about it . I note I’m not the only one on here

grin
My children too!

Casdon Mon 21-Dec-20 11:59:22

It’s interesting that if you read the comments on the BBC Strictly pages most people are saying that it was right for Bill and Oti to win because he showed the greatest improvement over the competition - it seems to me that people are all using different criteria to measure the celebs against, so there’s no way they can please everybody whatever the outcome.

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Dec-20 20:07:54

They may be saying it this year Casdon but it’s not consistently so as last year Kelvin Fletcher won and he was
pretty amazing from the first week.
The only common denominator over the 2 years is that Oti was the Pro. partner for both Kelvin and Bill, and she is a brilliant mentor/teacher/partner.

Casdon Mon 21-Dec-20 20:12:15

But Stacey Dooley won in 2018, and she was another ‘most improved’ rather than ‘best dancer’example, there have been lots of them over the years.

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Dec-20 20:32:19

Yes you’re right. It just depends who votes. (Lots of people watch the show and have their favourites but don’t vote).

Casdon Mon 21-Dec-20 20:42:50

I agree, I think one of the elements is that people vote for the celebs they see loving the challenge but having to work really hard, with Kelvin it was maybe partly that he was popular because he was a last minute substitution so had to learn very quickly in the early weeks?

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Dec-20 21:16:53

He did. He was also muscular and I think a lot of fans admired that. He was great to watch and I remember he often gave Shirley and Bruno ‘the vapours’.

Puzzler61 Mon 21-Dec-20 21:30:01

What’s the saying - different strokes for different folks.