Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I’ve just watched ‘it’s a wonderful life’ for the very 1st time.

(26 Posts)
Kandinsky Thu 24-Dec-20 19:02:10

What a beautiful heartwarming film, can’t believe I’ve never seen it before!!

Happy Christmas everyone wine

rosecarmel Thu 24-Dec-20 19:09:11

It's a wonderful movie ? Glad you enjoyed it- Merry Christmas ..

rockgran Thu 24-Dec-20 19:32:55

Love this film.

hugshelp Thu 24-Dec-20 19:41:58

We watched it for the first time today too. Have a happy Christmas.

BBbevan Thu 24-Dec-20 19:44:40

Seen bits before, but today straight through. Utterly lovely and James Stewart has a lovely smile

varian Thu 24-Dec-20 19:49:04

I watched it again this afternoon, as I was cooking for tomorrow, I have probably seen it three or four times, but it is always worth watching again especially at Christmas,.

It struck me today that the plot must have influence several more recent films, eg Back to The Future.

It is very heartwarming.

If, during this last strange year, you have been reflecting on your life and thinking about the things you got wrong, perhaps this film should nudge you into thinking a bit more about the good things you did and appreciating what a good life you have had.

Kandinsky Thu 24-Dec-20 19:51:19

I’ve always been so busy over Christmas I’ve never really had the time to sit & watch a film all the way through - so today I treated myself, sofa, chocolates & a lovely Christmas film smile
( I cried a bit at the end too )

Kandinsky Thu 24-Dec-20 19:53:14

Hear hear varian

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Dec-20 20:33:27

One of my favourite Christmas films

Thoro Thu 24-Dec-20 20:40:36

I watched it again this year - one of my favourite Christmas films - as well as every production of A Christmas Carol!

Shandy57 Thu 24-Dec-20 20:42:30

Same here! I was shocked he was so grumpy and horrid 'pre Clarence', I've only ever seen small clips.

Blossoming Thu 24-Dec-20 20:42:42

OH loves it, I don’t like it.

Maggymay Thu 24-Dec-20 20:52:33

My favourite Christmas film We watched it yesterday.

Curlywhirly Thu 24-Dec-20 21:35:34

As I have said many times before - my most favourite film in all the world! Watched it today for the umpteenth time and cried yet again. Love James Stewart and Donna Reed was so beautiful; a truly uplifting film and a real Christmas treat. Merry Christmas to all on Gransnet. ???

JessK Thu 24-Dec-20 21:38:59

One of my all time favourites. I've lost count how many times I've watched it.

Calendargirl Fri 25-Dec-20 07:20:03

Sorry to be a misery, don’t really like it.

Lewie Sat 26-Dec-20 13:30:28

Love this film - I've watched it every Christmas for as long as I can remember. (And it still makes me weep!). James Stewart is wonderful! grin

M0nica Sat 26-Dec-20 16:32:20

We watched it last night, corny, cheesy and syrupy, but it works its magic every time.

earnshaw Sat 26-Dec-20 16:55:01

watch this every christmas, never fails to make me cry.

Mogsmaw Sat 26-Dec-20 17:11:47

I do love this film. We have even been to a special showing in a gorgeous Art Deco cinema......but, one thing always grates.
Dona Reid, when George “had never been born” she is a timid spinster librarian in glasses.
In “the real world” she’s a sophisticated mother of several with perfect vision! What has she been doing without George that is so bad for her eyes.
It’s the glasses thing that annoys me, it’s such a lazy cliche and completely nonsensical in this case.

Pudding123 Sat 26-Dec-20 18:43:50

One of my favourite films

mrswoo Sat 26-Dec-20 18:56:36

I watched it for the first time last Christmas Eve at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle. (Is that where you saw it too*
Mogsmaw*?)
The perfect film for Christmas in the perfect setting.

Kandinsky Sat 26-Dec-20 21:01:08

Mogsmaw - I agree.
They portrayed being an unmarried woman in your 30’s as a ‘tragedy’ - who ends up as a timid librarian with glasses of course.

Diggingdoris Sun 27-Dec-20 10:56:20

I've never managed to see it all the way through, and tried to settle down this year to watch. But as usual I was disturbed by a phone call, hubbie asking for help with something, and a neighbour coming to the door. I don't have a record facility on the TV so I'll have to try harder next year!

Froglady Sun 27-Dec-20 10:58:52

I have seen it before but quite a few years ago and had forgotten most of it; it's a lovely 'feel-good' film.