Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bridgerton on Netflix

(58 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 07:24:01

Anyone watching this Regency drama? It was released yesterday and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Fabulous buildings, sets and clothes. Good storyline.

glammagran Sat 02-Jan-21 21:04:42

I was dead set against NOT watching Bridgerton but husband said imagine it’s an alternate universe and that worked for me. It is sparky and a great piece of escapism.

Lucca Fri 01-Jan-21 16:20:03

Talking of gorgeous leading men i zapped channels and caught bit of sound of music, oh my word Christopher Plummer in his uniform.........?❤️?

Lucca Fri 01-Jan-21 15:26:18

There was marvellously wrong dialogue “good luck with that one”. “I’m all danced out”
I thought the sex scenes were gratuitous and I’m no prude.
May I mention something else....has anyone noticed a tendency for female masturbation being featured in so many dramas ?
I can’t believe I watched it all (insomnia) because frankly it was pants. (Well no pants a lot of the time)

TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 14:46:07

Esspee his abs are fabs grin just listen to us all objectifying this poor man, it's really quite shocking blush

Pittcity Fri 01-Jan-21 13:55:02

am I the only one who found the sex scenes overlong and laborious?

I think we saw rather too much, but it was all over rather quickly to be realistic, if you see what I mean!!

Esspee Fri 01-Jan-21 12:49:34

TerriBull What about his abs?

TerriBull Fri 01-Jan-21 11:25:19

We finished watching it yesterday, it was ok, passed the time, although I did think the actor who played The Duke of Hastings was one of the most handsome actors I've seen in a while. Just to clarify I'm thinking more about his face than his bottom, although that looked good too! Look and weep Kim Kardashian smile

Dinahmo Fri 01-Jan-21 11:08:50

For those of you who enjoyed this, the first two novels are on Amazon today for 99p each. I haven't read them yet so can't comment upon the quality.

Esspee Thu 31-Dec-20 11:42:15

Pittcity I’ll vote for his front.

Redhead56 Thu 31-Dec-20 11:39:49

It’s a distraction from all of the repeats not a patch on Downton and farcical.

Nandalot Thu 31-Dec-20 11:35:00

I binge watched last night as going through a bout of insomnia. Loved the costumes and scenery. Spotted the square we stayed in Bath where we stayed for a group family hol. for two significant birthdays.
However, am I the only one who found the sex scenes overlong and laborious? I ended up fast forwarding through those and the boxing scenes, I think the former was just a way to cut down on the expense of the sumptuous costumes and extras!

Mollygo Thu 31-Dec-20 11:13:39

I’ll watch it again just for the costumes. How long before series 2 arrives I wonder.
I’ll never think of stepladders the same way again!?

Pittcity Thu 31-Dec-20 11:12:26

I vote for the Duke of Hastings as rear of the year.
I'm looking forward to series 2. ?

Sparklefizz Thu 31-Dec-20 10:14:44

Bathsheba

Oh I'm so pleased to have come across this thread! The series sounds absolutely horrendous, so I won't bother wasting my time grin

It's not "horrendous". It depends if you are expecting Jane Austen.

Bathsheba Thu 31-Dec-20 10:12:07

Oh I'm so pleased to have come across this thread! The series sounds absolutely horrendous, so I won't bother wasting my time grin

Esspee Thu 31-Dec-20 07:49:43

OH gave up early on in episode one. I continued watching as Simon was so gorgeous and I loved the costumes. I have now reached the honeymoon episode. Oh my goodness! Mary Whitehouse must be spinning in her grave.

Dinahmo Wed 30-Dec-20 23:02:11

Loving it. Just about to watch the last episode.

I've got every Georgette Heyer novel in paperback and have had them for many many years. A couple have been serialised by Radio 4 and they appear occasionally on I Player Sounds.

Pittcity Wed 30-Dec-20 19:23:27

Don't want to put any spoilers on this thread, but that's a very good question. Sparkle.

Sparklefizz Wed 30-Dec-20 19:17:30

Pittcity

How does "Lady Whistledown" afford the printing?

...and presumably have to pay for people to distribute them. And how old was she supposed to be?

Pittcity Wed 30-Dec-20 18:22:31

How does "Lady Whistledown" afford the printing?

AmberSpyglass Mon 28-Dec-20 17:47:03

Even I was swooning over the duke and Lady Danbury is much more my type wink

kittylester Mon 28-Dec-20 17:09:34

Weve just watched the first episode - I loved it (and the Duke!) It was Georgette Heyer on the telly. Doubt DH will bother but I will! Did I mention the Duke!

AmberSpyglass Sun 27-Dec-20 14:28:54

I have such a deep love for pop music played by string quartet for some reason! It fits the sense of the show very well, I thought.

Julia Quinn is a massive admirer of Georgette Heyer - a lot of the historical romance novelists seem to be - and while I’d kill for a good Heyer adaptation this is definitely a good winter’s day binge watch!

I was very curious about how they’d manage a certain plotline, but they went fully for it which is impressive.

Seajaye Sun 27-Dec-20 14:16:14

It's certainly no Downton nor does it come up any where near the quality of any BBC Jane Austen adaption, but I think the novelist is genuine admirer of JA's work and the plot is in a similar but not so witty JA style and set in beautiful Bath. The virtuous and pretty heroine and the handsome male lead make a pact to pretend they are attached to each other to ward off less desirable suitors, but are clearly destined to fall in love with each other. The colour blind casting adds another dimension to the usual period drama genre. If you liked Armando Iannouci's recent David Copperfield adaption you might like this light and frothy production if you have nothing better to do with your time.

Pittcity Sun 27-Dec-20 13:00:28

I've just read about the music.
Modern pop arranged for a string quartet.

Ariana Grande’s “thank u, next”
Maroon 5’s “Girls Like You”
Shawn Mendes’ “In My Blood”
Billie Eilish’s “bad guy”
Celeste’s “Strange (feat. Hillary Smith)”
Taylor Swift’s “Wildest Dreams"

I thought it didn't sound right.