Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bridgerton on Netflix

(57 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 07:24:01

Anyone watching this Regency drama? It was released yesterday and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Fabulous buildings, sets and clothes. Good storyline.

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 07:59:42

I'm a bit put off by the apparent Americanisation and the odd language use I saw in the trailer. I might give it a go.

kircubbin2000 Sat 26-Dec-20 08:08:04

I gave up after 10 minutes.

NanKate Sat 26-Dec-20 08:23:21

I will give it a whirl Sparklefizz as we seem to like the same type of programmes.

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 09:21:37

I love it because most of it was filmed in Bath which is on my doorstep.

What was the "odd language" Jane10 ? There are a couple of more American pronunciations from actors sounding otherwise English (eg. goose-berry pie instead of goosbry pie) but not enough to irritate me. Perhaps I was just feeling mellow smile

shysal Sat 26-Dec-20 09:40:10

I had read that it was similar to Downton Abbey, but I don't agree. It is more like Pride and Prejudice. I shall probably enjoy it once I get into it.

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 09:46:37

Yes, Downton is a different era.

Mollygo Sat 26-Dec-20 09:56:32

I’ve been listening to the series on audiobooks for a while now.
So far, I’m enjoying the Netflix version, even with the most obvious anomaly. Love the costumes.

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:21:23

That 'obvious anomaly' is pretty irritating!

Jane10 Sat 26-Dec-20 10:23:16

sparklefizz the 'did nots' instead of 'didn't' etc ie speaking in old fashioned written English. Smacks of writers faking it.

Esuriosa Sat 26-Dec-20 11:34:51

Beautiful people in beautiful surroundings, but Jane Austen without the wit.
I found the music extremely irritating. Chopin, Shostakovich? Wasn't the year meant to be 1813?

FannyCornforth Sat 26-Dec-20 11:52:06

JaneandMolly what's the 'obvious anomaly' to which you refer?

I'm trying to find a series to watch, well, for DH to watch really. He really likes (some) period dramas.

TerriBull Sat 26-Dec-20 12:18:42

We watched a couple of episodes, as expected, a Jane Austen pastiche! Netflix big budget so lovely locations, I imagine a lot of it was filmed in Bath but did spy Hampton Court, a mere trot up the road from us, well for a horse at any rate!

I believe the lead actress is the daughter of Coronation Street's Sally, not that I've watched that in yonks. The leading actor who I've never seen before is devilishly handsome and does justice to his britches or maybe it should be breeches, cos britches sounds too much like bitches shock although I was drifting off in some of it, he was typical of a male Regency love interest, somewhat aloof, in this case that was cos his dad wasn't nice to him sad Anyway we all know what'll happen, eventually he'll overcome his inner demons and fall madly in love with Daphne. The end!

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 14:43:27

Aaaarrrgh! It's gone "all Hollywood" now and is spoilt confused

Whitewavemark2 Sat 26-Dec-20 14:48:48

Jane Austin it ain’t. The dialogue is awful, but the material and clothes are a wonder to behold. Not sure it is worth sticking with though just for the clothes.

Yes I thought it was Bath pretending to be Grovesner Square etc.

rosecarmel Sat 26-Dec-20 15:19:48

I'd watch a single episode for the costumes .. 😊

Sparklefizz Sat 26-Dec-20 15:20:59

Yes, most of the outside shots are of Bath (they managed to cleverly disguise Primark which is in a very distinguished building close to the Pump Room). I shall carry on watching it for Bath and the clothes.

Sueki44 Sat 26-Dec-20 15:48:46

The point is that the series is based on a set of novels written by Julia Quinn. She is American and writes romantic historical novels....hence the anomalies.

Oldbat1 Sat 26-Dec-20 16:12:35

Very twee and too fluffy for my liking. Lacked depth - Barbara Cartland springs to mind. One thing going for it is that Bath as ever is very beautiful. I had a council flat in The Circus in the 70s. If I’m desperate I’ll watch episode 2.

Nicegranny Sat 26-Dec-20 16:42:04

I got so sick of the old repeats and trash on tv that l decided to rewatch Breaking Bad again. I love a gritty series.

Lisagran Sat 26-Dec-20 18:38:29

Surely one of the anomalies is that it’s race-fluid

travelsafar Sat 26-Dec-20 18:52:18

Watching at the moment and loving it. Romance, beautiful young ladies,stunning costumes and smouldering rakish young men!!! What's not to like, everything doesn't have to be perfect to enjoy. Pure escapism just what we need now, well do after my dreadful xmas day.

Pittcity Sat 26-Dec-20 21:33:15

Watched 3 episodes and think it's great escapism. Even DH is watching with me.

AmberSpyglass Sat 26-Dec-20 21:39:42

Given that Queen Charlotte was at least mixed race it really isn’t that anachronistic. The point one of the episodes makes is that it’s an alternate history where people of colour were accepted into high society partly because of that. Of course, Regency London was pretty racially diverse, just for the most part not at the level portrayed in the show.

I love the novels and this was a delightful adaptation!

AmberSpyglass Sat 26-Dec-20 21:55:55

Oh, and anyone remember Miss Lambe, the wealthy black heiress in Jane Austen’s Sanditon?

Regency London had between 10,000- 30,000 Black people from the working class to the middle classes and one or two in the aristocracy. Which makes Bridgerton probably a bit more historically accurate than most period dramas!