Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Serpent.

(79 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 02-Jan-21 07:15:14

Watched the first episode last night on BBC1, had read about it in the Telegraph magazine.

Much better than I thought it would be, but think eight episodes might prove a bit drawn out. Will have to see.

TerriBull Fri 23-Dec-22 16:42:51

I watched it when it was on, nearly a year ago . I found it both mesmerising and disturbing. The performances were really good, especially the French/Algerian actor who played the lead, I've seen him before in The Looming Tower on Amazon and a film regarding Guantanamo Bay, can't remember his name but he's a versatile actor different in both of those.

tickingbird Fri 23-Dec-22 16:32:06

I watched this last year and loved it although it was disturbing and shocking that it was true story. Can’t believe he’s been released.

Ilovecheese Fri 23-Dec-22 16:29:11

MayBee70

I didn’t think that the BBC could top The Serpent but since then we’ve had The Tourist, Life After Life, SAS Rogue Heroes and The English!

And Sherwood!

Farzanah Fri 23-Dec-22 15:57:22

I saw this on BBC a while ago. I heard on the news today that “the serpent” had just been released from a jail in Nepal. In his late 70s I think.

MayBee70 Fri 23-Dec-22 15:53:20

I didn’t think that the BBC could top The Serpent but since then we’ve had The Tourist, Life After Life, SAS Rogue Heroes and The English!

MerylStreep Fri 23-Dec-22 15:31:48

I watched it all over 1 weekend when it first came out last January. Brilliant!!!!

Calendargirl Fri 23-Dec-22 15:16:03

Just resurrecting this old thread, I have just read that the real life ‘Serpent’ has been released from prison in Nepal after serving 19 years for two murders in the 70’s.

He is 78.

Sorry, can’t remember his real name.

Ghastly man.

SueDonim Thu 08-Apr-21 13:22:09

I’ve just watched this over three evenings. I have no memory of it occurring at the time. I wasn’t sure as to whether I’d keep watching but after episode two, I was hooked. I thought the lead character was excellent, a veneer of being sophisticated and generous but underneath so evil. Jenna Coleman was also excellent, as were many of the other characters.

I found the time hops a bit much, so many in each episode, and that confused me a bit but thank goodness he was caught eventually.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Feb-21 21:14:02

Yes, he was excellent. I’ve just googled him and he’s been in lots of films and series hasn’t he.

tattynan Mon 15-Feb-21 19:28:09

I have enjoyed Tim Macinnery’s performance in the Serpent.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Feb-21 01:23:19

Me too. It was incredibly well done. I don’t remember the case at all but other people seem to have. It was quite emotionally draining to go from one series to the other!

glammagran Mon 15-Feb-21 00:50:48

We’ve watched the Investigation too. So well done. So pleased they didn’t feature the killer. I did have tears though when at the end of the last episode they pictured the actual victim.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Feb-21 00:36:41

Have you watched The Investigation? I found it as gripping as The Serpent albeit in a much slower way.

keepingquiet Sun 14-Feb-21 22:55:27

I watched every episode and thought it was the best thing I've watched for ages. The production, acting, locations and sense of malice were first rate. It seemed so authentic from someone who was young and fancy free in those days.
The story didn't get much coverage here as I don't think any Brits were involved so I had never heard of the guy either.
He's still in prison thank God.
What am I going to watch now on Sunday nights?

Nana3 Sun 14-Feb-21 22:52:50

I couldn't watch it, even more horrible that it was from a true story. I'm thinking the families of the victims must not have been considered.

grandmajet Sun 14-Feb-21 22:46:37

I’ve just watched the final episode. I’m so glad I stuck with it. What a story, and quite terrifying at times.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Feb-21 23:45:15

Chestnut

There's an article here if you scroll down and also links to other articles:
Radio Times The Serpent

Thanks for that. It’s fascinating reading about the real people and also how the characters dealt with playing such awful people.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Feb-21 23:42:46

It must have been good because I’m still thinking about it.

ayse Thu 11-Feb-21 16:24:33

MayBee70

I’m on episode 5 but keep having to turn it off and go back to it. Just as I think someone’s safe they’re suddenly in danger again and it freaks me out. I don’t think I’ve ever been so scared watching a tv series except possibly The Living and the Dead that I gave up on at one point but then went back to.

I had to do the same and watch it when I was in the mood. It took me a while.

Rosalyn69 Thu 11-Feb-21 16:16:51

I watched two episodes and thought it was dreadful. Terrible wooden actors and absolutely dull.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Feb-21 15:59:09

I stopped watching after episode one and several times had to switch off halfway through an episode. I stuck with it because so many people recommended it and I’m glad I did. I was worried sick for Dominique! And then Nadine. And then I wanted Herman and Angela to live happily ever after!

seacliff Thu 11-Feb-21 14:38:04

I initially stopped watching after I think episode 3, as the young dark haired lad reminded me so much of my son, and I just wanted him to get away, knowing it was true was so upsetting.

Both my sons travelled in that area and I feel it could happen to anyone. This film should be shown to potential travellers just to alert them, often they are so naive even these days.

I did start watching again, it was well done. Herman Knippenberg was so persistent, and it's due to his efforts that Charles was finally caught.

Chestnut Thu 11-Feb-21 14:20:05

There's an article here if you scroll down and also links to other articles:
Radio Times The Serpent

MayBee70 Wed 10-Feb-21 12:44:07

I’m going to Wikipedia it. .

Calendargirl Wed 10-Feb-21 07:43:10

There was a feature in the Telegraph magazine about the forthcoming series just before it aired.

I skipped through it, got the gist, and that encouraged me to watch The Serpent, but I wish now I had read it more thoroughly. It would have been much more interesting after getting involved with the story.