Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Serpent.

(78 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 02-Jan-21 07:15:14

Watched the first episode last night on BBC1, had read about it in the Telegraph magazine.

Much better than I thought it would be, but think eight episodes might prove a bit drawn out. Will have to see.

fevertree Sat 02-Jan-21 07:31:35

Hi Calendargirl we also watched it and will stay with it. It chills me to the bone when innocents are spun in a web with really evil people, I think it can happen so easily. You want to shout at them Get away from those people, they are evil! As we know from cases in recent years, it still happens.

When I think of my 20 year old self, I was very unsophisticated and not at all streetwise and could probably have been easily fooled. Probably a good job then that I never got it together to go travelling!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 02-Jan-21 07:38:22

I thought it looked interesting but then so many new dramas do. I had read a bit of background information as had never heard about case. I was quickly drawn in. I have read some reviews that have said it does get very edge of your seat so fingers crossed.
It did become increasingly chilling as you started to know the victims and knew their fate.
I expect the fact they were a couple put people at their ease more. Early days yet but I find Jenna Colemans character particularly chilling.

Sparklefizz Sat 02-Jan-21 07:51:16

I don't think I'll be watching it as these days I want to watch programmes that are relaxing and don't worry me.

I'll stick with Dickensian on iPlayer instead.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jan-21 08:12:31

I wasn’t as drawn in as some of you but I totally admit that I nodded off at one point so better watch it again I think

I don’t remember the case at all

eazybee Sat 02-Jan-21 08:16:19

Unpleasant and salacious.

kircubbin2000 Sat 02-Jan-21 08:29:12

Didn't like the idea, lasted 10 minutes.
Talking about being innocent travelling, when I was 19 we went hitchhiking on the continent for 6 weeks. We never got into any real trouble although I did let a strange man massage my tummy with leaves when I fell ill!

Jaxjacky Sat 02-Jan-21 09:20:04

Gave it full attention for 15 minutes, then lost interest, DH watched it all paying more attention than I did.

Smileless2012 Sat 02-Jan-21 09:35:33

After watching the first episode we watched the second on the BBC I player. Hope the remaining six will be as good.

TerriBull Sat 02-Jan-21 09:46:10

I don't remember the case at all, what an awful man and so to was his complicit accomplice played by Jenna Coleman. I will continue to watch, it was quite horrendous in many ways, my husband thought it was awful, so I'll watch it by myself on I Player.

The actor who played the murderer was previously in The Looming Tower, he was quite wonderful in that, he looks very different in this, archetypal '70s man and not a nice one shock

Kate1949 Sat 02-Jan-21 10:03:54

My husband won't watch anything that shows young people being harmed so we switched over. I may watch it.
I Googled the case. Oh my goodness the things he/they did.

Jane10 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:07:02

I'd thought this was to be a dramatisation of The Essex Serpent' so was bitterly disappointed! Didn't watch.

Genty Sat 02-Jan-21 11:20:00

I didnt watch it last night, just started watching it on catchup, 30 mins in I was really confused so went to turn the program off and realised I was watching the last episode 8 the final episode!!! ( senior moment) hmm
All the episodes are on bbc1 catchup.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 02-Jan-21 11:31:45

I thought it was interesting and will stick with it. It was a bit confusing with all the flashbacks but I decided to simply watch it as rather chilling entertainment rather than try to understand the sequence.
It's chilling when you think of how many youngsters go off on exotic adventures but can so easily find themselves in danger. We were all naive when we were young and thankfully this type of thing is rare.

Jane43 Sat 02-Jan-21 12:05:45

I watched two episodes of this yesterday and although a very unpleasant story I think it is very well produced and acted. I usually dislike lots of flashbacks but found the story easy to follow. I am wondering if, as in The Assassination Of Gianni Versace, we will find out if events in their early life contributed to the adults they became. I will carry on with it.

Boz Sat 02-Jan-21 12:56:24

I think it is awful to glorify evil serial killers by giving their deeds dramatic oxygen. Where is the entertainment value in seeing young innocent people killed? Serial killers (and this one is still alive) just love all this. They should not even be named, let alone glamorised.
No wonder "all Creatures G & S" got massive viewing figures. Life is hard enough atm without nasty stuff on tv.

Calendargirl Sat 02-Jan-21 13:07:41

I don’t agree Boz.

If a young person thinking about going on a gap year watches a programme such as this, it might give them food for thought and make them more aware how certain people just aren’t all they appear to be.

Sadly life is not as cosy and innocent as All Creatures and other such programmes make out.

Namsnanny Sat 02-Jan-21 13:22:56

eazybee

Unpleasant and salacious.

It is unpleasant I agree, but salacious?
Kate49 my husband wont watch anything that harms young people
Much like myself, but I felt I would watch it as I was in a serious and dangerous situation whilst on holiday in the 70s, but had the presence of mind to escape.
Sends shivers down my spine to think of it all now. How lucky I was.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jan-21 13:31:06

It’s not entertainment boz it’s education I knew nothing about this case and dramatising it brings to life the dangers and the sadness of some peoples lives I m not watching to glorify the murderer or rub my hands at the killings it’s to tell me something about a serial killer I had never heard of
These people are in the midst of us
Your post reminds me of a workmate who use to say I never watch the news as I don’t want to be made to feel sad about what’s going on in the world how selfish and flimsy is that

merlotgran Sat 02-Jan-21 13:39:49

I agree, Calendargirl

There are plenty of feelgood programmes on TV for anyone who is upset by a drama about a real life crime.

NanKate Sat 02-Jan-21 19:58:57

5 minutes in decided not for me.

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jan-21 20:00:27

Rewatched it this afternoon without napping and yes got into it

overthehill Sat 02-Jan-21 20:10:16

Yes we'll continue watching. I did spot the evil couple at the airport with wheeled suitcases, I maybe wrong but don't believe they were around in the 70s

BlueBelle Sat 02-Jan-21 20:30:46

Good point overthehill no I was definitely lugging suitcases in the 70 s

Jane43 Sat 02-Jan-21 22:14:36

Well I’ve watched all of this now and thought it was very good, the best thing I’ve watched for a while. It was interesting to read the updates of the various characters at the end. The serial killer was not glorified at all Boz, quite the opposite.