Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Aled Jones

(35 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 04-Jan-21 07:19:32

Did anyone else watch this programme on BBC4 last night, commemorating his 50th birthday?

Didn’t realise quite how much has been packed into his life.

No mention of his wife and family though, would have been nice to see them. His daughter is an actress I believe.

fourormore Tue 05-Jan-21 11:49:53

I'm really surprised no one has responded to this thread - I saw it yesterday but had too many bits and pieces to sort out and didn't post!
We watched Aled on Songs of Praise at lunchtime on Sunday and the BBC4 programme was mentioned at the end or we would have missed it.
He is really a lovely chap isn't he - we loved him when he was little and he didn't let fame go to his head did he? His parents kept him grounded.
I feel that he shields his family life and I don't blame him to be honest.
He seemed so humble and so unlike other 'celebrities' who go off the rails.
Can't believe he is 50!!!
Try and get his new CD - it's called Blessings and features, among others, Dame Judy Dench and Brian Blessed!!!
It's lovely!

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 05-Jan-21 12:06:37

I would have watched if I'd realised it was on, might get round to watching it on catch up!

Anniebach Tue 05-Jan-21 12:10:04

I watched it, he is a lovely man, friendly and fun to chat with,

Vickysponge Tue 05-Jan-21 12:10:45

I’m sure he’s nice enough chap but he’s got the most boring singing voice on the planet. I liked him singing Walking in the Air when he was little though.

Luckygirl Tue 05-Jan-21 12:14:30

I agree that he was a much better boy soprano and TBH I do not think he would be singing now if it were not for his fame as a child. I do not like his adult singing voice - ducks below parapet! grin

Calendargirl Tue 05-Jan-21 12:34:59

Luckygirl

I agree that he was a much better boy soprano and TBH I do not think he would be singing now if it were not for his fame as a child. I do not like his adult singing voice - ducks below parapet! grin

Maybe not, but shows how savvy he has been, getting into presenting various shows plus his Classic FM spot on Sundays.

And of course he was on Strictly years ago, think a runner up, and that opened doors as well.

Floradora9 Tue 05-Jan-21 15:04:08

BBC dropped him after allegations of a sexual nature . It never came to anything . He annoys me with his accent on Classic FM he could at least try to pronounce the composter's names in their native German / French etc. Sorry if you come from Wales but I would say the same of any other strong accent a presenter has .

henetha Tue 05-Jan-21 15:08:40

I still think of him as little Aled. I like him very much.
I was quite pleased when there were those allegations of a sexual nature , which never came to anything much anyway, as he seemed almost too perfect before that.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jan-21 15:17:21

apologising for criticising an accent !

The welsh have to put up with many English presenters who
can’t even say the name of a place in Wales unless it’s Cardiff or Newport.

merlotgran Tue 05-Jan-21 15:51:35

Same here, Luckygirl. Aled is a pleasant enough presenter but there always has to be a rendition of something vaguely appropriate before the credits roll.

At least he didn't sing on Escape to the Country. grin

Lucca Tue 05-Jan-21 15:54:48

Anniebach

Hear hear. We’ve had posters complaining About nicola sturgeons accent and now aled jones .......dear me.

EllanVannin Tue 05-Jan-21 16:00:40

Yes, he is indeed a gentleman of which I've always realised. A rarity in this world of greed and " celebrity " status of non-people. A lovely man.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jan-21 16:10:29

He was not dropped by the BBC, he is a presenter on
Songs of Praise . BBC1

And how anyone be pleased that allegations of a sexual nature
are made when they were not true .

merlotgran Tue 05-Jan-21 16:20:27

Aled was dropped for a little while, Annie. I remember he was accused of making some puerile comments of a sexual nature to another presenter at a time when other heads were also rolling. He apologised and returned to presenting after a short period in the wilderness.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jan-21 16:26:54

Yes dropped for a little while, not dropped .

Callistemon Tue 05-Jan-21 16:38:28

Anniebach

?

And - for the record and I've said it before - there is not just one Welsh accent.
If he had a Northumbrian accent would anyone just refer to it as an English accent?

Gin Tue 05-Jan-21 16:50:21

I like his adult voice, a pleasant light tenor. Some of his pieces are excellent, those lighter and controlled. Horses for courses.

Mamardoit Tue 05-Jan-21 17:13:26

Floradora9

BBC dropped him after allegations of a sexual nature . It never came to anything . He annoys me with his accent on Classic FM he could at least try to pronounce the composter's names in their native German / French etc. Sorry if you come from Wales but I would say the same of any other strong accent a presenter has .

Just about the most stupid comment I've ever read on GN. And plenty spout complete bull shite on here! You can't roll time back to the 1950s.

AJ voice is perfectly clear. We need more regional accents on TV and radio that way everyone will get used to hearing them and hopefully be less stuck up and judgmental.

Anniebach Tue 05-Jan-21 18:27:00

Marmardoit applause .

Callistemon my Welsh accent is unique, a mixture of Merthyr , Anglesey and Mid Wales ?, no Carms or Cards.

Witzend Tue 05-Jan-21 18:29:10

As usual I hadn’t checked what was on, but caught the last 10 minutes or so.
Dh startled me by saying he’d never heard of him!

Lucca Tue 05-Jan-21 18:50:46

Mamardoit. Agreed. Any presenter with “a strong accent “ ? Unbelievable.

Chardy Tue 05-Jan-21 19:05:41

It was a lovely programme. His first language is Welsh, and it appeared that Welsh was spoken in the house and local shops when he was a kid.

Mollygo Tue 05-Jan-21 19:16:38

Marmadoit and Lucca did you miss the pronunciation of the ‘composters’ names in whichever accent?

Mamardoit Wed 06-Jan-21 11:52:38

When ever I hear French, Germans, or anyone else they speak English with an accent. No one bats an eyelid or judges them. it's just the way they speak.

I know that because I come from the gem of the shires That Belvoir Castle is Beaver Castle and Kibworth Beauchamp is Kibworth Beechum. Lots from darn sarth (even folks on Auntie Beeb) use their GCSE French on those. I try not to judge as question anyone's intelligence.

RP is not the correct way. There are many correct ways and as long as they can be understood all accents are fine.