Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Pottery Throwdown

(35 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Mon 11-Jan-21 00:33:15

This started tonight and it was a lovely gentle hour of creativity. I’m looking forward to seeing more coffee it and getting to know the contestants. Keith Brymer Jones is ready to be emotional again.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 15-Jan-21 18:55:35

trisher

Keith's cried his way through the other series so I think he will continue to do it. And why shouldn't he? A lovely creative emotional man.
Love this programme and it was great to see Siobhan McSweeny as the presenter. She's wonderful as Sister Michael in Derry Girls.

I'm with you trisher about Keith.
Derry Girls were brilliant on the Christmas Bake off episode. Siobhan is excellent.

I watch this programme with my daughter. We do a big catch up about it the next day (Facetime) as she's 300 miles away.

sodapop Mon 11-Jan-21 20:08:44

Same here LauraNorder but like Felice I wonder what will happen in future.

LauraNorder Mon 11-Jan-21 19:18:57

Freeview not freebie, predictive text.

LauraNorder Mon 11-Jan-21 19:17:48

Hi Felice
When we lived in France we used a sky box with a viewing card originally purchased in the U.K. we had a satellite dish and a very clever tv engineer who set it up for us. We got all the freebies channels.
Not sure if it was strictly legal but all our U.K. and several French friends had the same.
Might be worth quietly asking around your U.K. friends to see what they do.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 16:48:55

Can you get it on an iPad or am I barking up the wrong tree felice

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 15:54:56

That's why I asked Luckygirl as I saw last years competition repeated over the Christmas period.
Bit of a sneaky move !!!

Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 15:38:06

I thought this was on BBC last time - I must be dreaming.

I thought the lady who came out on top was astonishing - very talented.

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 15:32:11

No worries Bluebelle, at the moment we are all wondering if the BBC will pull the plug on the EU for TV, our cable channels pay highly for it here but about four years ago stopped buying 3 and 4.
The BBC had tripled the cost for each channel, I would miss it for things like Mock the Week etc and also quiz shows, I always look forward to Monday nights.
The Flemish and Dutch channels show a lot of English speaking dramas Midsomer etc so not short of those but DGS would be distraught without Strictlyhmm.
One Flemish channel shows only USA stuff and my guilty pleasures are NCIS and all that stuff.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 15:18:47

Oh * felice* you don’t know me I take lots of interest in the contents of peoples posts but rarely remember who posted what but anyway there’s lots of new posters so we don’t all know or in my case ‘take note’ of who is where ?but now I understand
** Note to self pay more attention in future

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 15:01:20

I do not live in the UK, sorry I thought everyone on here knew that .
I have cable here the most common TV provider and it depends where you live what one you have.
I have BBC 1, 2 and World, and of course many other non UK channels.

Greyduster Mon 11-Jan-21 14:40:38

I watched last night and enjoyed it. I agree that last night’s potter of the week is going to be the one to watch. Nice to see Rich come out from his kiln to be one of the judges. They seem to have a different type of kiln now. We gave our son in law a pottery course for his fiftieth birthday. He absolutely loved it and produced some really interesting stuff. When all this is Covid nonsense is over, I’ll book myself onto one if I’m still standing!

grandMattie Mon 11-Jan-21 14:04:56

Franbern, sky arts on free view is starting Landscape artist of the year this week.

grandMattie Mon 11-Jan-21 14:03:35

What a charming, unthreatening, heartwarming programme. It is just what we need in these troubled times, not more murders, violence and swearing...

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 14:01:18

I thought even old TVs could get four channels felice how come you can only get two
Absolutely nothing wrong with a man crying trisher but when it happens time after time it loses its authenticity and feels like ‘ the audience liked it when I showed my emotions so I ll do it again and again and again’ it no longer feels a natural emotion but an add on instead of genuine

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:39:53

Ah not for me then, another one bites the dust, goes the way of Bake Off.

SpringyChicken Mon 11-Jan-21 13:34:34

It was on Channel 4, Felice. 7.45pm

merlotgran Mon 11-Jan-21 13:33:03

Hands up those of you who envied anyone who could throw a pot back in the laid back hippy days?

It seemed such a cool thing to do. My brother's best friend inherited the family pottery. I still have a couple of his early efforts. grin

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:29:20

BBC1?, we only get 1 and 2. Strange I did not notice it, I will check to see if it is repeated late at night during the week, no I Player here.

threexnanny Mon 11-Jan-21 13:27:55

It was on yesterday at 7.45pm. I think the right person won but I would have loved to buy the bee set.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:26:28

felice it was on last night

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:22:27

When was this on, I seem to have missed it, the last series was on recently but I did not see a new one advertised?

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 11:34:42

Keith's cried his way through the other series so I think he will continue to do it. And why shouldn't he? A lovely creative emotional man.
Love this programme and it was great to see Siobhan McSweeny as the presenter. She's wonderful as Sister Michael in Derry Girls.

Franbern Mon 11-Jan-21 11:27:43

So pleased this programme has returned. One of my g.children from my bubble family comes round for an hour or so on Monday afternoons to keep me company. They are autistic and not very communicative. I somethings find I have to work very hard for that hour or two. However, they love anything to with art. Have recorded this and we will be able watch it each Monday afternoon for the next few weeks.

Gingster Mon 11-Jan-21 08:26:18

Another one who loves it here. Oh I didn’t realise the presenter was ‘ Sister Michael’ . A very funny lady! Yes Keith needs to stop getting tearful. It was sweet to start with but a bit cringy now. My favourite was the beehive.! Fantastic.

sodapop Mon 11-Jan-21 08:17:23

Some talented people on the show especially the lady who won, I loved her set of pots.
I agree with BlueBelle about Keith, he will be an emotional wreck by the end of the series if he doesn't calm down.