Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Pottery Throwdown

(34 Posts)
GrandmasueUK Mon 11-Jan-21 00:33:15

This started tonight and it was a lovely gentle hour of creativity. I’m looking forward to seeing more coffee it and getting to know the contestants. Keith Brymer Jones is ready to be emotional again.

LauraNorder Mon 11-Jan-21 01:57:02

I enjoyed it too. It was a tough first task and I felt sorry for the first to leave. He made a wonderful set but was very unlucky with his glaze. Tonights winning lady is one to watch, very talented.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 03:58:05

I love it and enjoy it very much I think the older lady who who the weeks best was brilliant, incredibly talented I agree about the chap that had to go it was a shame
I like Keith a very gentle, very clever man but he has to stop this silly crying it’s was a nice thing to see his emotion rise to the surface at first but it’s gone into overplay now an.d has become daft he needs to stop it it’s gone from seeing genuine feelings to a trademark and feel false now

CanadianGran Mon 11-Jan-21 04:07:37

I love this show! We get the previous season on TV, so will look forward to another season. I'm still waiting for the new season of GB Baking show, which you would have already seen.

It seems your television is more creative than ours or American, which we get. After something is popular there then they broadcast it here and do a Canadian version, which somehow is not quite as good.

I love Portait Artist of the Year and look forward to another season.

vampirequeen Mon 11-Jan-21 07:07:37

Really enjoyed this show last night

Casdon Mon 11-Jan-21 07:20:12

I thought it was very good, they are so talented, not just the lady who came first, but the young lady who made the Route 66 set, and the guy who did the beehive set were amazing too. It’s shaping up to be a very entertaining series I think.

ginny Mon 11-Jan-21 07:45:15

A lovely hour of gentle entertainment. So much talent .

Grannynannywanny Mon 11-Jan-21 08:09:17

I came across this last night and really enjoyed it. It took a while for it to register that the presenter was Siobhan McSweeney who plays the very funny Sister Michael in the Derry Girls.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 11-Jan-21 08:13:53

Loved it, didn’t know who the presenter was though so thanksgrannynanny
I agree about the crying though, he needs to calm down a bit, most of them were crying with him in the end.
So pleased that it’s back.

sodapop Mon 11-Jan-21 08:17:23

Some talented people on the show especially the lady who won, I loved her set of pots.
I agree with BlueBelle about Keith, he will be an emotional wreck by the end of the series if he doesn't calm down.

Gingster Mon 11-Jan-21 08:26:18

Another one who loves it here. Oh I didn’t realise the presenter was ‘ Sister Michael’ . A very funny lady! Yes Keith needs to stop getting tearful. It was sweet to start with but a bit cringy now. My favourite was the beehive.! Fantastic.

Franbern Mon 11-Jan-21 11:27:43

So pleased this programme has returned. One of my g.children from my bubble family comes round for an hour or so on Monday afternoons to keep me company. They are autistic and not very communicative. I somethings find I have to work very hard for that hour or two. However, they love anything to with art. Have recorded this and we will be able watch it each Monday afternoon for the next few weeks.

trisher Mon 11-Jan-21 11:34:42

Keith's cried his way through the other series so I think he will continue to do it. And why shouldn't he? A lovely creative emotional man.
Love this programme and it was great to see Siobhan McSweeny as the presenter. She's wonderful as Sister Michael in Derry Girls.

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:22:27

When was this on, I seem to have missed it, the last series was on recently but I did not see a new one advertised?

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:26:28

felice it was on last night

threexnanny Mon 11-Jan-21 13:27:55

It was on yesterday at 7.45pm. I think the right person won but I would have loved to buy the bee set.

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:29:20

BBC1?, we only get 1 and 2. Strange I did not notice it, I will check to see if it is repeated late at night during the week, no I Player here.

merlotgran Mon 11-Jan-21 13:33:03

Hands up those of you who envied anyone who could throw a pot back in the laid back hippy days?

It seemed such a cool thing to do. My brother's best friend inherited the family pottery. I still have a couple of his early efforts. grin

SpringyChicken Mon 11-Jan-21 13:34:34

It was on Channel 4, Felice. 7.45pm

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 13:39:53

Ah not for me then, another one bites the dust, goes the way of Bake Off.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Jan-21 14:01:18

I thought even old TVs could get four channels felice how come you can only get two
Absolutely nothing wrong with a man crying trisher but when it happens time after time it loses its authenticity and feels like ‘ the audience liked it when I showed my emotions so I ll do it again and again and again’ it no longer feels a natural emotion but an add on instead of genuine

grandMattie Mon 11-Jan-21 14:03:35

What a charming, unthreatening, heartwarming programme. It is just what we need in these troubled times, not more murders, violence and swearing...

grandMattie Mon 11-Jan-21 14:04:56

Franbern, sky arts on free view is starting Landscape artist of the year this week.

Greyduster Mon 11-Jan-21 14:40:38

I watched last night and enjoyed it. I agree that last night’s potter of the week is going to be the one to watch. Nice to see Rich come out from his kiln to be one of the judges. They seem to have a different type of kiln now. We gave our son in law a pottery course for his fiftieth birthday. He absolutely loved it and produced some really interesting stuff. When all this is Covid nonsense is over, I’ll book myself onto one if I’m still standing!

felice Mon 11-Jan-21 15:01:20

I do not live in the UK, sorry I thought everyone on here knew that .
I have cable here the most common TV provider and it depends where you live what one you have.
I have BBC 1, 2 and World, and of course many other non UK channels.