Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Pembrokeshire Murders.

(112 Posts)
Calendargirl Tue 12-Jan-21 07:36:36

Started watching this 3 parter last night. Couldn’t recall the case until I saw the pictures of the murdered couple, and remember thinking at the time how shocking to be killed as you walked innocently on a coastal path.

Found it to be a bit plodding. Probably because there was no ‘who dun it’, as we know who did it.

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 22:05:15

Oh, I'm exhausted, this last episode was very emotional.
Even though we knew the ending it was such a relief when he was found guilty on all counts.

We recorded it so we could skip through the adverts, I agree, they are annoying.

Jaxjacky Wed 13-Jan-21 22:28:03

We thoroughly enjoyed it, phew, although I knew the ending, thought it was very well done.

Gwyneth Wed 13-Jan-21 22:33:18

Really enjoyed it and great that it was over three consecutive nights.

Jane10 Wed 13-Jan-21 22:33:38

Very good. Great police work but incredibly expensive by the sound of it. All those man hours and I was amazed at the forensic costs. However, a very bad man was put away. Good.

Luckygirl Wed 13-Jan-21 22:41:13

I remember it so well - we walked that coast path every year and found it quite creepy after it happened. I remember that at the time there was a theory that it was done by IRA gun runners who were discovered landing a consignment of weapons by the unfortunate couple.

janeainsworth Wed 13-Jan-21 22:54:41

I thought it was fascinating and brilliantly done, not overdramatised. The police come in for so much criticism it’s good to see the other side - the integrity and dedication involved too.
The scenes involving the rape & assault victims were moving & the two women showed such courage giving their evidence.
And then the real-life forensic scientist whose meticulous work was crucial was on the ITN News at 10!

Bathsheba Wed 13-Jan-21 23:07:39

Yes I recall that about the IRA gunrunner theory as well Luckygirl.

We thoroughly enjoyed this series, found it quite compelling viewing, and so very emotional, especially the scene where the son talked of his spinal injury and how he was left at home, aged 12, when they went on holiday to Spain. I was in tears sad

And yes, even knowing the outcome, it was still such a relief to hear the verdicts read out.

Callistemon Wed 13-Jan-21 23:27:34

Jane10

Very good. Great police work but incredibly expensive by the sound of it. All those man hours and I was amazed at the forensic costs. However, a very bad man was put away. Good.

Yes, amazing.
But that is privatisation for you.

And yes, even knowing the outcome, it was still such a relief to hear the verdicts read out.

Yes, even knowing the ending didn't make it any less compelling.

Chestnut Wed 13-Jan-21 23:37:00

I was very moved by the plight of the son. He had endured so much and yet had an inner strength which kept him going. How sad that children are born to such evil people and have to suffer the consequences all their lives.

Poppyred Thu 14-Jan-21 00:32:12

Welsh accents were spot on for a change! It would have made better drama if the murders had been re-enacted as well, in my opinion.

Grandma2213 Thu 14-Jan-21 00:59:40

I thought the slow pace showing the painstaking search for forensic evidence added to the tension even though we knew the outcome. The two girls in court brought me to tears. They were so brave.

janeainsworth Thu 14-Jan-21 07:00:06

Poppyred It would have made better drama if the murders had been re-enacted as well, in my opinion

I probably wouldn’t have watched it at all. I can’t bear seeing violence even when it’s fictional, let alone based on a true story.
It was hard enough watching the two girls give their evidence.

Bellasnana Thu 14-Jan-21 07:25:21

I wanted to like it but found it tedious and actually slept through most of part two.

Washerwoman Thu 14-Jan-21 07:30:36

We enjoyed it after initially thinking it was a bit slow.And actually it made a change that it focused on the painstaking police procedure rather than dramatic flashbacks.Very well acted too by all the cast.

Jane10 Thu 14-Jan-21 07:40:34

Callistemon those forensic costs would be the same whoever employed the scientists to carry out the painstaking work plus their equipment. It just wouldn't be as itemised I suppose.
I definitely would not have watched if the offences were re enacted.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 08:18:41

I found it gripping. Wasn’t it chilling that when the police arrested him the boot of his car had all his requirements for another crime - rope, balaclava etc? I thought Keith Allen played a blinder. Forgot he was Lily Allen’s dad!

grannysyb Thu 14-Jan-21 08:43:29

We really enjoyed it and thought Keith Allen was amazing, do wonder what happened to the son.

Sparkling Thu 14-Jan-21 09:42:02

IT was very good, hard to watch at times but I would love to know if Andrew made a life for himself, he was so short of money, company and a comfortable home. Despite all the cruelty he is a good man and deserves the rest of his life be good. There is a younger sister, Theressa but she was never mentioned.

Quercus Thu 14-Jan-21 09:43:32

I agree with Chestnut's posts. I found it fascinating and horrifying.

Sparkling Thu 14-Jan-21 09:43:51

I definitely wouldn't have watched if the murders had been reinacted. How awful would that be the families who have suffered enough.

Greyduster Thu 14-Jan-21 09:53:31

We watched this too and thought it was sensitively handled for a police drama. I heaved a sign of relief when the verdicts came in. We’ve spent many happy holidays in Little Haven and know that stretch of the coast path and the surrounding countryside very well. Horrible things happen in even the most beautiful of places.

janeainsworth Thu 14-Jan-21 10:04:10

Sparkling you might like this article
www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-merseyside-55587545
In it, Steve Wilkins says that when the drama was suggested to him, his first thought was for the families & the victims, and how important it was to him that it should be sensitively portrayed and not sensationalised. I think the cast and the producer & director succeeded admirably.

Daisymae Thu 14-Jan-21 10:10:02

I thought it was very worthwhile and gripping even though we did know the outcome. The eye for detail and dedication shown by the police was amazing.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 10:18:49

Jane10

Callistemon those forensic costs would be the same whoever employed the scientists to carry out the painstaking work plus their equipment. It just wouldn't be as itemised I suppose.
I definitely would not have watched if the offences were re enacted.

Yes, possibly , Jane10 but it is all so different since privatisation. Profits entered the equation.
Cameron knew he'd made a mistake.

Auntieflo Thu 14-Jan-21 10:27:59

I enjoyed it and thought it well done, even DH who wasn't interested even got caught up with the story.

There is a follow up on Ch4 tonight, at 9 pm, if anyone is interested.