Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

It’s A Sin.

(77 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 23-Jan-21 08:10:54

Anyone else watch this last night on Channel 4?

Written by Russell T Davies, focusing on just before AIDS became a global issue.

To me, seemed very similar to another of his, Queer As Folk.

I shall keep watching.

littleflo Sun 24-Jan-21 10:30:36

@Framilode if you go to “4” you can watch all episodes. On ours it is labelled my4. I think it is ALL 4 on some packages . I stayed up to finish it. I found it really moving.

Iam64 Sun 24-Jan-21 18:32:23

Keeley Hawes is genius. She can only do so much with a part

Jaffacake2 Mon 25-Jan-21 17:48:24

Just binge watched the series and found it so emotional . It brought back memories of all the gay friends I had in the 70s from sharing a large house when I was nursing. Lovely fun men who I shared many cups of tea ,and alcohol, destressing over a hard day in the hospital.
This series made me wonder how many of them may have contracted HIV in the 80s .So sad to think of that waste of life and the homophobia that went alongside tragedies. Admired Princess Diana for the way she tried to change the attitudes by hugging and holding hands with AIDs patients. Brave to do considering how vile the press were at that time towards the gay community.
Thank goodness there is less prejudice now although I know it still exists.

Framilode Mon 25-Jan-21 20:18:55

Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction.

I thought it a wonderful series, so terribly sad but also uplifting.

Blondiescot Wed 27-Jan-21 12:42:40

Utterly brilliant - I binge watched it yesterday. Very emotional - so many excellent performances. The world would be a much better place if we had more Jills.

Litterpicker Wed 27-Jan-21 12:55:56

Interesting and moving to read the comments of those who were affected or knew people who were affected at the time. I live in Brighton in the mid to late 90s and noughties and knew many people who had lost friends and partners. The annual World AIDS Day commemorations were, and are very important there. I haven’t watched the series yet but plan to.

Ilovecheese Wed 27-Jan-21 19:24:36

I didn't think I could admire Keeley Hawes acting any more than I did already but by golly she is brilliant in this.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 31-Jan-21 12:34:35

I watched all the episodes over a couple of nights. I lived through those days and remember how terrified we all felt. PrincessDiana dispelled some of the dread by sitting with AIDS patients and holding their hands. Prior to that we thought you could get it by sharing a glass for instance.
However, I was still a bit shocked by how promiscuous some of the gay community were. You’re obviously going to get something if you share yourself around that enthusiastically.
I also remember an interview with Freddie Mercury where he gleefully said “Darling, I’ve done everything with everybody” and wished he’d be more careful.

Alishka Sun 31-Jan-21 18:00:46

I've just finished binge-watching it. It was interspersed with ads for Love Island.....diff'rent times.
Like you, HannahLoisLuke I remember thinking, about the wonderful Freddie Mercury, " you silly,sillysod man! You knew the risks,just...why?

MayBee70 Sun 31-Jan-21 22:13:27

Damn. I forgot to watch episode 2 and I haven’t got catchup for Ch4.

BlueBelle Sun 31-Jan-21 22:29:47

You can easily put Channel 4 app on Maybee takes two minutes

trisher Sun 31-Jan-21 22:34:57

I'm loving this. Not watching it all at once I quite like a serial. I did do some on-line research because I knew that HIV is most active in Africa. There's a timeline on the site. It's been around much longer than we imagine and the death toll is huge
timeline.avert.org/?571/Gay-Health-series

MayBee70 Tue 02-Feb-21 12:31:33

Thanks BlueBelle. I tried to download the app but it said it was unavailable. I’ll try again though. I’m terrified of doing anything that might lock me out of my ipad as I’m so dependent on it these days and am a complete technophobe.

Washerwoman Tue 02-Feb-21 15:04:14

Just finished this and it had me weeping.Brilliantly acted by all the cast -and one of the most powerful things I've seen on TV in a long time.Amongst all the prejudice and sadness I actually found the kindness of Jill and Colins mum just as emotional.

Franbern Sat 06-Feb-21 15:49:40

Thirty million dead from AIDS since 1981, tens of thousands still dying each year. Yes, drugs to help manage it, but still no vaccine or cure. It is still on going.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 15:54:14

maybee you won’t lock yourself out I know what you mean
I m so dependant on mine for most of my entertainment

Buffybee Sat 06-Feb-21 15:57:17

I also watched this over a couple of nights and agree it was very sad and moving.
I remember the times well and a friend of mine deciding to become asexual, which he has been for the rest of his life.

Ilovecheese Sat 06-Feb-21 16:02:01

I've just been reading an interesting thread on Mumsnet, about how the character of Jill was portrayed as only existing to support the male characters and having no real life of her own.

MayBee70 Sat 06-Feb-21 19:08:24

BlueBelle

maybee you won’t lock yourself out I know what you mean
I m so dependant on mine for most of my entertainment

It just won’t let me. Spoke to a friend yesterday who has the same problem with all catch-ups except BBC. We both said that we were having to plan our evenings around which programmes we have to watch ‘live’. Thankfully I nodded off last night with the telly on and woke up to find episode2 was on so I was able to watch it! Having said that I think I nodded off again because I’m trying to remember what happened!

Alioop Sat 06-Feb-21 21:26:54

Wow, loving it! I was late teens, early 20s in the 80s and remember the advert coming on and it really did shock us. The music in it is brilliant too and has taken me back to my weekends in discos with all my friends. It is so well written about the time, the worry and not really understanding HIV at all. Reminded me of Queer as Folk too, loved it.

BlueBelle Sat 06-Feb-21 22:23:34

La...

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 06-Feb-21 22:31:31

My son did his Masters at Manchester Uni in Gender, Sexuality and Culture. His dissertation was on ‘Queer as Folk and Hunks in Trunks’. He got funding too and ended up with a Merit.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 23:18:47

Ilovecheese

I've just been reading an interesting thread on Mumsnet, about how the character of Jill was portrayed as only existing to support the male characters and having no real life of her own.

I read today that the character of Jill is based on a friend of Russell T Davies who lived in the Pink Palace. The “real” Jill plays the character’s mother in It’s a Sin.

I think the series is fantastic, but wouldn’t expect anything less from Davies.

Maggiemaybe Sat 06-Feb-21 23:22:36

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/lifestyle/amp35419173/its-a-sin-jill-nalder-interview/

Franbern Sun 07-Feb-21 10:49:30

Maggiemaybe thanks for link to great article.