Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Dig on Netflix

(14 Posts)
Daisymae Fri 29-Jan-21 21:27:43

Really enjoyed it. Will have to read more now. The lovely house and grounds isn't actually Sutton Hoo. It's a quite austere house in an exposed site.

Littleannie Fri 29-Jan-21 20:56:04

I have just watched this. It is wonderful!

TerriBull Fri 29-Jan-21 19:42:57

Oh good, I heard it was imminent, have read a few articles about it so look forward to watching it.

Sparklefizz Fri 29-Jan-21 19:38:04

tanith

Sparklefizz if you know someone who has Netflix you could ask if they would share with you, they are allowed to share Netflix with people.

Thanks tanith. I am sharing it with my ACs.

Septimia Fri 29-Jan-21 18:53:36

I think I've read the book - but I've read so many recently that I can't remember!

DS took DGD to Sutton Hoo when she was quite small. She tried on the replica helmet and was intrigued by the 'Amblo-Saxon' king. When we went the museum was closed.

Will archaeologists find it convincing though?

Littleannie Fri 29-Jan-21 18:51:02

I think you will find Netflix no longer do the month's free offer.

Daisymae Fri 29-Jan-21 18:46:50

Will watch this tonight. I know Sutton Hoo well, but I don't really know where the NT spent their £2 million refurb. I think that I was expecting something 21st century but I found it a bit of a disappointment.

tanith Fri 29-Jan-21 18:22:20

Sparklefizz if you know someone who has Netflix you could ask if they would share with you, they are allowed to share Netflix with people.

Sparklefizz Fri 29-Jan-21 18:20:35

keeping quiet If you go onto the Netflix site you will often find they offer a free month. I took advantage of it a few years ago to watch the first series of The Crown. You just have to remember to cancel the free offer when the month is up.

My AC bought me a year's sub to Netflix for my birthday last year as I have been shielding for 10 months.

keepingquiet Fri 29-Jan-21 17:49:58

This is one reason I would get Netflix! Not even sure how I get it- lucky enough to go on a dig myself a few years ago. Great fun!

tanith Fri 29-Jan-21 15:48:40

I’m going to watch that tomorrow and I let my sister know this morning to look out for it.

Sparklefizz Fri 29-Jan-21 15:45:31

Yes, I've visited it too Gingster, back in the day. I love anything to do with ancient history and archaeology.

Gingster Fri 29-Jan-21 15:44:23

I have been looking forward to this. I have visited the Sutton Hoo museum and grounds. Very interesting. They have been updating it this year m so will look forward to going again, when we are allowed.

I’ll watch the programme tonight.

Sparklefizz Fri 29-Jan-21 15:41:24

I can highly recommend The Dig just released today on Netflix, based on the true story of the archaeological dig and important finds at Sutton Hoo. Great cast and well filmed.