Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV Adverts

(33 Posts)
specki4eyes Thu 04-Feb-21 14:26:21

We're all watching more tv at the moment I'm sure. Inevitably there are adverts. One advert in particular is making me vow never to use that company's product. It begins with a girl diving into water and continues as she goes on safari, attends a festival, treks through the jungle etc and then ends with her lying on a beach lounger. We are advised to "find our escape, find our surprise" etc. How insensitive and irresponsible is this advertiser? I cant think who it is because it makes me so annoyed I have to reach for the remote! Wouldnt we all love to even PLAN an escape if it was at all feasible. I think its Trailfinders. Well they can go and find their own escape in my book. The 'Irish airline' has just been fined for exhorting us to "Jab and Go". As I said, irresponsible and insensitive. My son has three flights still waiting to be refunded.

cornishpatsy Sat 06-Feb-21 17:21:12

Anyone noticed the tiny writing at the bottom of an ad for some miracle anti wrinkle creams " 63% of 72 people agree" sounds better than only 45 people think this works.

sodapop Sat 06-Feb-21 16:33:42

Sassenach512 that perf with surf ad really annoys me as well it's so stupid.
My favourite ad of all time has to be the one where the dog was trying to stop his owner putting his favourite toy in the bin.

LullyDully Sat 06-Feb-21 15:36:42

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it thank you.

LullyDully Sat 06-Feb-21 15:35:59

And the funeral advertisement stop about 5.00. I hate them.

specki4eyes Fri 05-Feb-21 15:44:34

Yes sassenach512 that one..omg! She says its "pratty", you said it!. It usually begins with someone shouting "Bum! Hips" ..I nearly break a limb rushing for the remote! And why do women's leaky bits feature so often but never men's? A "little bit of wee"? A pad which "catches the wee"? Oh please! Allow us girls some dignity! Oh and those adverts for gravy powder ..the gravelly old lady voice..yuk! Maybe I should get a life?

M0nica Fri 05-Feb-21 14:38:16

I watch tv about once a week when I do the ironing. I usually go for a lifestyle type programme. On Wednesday I watched the Restore Barn programme. I cannot remember any of the adverts. It might be a BBC programme, which would xplain why I do not remember any.

ayse Fri 05-Feb-21 14:22:22

I loathe all the ads so have to pushed to watch anything with them on terrestrial tv and inbox ads get dumped.

The worst ones IMO are those that exhort people to “buy now and save”. What they actually mean is buy it now just in case it’s more expensive later and we are going to get rid of this version and replace it with a newer model.

So many people are taken in and end up spending money!

sassenach512 Fri 05-Feb-21 14:08:50

The 'perf with surf' bimbo drives me up the wall as does the woman who thinks we all want to watch her bend over and see how we can't see her incontinence pad, I just want to kick her up the backside. How do we never see men advertising these things and the ghastly, crepey, supposedly 'pretty' underware that goes with them?

rockgran Fri 05-Feb-21 13:36:59

The adverts go on so long you have time to lay a bit of lino!

Juliet27 Fri 05-Feb-21 13:33:29

shysal

*CrazyH*, I hate those Nationwide adverts and find myself shouting 'shut up' at them as I press the mute button.

Same here Shysal

fourormore Fri 05-Feb-21 13:28:35

I can't help but wonder what effect all the Funeral Plans, DIY Cremations and life insurance to leave to 'the Famly' when I die, is having on the poor loves sat alone all day with only the TV for company? sadsadsad

Foxglove77 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:29:31

I love the black horse on the Lloyd's Bank adverts. Beautiful.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 12:23:06

One other is the little girl in the PG Tips advert, pouring tea to her dolls and teddies and talking to them. Aw, so clever.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Feb-21 12:21:12

Stephen Morrison-Burke is the poet on the Nationwide advert. A calming voice and the only advert I like.

kircubbin2000 Fri 05-Feb-21 12:11:51

I think it's Virgin media. Awful voice, makes me wonder if it is the same guy in the Asda one, Sonny.

annodomini Fri 05-Feb-21 11:24:55

I always record Countdown so that I can fast forward over the advertisements for funeral plans, stair lifts and walk-in baths. I'm only 80 for goodness' sake!

NellG Fri 05-Feb-21 11:07:37

I didn't realise that ( being a bit dumb sometimes) now that most of us have digital TV via a box that our TV choices are logged into an algorithm and we then see adverts that the algorithm deems 'suitable' for us as a target audience.

It has a slight 1984 feel .

jaylucy Fri 05-Feb-21 10:59:41

Just like a while back, if you were watching Countdown, nearly every ad break was for Otex to remove wax from your ears- just what you need with a cup of tea and a biscuit!
At the moment, while eating our evening meal and watching the two Australian soaps, we are regaled with incontinence ads - either the trickle or whoosh one , or the one where you have to look at a woman's bottom while she lifts weights.
There is also the one for erectile disfunction - the way the man says "e-rect-ile" with so much oomph really puts you off your dinner .
Both just a tad worse than the constant ones for sanitary products could be shown at better times!

Blossoming Fri 05-Feb-21 10:56:02

We don’t have a TV but internet adverts can be just as irritating.

shysal Fri 05-Feb-21 10:50:37

CrazyH, I hate those Nationwide adverts and find myself shouting 'shut up' at them as I press the mute button.

Oldwoman70 Fri 05-Feb-21 08:40:54

I have given up watching any TV - except the news. I usually settle down for the evening with one of my collection of DVDs. I agree with specki4eyes too many "reality" shows and competition programmes.

Witzend Fri 05-Feb-21 08:31:08

That’s the great advantage of recording and later zooming through all the ads.
Most of them irritate me TBH.

aggie Fri 05-Feb-21 08:29:56

It’s the lovely flower and seed catalogues in my letter box that get me gnashing my teeth . Look closely and see .... We do not deliver to Northern Ireland ! .... grrrrr

Kim19 Fri 05-Feb-21 08:25:09

Find people arranging and discussing their funerals with buoyancy and positivity somewhat amusing.

LullyDully Fri 05-Feb-21 08:18:52

Lovely Brummie accent and set in Gas Street Basin central Birmingham. I love that one too.