Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gemma Collins

(30 Posts)
Lilypops Fri 12-Feb-21 09:10:02

Did anyone watch Piers Morgan interviewing Gemma Collins last night , what did you think, ?

FannyCornforth Fri 12-Feb-21 09:59:23

I haven't seen it. I can't imagine it getting a great reception here tbh, as neither PM or GC are exactly well loved.
What did you think - it clearly took you by surprise. Was the GC more of a sympathetic character than she usually comes across?

Urmstongran Fri 12-Feb-21 10:19:04

I was going to watch it then forgot to be honest. What did you think of it Lilypops?

Lilypops Fri 12-Feb-21 10:39:41

Yes I did feel some sympathy towards G.C. On Piers Morgan show , she came across as quite humble , the Diva act is just an act that she has to do for tv. , though she admitted she had made a lot of money from it , but she had hardships , she lost a child ( stillborn) The man she thought she would marry dumped her, she struggles with weight and got bullied for it, There were a lot of genuine tears spilt last night, ,under all that bravado, she is quite ordinary , her Mum and Dad were in the audience too, their faces when she admitted to Piers Morgan that she had made a sex tape of herself on her phone and intended to sell it at some time were a picture ?but Piers told her she should delete it and have some respect for herself and family, she promised she would, So yes, I saw her in a better light last night , up till then I didn’t like her,

Aveline Fri 12-Feb-21 11:14:24

Well done Piers for telling her that.

BlueBelle Sat 13-Feb-21 08:28:27

I couldn’t watch as I take exception with the idea of her being called a celebrity shes a damaged girl who has put herself in the limelight then cried about it, which I suppose is her talent
Millions of people have been bullied or lost a child or a loved one or had much much more heartache but it’s all constant whining in public and being called famous that irritates me enormously The same can be said for her past boyfriend arge Katie Price Kerry Katona joey Essex the Moffet lady and all the others where fame doesn’t come from a talent but a place of ‘ look at me,me, me’
I had a little respect for Katie Price after she made the documentary about Harvey for bringing autism to the viewers eyes and hearts but otherwise she sits in the same category

Sarnia Sat 13-Feb-21 08:44:22

I saw the trailer for this programme a few days ago and when GC mentioned the words 'because I am famous' I decided it was not for me. She is famous for what exactly? BlueBelle refers to others in the same category as GC. and she is right, there isn't a spoonful of talent between the lot of them. The media has put them where they are. Look at the Kardashians. Cleverly marketed by their mother, they are another zero talented bunch of Botoxed and surgically enhanced females who sit around and flaunt their palatial homes and eye-watering wealth by doing nothing except appear on their 'reality' shows. How sad that these are today's role models for so many impressionable youngsters. Where have the inspirational, achieving women gone?

Kalu Sat 13-Feb-21 08:45:04

I don’t watch reality TV yet I know more about these so called celebs than I care to as they seem to pop up all over social media.

I agree BlueBelle, many have had sad/unhappy occasions in their lives and I sympathise but they don’t share it with the world. I can’t imagine how her parents must have felt to hear her tell millions of people that she had made a sex tape. Troubled minds should be sharing such things with a therapist, not Piers Morgan.

lemsip Sat 13-Feb-21 08:50:05

well, what did you think? Lilypops

lemsip Sat 13-Feb-21 08:51:07

okay, I should have read all before posting lol

Kalu Sat 13-Feb-21 08:52:07

My thoughts too Sarnia. How sad people like this are roll models for young girls thinking these examples are inspirational.

Galaxy Sat 13-Feb-21 08:59:03

I think if you put very young women,teenagers in these situations dont be surprised if it goes horrifically wrong. Especially if like kerry katona they are completely vulnerable and already damaged.

Calendargirl Sat 13-Feb-21 09:30:12

I’d never heard of her until by chance I caught a random episode of Dancing On Ice when she was on.

I felt sorry for her partner, talk about trying to make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear, skating wise.

She was so deluded about her non existent ability.

No, I didn’t watch the PM programme.

Callistemon Sat 13-Feb-21 10:19:04

Whispers quietly - who is Gemma Collins?

I have heard of the other person mentioned, I'm not completely out of the loop.

TerriBull Sat 13-Feb-21 10:41:56

I'm another who agrees with Bluebell's sentiments re. Gemma Collins, I think the whole gamut of people elevated to "stardom" for no particular reason other than putting much of their life up for public consumption is a downside of the times we are living in. I think I read somewhere that Daniel Craig, on a chat show in America, ripped into the Kardashian type culture and I imagine struggling actors, musicians, singers who have talent and are working hard to follow a chosen path in the arts, with many knockbacks along the way, must look at individuals such as Gemma Collins and just ask "why?"

Oh Callistemon, I do think you are a candidate for initiation into all aspects of low brow culture. Try and keep up [! It's no good browsing "The Lady" or "Horse and Hound" that won't learn ya anything grin May I recommend a stash of "Heat" magazine when next in the hairdressers, that should bring you up to date!

Callistemon Sat 13-Feb-21 10:50:08

That's the problem Terribull, I haven't been to the hairdresser's for 11 months and two weeks! It used to be good to catch up on all the royals and slebs in Hello etc while I was waiting to be coiffed. Then he'd come and say "could you take off your glasses please" when I was halfway though an exciting story about a famous nonentity.

TerriBull Sat 13-Feb-21 11:07:15

I think many of us missing the hairdresser not only for being coiffed, hope that's a word!, but also for dipping our Clark's shod toes Louboutin's, into the highly informative world of those that inhabit "Hello" type magazines sad

BlueBelle Sat 13-Feb-21 12:17:04

Calliste Gemma is a rather overweight, rather bleached blonde lady with a fairly loud opinionated and probably a bit put on Essex accent that came to prominence through one of the silly shows that we pay a license fee for ..lwas it The only way is Essex? a show I ve never watched but she seems to pop up everywhere in any kind of reality show going, be it dancing, skating, cooking She seems to feel the need to air all her dirty washing in public
I think she’s probably a nice hearted fairly damaged young lady but why are we expected to see these people as ‘stars’ or celebrities when they are just attention seekers
I don’t have a problem with attention seekers if they are talented in some way, but being famous and earning silly money for making a lot of noise and ruckus doesn’t cut it with me

sodapop Sat 13-Feb-21 12:18:22

Spot on BlueBelle

grin Terribull and don't forget its pronounced Horse and Hind by the upper echelons.

AmberSpyglass Sat 13-Feb-21 12:56:37

The thing is, it is a talent. You could follow me around with a camera doing the exact same things that Gemma Collins is doing and it would be dull as ditchwater. She’s invented a character, puts on a show - and don’t forget, these reality shows are all staged. I prefer her to the vile Piers Morgan any day.

Calendargirl Sat 13-Feb-21 13:01:39

BlueBelle

To be fair, TOWIE was an ITV show I think, so our licence money wasn’t wasted on Gemma coming to prominence.

Granted it is wasted on lots of other rubbish.

Galaxy Sat 13-Feb-21 13:04:42

Yes I was about to say Towie wasnt the BBC.

grannyrebel7 Sat 13-Feb-21 13:27:53

I think she came across well and I felt sorry for her and ended up liking her.

seacliff Sat 13-Feb-21 13:45:07

I haven't seen the programme, but I am always a bit suspicious about her tears.

I did read that her Dad is now dealing with her finances, and giving her £3,000 a month pocket money. This is because she was just blowing thousands in Gucci shops and expensive hotels. She is 40 years old, he is 73 ish, what happens when he can no longer advise her. She should have grown up a bit by now and learn to look after her finances.

BlueBelle Sat 13-Feb-21 13:49:22

Oh come on amber she is dull as ditchwater making lots of screamy noises and being argumentative and tearful isn’t a talent so we ll have to disagree on that one
Is she never on BBC then folks ?
How do you watch ITV on a normal TV without buying a license ?