Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Line of Duty - Series 6

(618 Posts)
muse Sun 21-Mar-21 12:34:53

Yes - finally. About to start tonight. 7 episodes. This is in my top three of great crime drama series. The Bridge is second with Shetland third.

The phone will be on silent and MrM had better not interrupt my pleasure. I think he's tempted to watch it though.

Jed Mercurio never ceases to come up with a great story line. Series 3 was probably be best so far for me.

Eloethan Mon 03-May-21 20:18:57

I must admit I found the ending a bit "flat", perhaps because I also found it quite confusing.

If I understood properly, the final comments suggested that the whole endeavour to root out corruption was largely a waste of time since it was mostly covered up.

I don't know if anybody has been watching the three-part series Bent Coppes: Crossing the Line of Duty, the events of which it is reported Line of Duty was loosely based on. It was truly shocking. People at very senior levels in the Met and City of London Police were in league with the criminal groups and, apart from a few token prosecutions, the systemic corruption was largely covered up. Junior police officers were, as it were, inducted into a chain of corrupt officers and it seems some felt they could not take their complaints to anyone since they knew that some of the people at the top were part of the problem. A former woman police officers did apparently "whistleblow" and was more or less sent to coventry by her colleagues. I think police officers of any rank, but particularly those in very senior roles, who engage in these practices are worse than the criminals.

NanKate Mon 03-May-21 20:48:11

I’ve just watched it again in case I missed anything first time. Near the end Inspector Hastings said to Carmichael that he wanted to stop his retirement going through, so I suppose that could mean a series 7.

Ashcombe Wed 05-May-21 12:56:11

?

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 17:23:05

trisher

I thought Tommy Hunter -Jo Davisons real father told her that Marcus Thurwell was her father???

trisha, no Tommy told Jo her father was Fairbanks. What a scary creep he is, definately not as demented as he prestends

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 17:30:27

I have just been told that yes, this was the original intended ending and that the clues were in Series 1? in an exchange between Buckells and Dot Cottan, The Caddy. Buckells gave Cottan permission to speak with Tommy Hunter in private after his arrest which would not happen.

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 17:32:28

Callistemon - keep up at the back ??. The Facebook LoD threads are great run

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 17:32:37

Fun - not run

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 17:41:15

Sorry, I've not been been taking much notice lately. Gransnet is generally rancorous an unpleasant these days, best avoided (not this thread).
I was just told that and thought I'd share.

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 17:51:21

I agree with you about gransnet in recent times Callistemon. Rancorous is a good word to use -
I’m not sure what to watch now LoD is over.

muse Wed 05-May-21 17:58:32

If anyone's not listened to it yet, I can recommend the BBC sounds podcast with Craig Parkinson (Dot). Obsessed with ... They're all good especially the two that include chats with Jed Mercurio. The last was done on the Monday after the final ep.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p09gftky

I watched Bent Coppers Eloethan. Very good.
they could not take their complaints to anyone since they knew that some of the people at the top were part of the problem. This happens in other organisations as well as police.

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 19:11:30

Callistemon - no offence meant. I get over excited where Joseph, Mary, Jesus and the wee donkey are concerned

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 19:31:30

I must knit a donkey.
I already have Mary, Joseph and Baby Jesus.

But of course, Mary rode on the donkey before Jesus was born (is that another clue?)

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 21:01:07

Definately

muse Wed 05-May-21 21:06:43

Jed Mercurio's reply: Posted today on Twitter ?

Iam64 Wed 05-May-21 21:16:39

????

Jaxjacky Wed 05-May-21 21:17:01

?? muse

Callistemon Wed 05-May-21 23:05:24

I can't wait!!!
??