Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Giles Brandreth/Jane Austen tonight.

(15 Posts)
Ealdemodor Wed 31-Mar-21 13:24:36

Tonight on Channel 5, a programme with Giles Brandreth talking about the life and times of Jane Austen.
Sounds good!

Casdon Wed 31-Mar-21 13:39:58

I like the sound of that, thanks for highlighting.

Ellianne Wed 31-Mar-21 13:42:06

Thank you.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Mar-21 15:33:14

Channel 5 have some amazing programmes theses days. I’m watching it more and more.

Jane43 Wed 31-Mar-21 16:36:58

I’ll watch that, thank you for the alert.

Urmstongran Wed 31-Mar-21 17:33:16

From The Telegraph today:

“Those who feel a little Gyles Brandreth goes a long way may want to steer clear of Channel 5 for the next few Wednesdays, as he explores the lives and works of Thomas Hardy, Charles Dickens and the Brontë sisters. That said, he’s on relatively restrained form for this opening episode, reining in the archness and not dressing up any more than, say, Lucy Worsley might on a similar assignment to visit key locations in Jane Austen’s life and talk to the experts.

Along the way he encounters the scribblings of a teenage Jane that showcase her imagination already at work, splicing her name with a fictional person called Fitzwilliam. He takes the waters in Bath just as she did while accompanying her brother in search of a cure for his gout, and joins Austentatious, the popular Jane-inspired improv gang, for a skit, alongside more serious excursions into her political views and private life. None of it will come as news to hardened Janeites (a term popularised by confirmed fan Rudyard Kipling), but that’s hardly the point. Bursting with clips from the many Austen adaptations of recent years, this is literature done Channel 5 style, and none the worse for that”

eazybee Wed 31-Mar-21 18:03:19

Is any one watching his programmes on canal journeys in a narrowboat with Sheila Hancock, on More 4? A delight.

Deedaa Wed 31-Mar-21 18:05:40

MayBee70 Channel 5 seems to be either really interesting historical and cultural programmes and total rubbish. The good stuff is definitely worth looking for.

MayBee70 Wed 31-Mar-21 23:44:22

I love the Ben Fogle programmes about people living in wild places. I always wanted to do something like that which is a bit daft because I’m totally impractical. So I like watching other people do it.

Kate1949 Thu 01-Apr-21 09:58:29

Thank you. We really enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series.

Ellianne Thu 01-Apr-21 10:02:25

I enjoyed it immensely and it brought back memories of studying Persuasion at A level.
I'm not sure whether I like Giles presenting. Sometimes he pulls silly faces and talks to us like children. He also likes telling us about himself a lot.
Thanks for the alert. Channel 5 is getting better and better in my opinion.

Casdon Thu 01-Apr-21 10:06:28

I enjoyed it too - Giles Brandreth is a bit OTT, but there was a lot of content in the programme which more than made up for that. Will be watching the rest of the series.

Alexa Thu 01-Apr-21 10:22:22

Liked the material he presented, the photography and everything but don't like Brandreth's facetious attitude. Not one of my favourite historians.

Ellianne Thu 01-Apr-21 10:23:58

Her father's church was beautiful.

Grandma70s Thu 01-Apr-21 10:36:48

I’ve never been keen on Jane Austen, so only know basic facts about her. This programme filled in some of the gaps. It’s always interesting to see actual places. I’d have preferred a rather more scholarly approach, but I still enjoyed it - apart from the unnecessary and unsuitable music.