Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our Yorkshire Farm - Back on Tuesday, 9 o'clock Channel 5

(51 Posts)
PippaZ Sun 11-Apr-21 18:53:15

Having seen a trailer those children having been doing some growing during lock-down.

Floradora9 Fri 04-Jun-21 16:17:24

It is a pity that you can see someone is feeding the little ones lines to say . They are asking questions that sound stilted and and not natural .

Lin52 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:19:06

Love this programme, a breath of fresh air. Seem a lovely family.

Sarnia Fri 28-May-21 09:25:23

I loved this week's episode where the children are performing their own Nativity. When Clemmy, playing Mary, was asked what she was going to call her baby, she replied 'Bob'. Lovely programme.

Kate1949 Wed 05-May-21 21:50:43

Amanda is touring the UK later in the year which should be interesting. smile

grannyrebel7 Wed 05-May-21 21:15:06

I love this programme too. Such gorgeous polite children. Both parents seem really engaged in everything they do. Little Sid is my favourite. I always wonder how Amanda has time for all the domestic stuff like cooking for 11 people every night and the amount of washing she must have to do to say nothing of shopping and cleaning. I can't imagine Clive pitching in with any of that, but he might do. I always wonder where they all sleep as well.

PippaZ Wed 05-May-21 20:28:32

I am entirely happy to take the programme at face value.

Me too.

Jaxjacky Wed 05-May-21 18:56:13

merlotgran I watch Adam to much for my own good ??

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-May-21 18:39:57

I am entirely happy to take the programme at face value.

Lovely escapism without the need to feel remotely judgmental.

merlotgran Wed 05-May-21 18:30:16

Lovely episode last night. Miles and Sid caught by a sniffer dog thanks to the smell of sausage rolls and ginger biscuits in their huge picnic. ??

Casdon Fri 30-Apr-21 22:18:00

I’m not sure that’s the case Aztra, it’s just that Clemmie seems to be more interested in the farming side of it than the other girls, she’s mad on horses and gets stuck in. The other child who gets more air time is Sidney, for the same reason. That’s why the cameras seem to focus on them more I think.

Aztra Fri 30-Apr-21 22:03:13

I think Clemmie is more verbal + overpowering than the others probably why the camera crew focuses on her. The youngest Nancy seemed to come out of her shell since Clemmie started school - even Amanda noticed that.

merlotgran Fri 30-Apr-21 18:43:14

No what I'm saying is all is not as it seems. They have help - that's not seen

Most farmers have help at busy times that's not needed during quieter times. This might be neighbours or contractors. I don't remember the Owens ever intimating that they do everything themselves.

The programme's aim is to highlight the tasks that the children learn from an early age and focuses on their enthusiasm and the warmth of their home life - what would be the point of it otherwise?

If you want the nuts and bolts of farming, watch Adam Henson on Countryfile.

I don't think Amanda favours Clemmie at all. Episodes often feature one child more than the others.

gillgran Fri 30-Apr-21 17:46:57

I've always loved this programme. I have an early book of Amanda's, her first, 2014, there were 7 children then, I think!

Washerwoman Fri 30-Apr-21 15:39:06

Azara.I have a friend who grew up in a family of 8 children.With a working mum.Like the Owens they all mucked in ,with older ones helping with the little ones.Like the Owens a lovely family and certainly not detrimetal to have some responsibilty for chores and siblings.Absolutely they can do it without help.Clive is a very competent parent and actually why shouldn't Amanda leave the farm for the odd day here and there.She has earned it and Clive seems proud and happy to let her shine.
She talked at a local WI a while back and was a great success. And as shes so passionate about their home and farm it's probably planned around the least busy times.eg lambing season.Would you say that if Clive was the one doing the appearances etc ?

Aztra Thu 29-Apr-21 17:46:48

No what I'm saying is all is not as it seems. They have help - that's not seen - they must do. I don't blame Amanda for earning extra on the media circuit but the TV portrays it like they're totally alone + it's not true - she couldn't possibly do all that she does via media AND everything else without any input from outsiders

PippaZ Thu 29-Apr-21 17:45:09

And are you saying that after watching an edited hour once a week you know enough to start pulling Amanda's parently apart? Honestly!

merlotgran Thu 29-Apr-21 17:35:56

So are you saying Amanda should be at home on the farm all the time and not following her other career interests which no doubt benefit the family financially?

Mary59nana Thu 29-Apr-21 17:25:34

Aztra iv watched and admire this wonderful family and dad especially as he has a really calming way about him.
But have noticed Amanda on the media trail lately and hopefully it won't change the dynamic of the family life

Aztra Thu 29-Apr-21 17:07:44

I notice all the little kids get attention + affection from Raven as Clemmie is the only one who gets any from mum. Amanda is all about " responsibility" being heaped on them I'm not sure that what we see is the real deal. As she is forever on book signings radio + TV guest appearances - so it doesn't add up.

mumofmadboys Sat 17-Apr-21 10:01:50

I met this family when DH and I walked the Coast to Coast back in 2014. She was serving tea and scones from her barn. Amanda was chatty and friendly and had her newest addition in a sling on her front.

Shinamae Fri 16-Apr-21 23:27:12

I absolutely love this and I’m so glad the new series has started. It’s one of the only programs where I catch myself smiling a lot just watching it. ?

merlotgran Fri 16-Apr-21 11:44:08

Have you noticed how the camera loves Edith? She is going to be a stunner.

JaneJudge Fri 16-Apr-21 09:07:11

silverlining48, Miles looks like he could be a model! smile

JaneJudge Fri 16-Apr-21 09:06:24

Gagagran

Does anyone else notice that Amanda never sits and eats with the family? Even at Christmas. I wonder if it's because she is busy serving the food to the other 10 of them. Whenever there is a meal scene filmed, I always check and have never yet seen her sit and eat with them!

A lot of people don't like eating in front of other people, I find it difficult to 'eat out' with people other than my own family and I just assumed she didn't want to be filmed eating.

silverlining48 Thu 15-Apr-21 09:07:24

I have only recently started watching this enjoyable series. There is a huge amount of work to be done on the new but very dilapidated farmhouse, which should guarantee future series.
The family are charming and appear to be living the dream but it will have been highly edited because they, like every other family,will have their moments.
A lovely relationship between Ruben and Sid (who has the makings of a good farmer himself ) but wonder how the third brother, (don’t know his name) might feel.
Altogether a great escape from
Covid,