Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Alice and her drink problem The Archers

(87 Posts)
Iam64 Tue 20-Apr-21 18:13:55

I’m finding the story line harrowing.
I realise Alice has a serious drink problem. I wish she and Chris would face reality. Go to their GP, which would trigger health visitor assessment and - tell their parents

Scribbles Mon 24-May-21 22:55:17

After listening to the episodes of the past week or so, I have come to the unhappy conclusion that if, in real life, I had Jennifer for a mother and Soosan for my MIL, then I'd be on the booze, too.

Iam64 Mon 24-May-21 18:50:19

I listened to the omnibus yesterday, having missed some episodes during the week. Great writing and acting. All the key characters were superb, especially Alice and Chris. Her attempts to manipulate Jim, the awful switch from charm to threats were so realistic.
It’s as good as the coercive control storyline.

LullyDully Sun 16-May-21 21:55:55

Yuck. I won't sleep tonight. Baby macaroons.......why?????

Greeneyedgirl Sun 16-May-21 10:11:01

OMG. Just seen realistic portrayal of baby faces on macaroons (for baby showers) on Twitter. Once seen never forgotten, be warned!

Greeneyedgirl Fri 14-May-21 09:19:36

I think drama has been one of the best things on the BBC which it still occasionally does well, but now with a reduced income. There is so much competition from commercial stations, and inevitably the BBC is in decline.
I believe that this is the government’s aim.

Elrel Fri 14-May-21 01:25:39

BBC are planning to cut several hours of drama on Radio 4.

Kate54 Thu 13-May-21 05:14:52

* LullyDully* completely agree. I don’t think it will evercreturn to six days a week. The BBC have made no announcements about scheduling since last August.

Elrel Thu 13-May-21 00:39:39

Ghastly Brian really is Mr Oblivious, incapable of contemplating that Alice is anything but clever and competent.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 11-May-21 20:51:20

They are discussing the psychology of Soaps, and the Archers in particular tonight in All in the Mind R4. Might just catch up with it later, may be interesting.

PippaZ Mon 10-May-21 19:45:58

There are quite a few older members of the Ambridge community. It may take a while for them to get back to the studio.

LullyDully Mon 10-May-21 19:37:19

What is really annoying me is the ' temporary schedule'.

When we are going back to Friday and Sunday evening's on the Archers?. I wrote to the BBC again and had a load of rubbish about covid which didn't make a lot of sense. Other programmes are managing and they are not even radio.

I feel it's a back door way of saving money.

Iam64 Sun 09-May-21 12:28:32

I’ve listened to the omnibus. What a shocking outburst from Brian to Fallon

grandmajet Fri 07-May-21 20:26:19

Yes, sad and upsetting. It must be awful to be an addict.
What will happen to all the Martha biscuits?!

I always thought Pip and Rex should end up together, he’s too good for Lily. I do agree that Russ is useless though.

Galaxy Fri 07-May-21 20:20:28

I agree that rex will end up with pip eventually, they like the whole brothers feud thing, but I think he will be with Lily first.

Iam64 Fri 07-May-21 19:06:31

I listened to the Christening episode at lunch time. Excellent script and acting IMO though a tough listen.
Chris loved Alice, he’s no experience of addiction, wanted a family and believed if he supported Alice with detox, her love of Martha along with his love and support would see them through. Desperately sad

Greeneyedgirl Fri 07-May-21 18:58:59

I found the episode upsetting too Merlot. In RL I don’t think they’d even have got to the christening after Alice’s lapse. She is basically following a usual alcoholic trajectory and I feel so sad for her. Chris needs a lot of support to understand what is happening, but I guess TA is primarily a drama so needs to ramp it up a bit. As to Rex and Lilly, I always expected him to end up with Pip.

merlotgran Fri 07-May-21 09:27:29

What about Rex and Pip though? He has always been keen on her.

PippaZ Fri 07-May-21 08:15:38

Elizabeth seems to be losing patience with Russ. He does seem to be a waste of space when it comes to work. I hope for good things for Rex and Lily.

I'm not coming to any conclusion about Alice and Chris's family (as they all now seem to be involved) until I hear a little more. Neil will probably act as a counter-balance to the two women.

Iam64 Fri 07-May-21 08:02:30

Exactly Galaxy, plus I rather like Rex. Russ on the other hand, creep if the first order

Galaxy Fri 07-May-21 07:49:55

I think although lily can be difficult, she is actually kind at heart, and no one deserves creepy Russ. Lily being with Rex carries on Elizabeth's historical relationship with the Fairbrothers.

Iam64 Fri 07-May-21 07:45:01

I haven’t heard last night’s yet. I’m not surprised the Christening was the catalyst for Alice’s drink problem being made known.

I’m enjoying the story of Rex moving to Lower Loxley. I hope he and Lily become good friends and more.

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-May-21 07:04:16

I thought it was very poorly written too Kate. I was also amazed they just walked away from the christening.

Galaxy - I would be disappointed if Rex took up with the awful Lily.

Galaxy Fri 07-May-21 06:50:52

The trouble is Alice was vile to Emma, I think it might be quite difficult to be generous to someone who was making threatening phone calls to you. But I have always had a soft spot for Emma.
I am hoping Rex's move to LL with his pigs is setting up a story for him and Lily to be together so Russ is finally given his marching orders.

Kate54 Fri 07-May-21 03:19:43

Not really as it was so unrealistic! One minute, Alice was turning down the gift of Champagne, the next so drunk on miniatures that Chris deemed her unsafe around the baby.
Great cliffhanger but in real life, everyone would know about the drink problem, they’d struggle through the Christening in an attempt to keep normal life going, the row would happen at home after the event and eventually, with luck,perhaps after years, Alice would reach rock bottom and seek help. Or die. By that stage, close family members would also have suffered.
Back in the world of what now looks like permanent four nights a week radio drama, (BBC still not owning up to this) I thought Emma’s reaction was appalling. Horrible and smug reaction.
On the other hand, if Alice had been honest with everyone, she may have got more sympathy.

merlotgran Thu 06-May-21 23:05:41

Is it just me or did anyone else find tonight's episode upsetting?

sad