Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Favourite TV show from Yesteryear.

(45 Posts)
cb1963 Wed 05-May-21 07:44:15

Can anyone remember a TV show from the 70s/80s that they couldn't wait to get home from school and watch?
Grange Hill springs to mind for me. I can still remember some characters, Mrs Mcluskey, Mr Bronson, Zammo Maguire, Tucker Jenkins.

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-May-21 15:05:01

Mork and Mindy . Magpie . Tales from Europe .

Whitewavemark2 Sun 09-May-21 13:55:38

I used to get home from school in the 50s and 60s.

Initially we had no television. Listen with mother on the radio at 2pm

Then of course Muffin the Mule, Jennifer and the flower fairies, later crackerjack and blue Peter. Oh The Black Tulip, Children of the New Forest. Popeye on itv I think

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 13:50:06

Chestnut
Lord Flashheart in Black Adder, especially Goes Forth ?
And I really fancied Alan B'stard too

Google images. He was a beautiful looking bloke

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 12:09:05

FannyCornforth

Rick was wonderful. So handsome.
I loved him.

How can you tell if he's handsome? He was always pulling those ridiculous faces!

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 11:37:52

Rick was wonderful. So handsome.
I loved him.

Jane43 Sun 09-May-21 11:15:44

FannyCornforth

I remember when the Young Ones 'happened'. It was sooo controversial.
I wasn't allowed to watch it, but managed to sneak upstairs and watch it when my mom was watering the garden!

Oh dear we must have been bad parents then because we used to watch it with both our boys, it was one of our favourite programmes and we have such happy memories of watching that and other programmes together, in fact I bought my DH the DVD for Christmas. One of the memorable scenes was the hippy Neil having a bath and playing his guitar, there was a power cut and he started to sing “Hello Darkness My Old Friend”. To this day whenever we hear the Simon and Garfunkel song we look at each other and smile because we are thinking of that scene from The Young Ones. We were all so upset when Rick Mayall died.

cb1963 Sun 09-May-21 10:21:23

My Dad who is 80yrs now was a big fan of Dick Barton special agent, on the radio.

Jane43 Sun 09-May-21 10:16:40

My Mum liked Mrs Dale’s Diary too, “I’m worried about Jim” was a frequently used opening statement. She liked The Archers too and Dad liked Journey Into Space. We only had radio until 1955 when I was 12.

cb1963 Sun 09-May-21 10:15:08

I too remember Hector's House. I think it was around the same time as Mary, Mungo and Midge.

cb1963 Sun 09-May-21 10:10:35

I remember Not The Nine O Clock News being quite near the knuckle for the time too.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 09:57:50

Tiswas was looked down upon aswell

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 09:56:50

I remember when the Young Ones 'happened'. It was sooo controversial.
I wasn't allowed to watch it, but managed to sneak upstairs and watch it when my mom was watering the garden!

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 09:55:00

Ah! It was! Thank you. Smith & Jones did a spoof called After Hours.

cb1963 Sun 09-May-21 09:43:28

Fanny Cornforth
I just googled and think it was called After Dark. ?

H1954 Sun 09-May-21 07:44:01

Oops ....WARD 10 ??

H1954 Sun 09-May-21 07:42:24

The Outer Limits - this was on very late and I only watched it if I was poorly and couldn't sleep, Mum liked it too.

Dixon Of Dock Green
Emergency Warn 10

Grandma70s Sun 09-May-21 07:31:55

yggdrasil

Oh you youngsters! In the 70s & 80s it was my children watching television when they came home from school.

Exactly. They watched Blue Peter and Grange Hill. (I watched them, too.)

No TV when I came home from school. Radio for me. My mother was always listening to Mrs Dale’s Diary. I remember Just William and The Bell Family.

FannyCornforth Sun 09-May-21 07:28:33

When I was at secondary school, Prisoner Cell Block H was a cult favourite. It was on really late.
There was lots of good late night TV then.

What was that arts program where they all say around a table in the dark, getting drunk?

Brookside in the 80s was amazing.

When I was at primary school I used to go home for dinner and watched the Cedar Tree with my mom.

I can't really think of any kids' TV that I really enjoyed other than Peanuts.

NotAGran55 Sun 09-May-21 07:18:26

I loved Top Of The Pops more than anything ,with the Monkeys a close second .
Not at school but later on I enjoyed The Clothes Show , even going to a live event version in Cardiff and Birmingham.

welbeck Sun 09-May-21 01:36:19

not so long ago, ie as an adult, staying in hotels with the novelty of tv in bedrooms.
i would put it on in the morning and discovered the delights of Pingu.
i read about him later, voiced by a Swiss-French man.
there is a marvellous episode where he gets left babysitting twins.

welbeck Sun 09-May-21 01:31:32

that Robinson Crusoe had beautiful haunting theme music, i think the show came from ? Czechoslovakia, and was dubbed.
now i can heard the whistled dialogue of the Clangers too !

one i liked was, All Our Yesterdays.

Jane43 Sat 08-May-21 22:25:18

Yes another oldie here, my boys were born in 1966 and 1968. I remember they used to like a series about Robinson Crusoe and also Black Beauty after school. When they were little they liked Hectors House and The Clangers.

Lin52 Sat 08-May-21 17:55:22

yggdrasil

Oh you youngsters! In the 70s & 80s it was my children watching television when they came home from school.

I know what you mean.

lemsip Sat 08-May-21 17:51:37

Bread

Amberone Sat 08-May-21 16:42:16

Grandmabatty

I agree with lots here. Alias Smith and Jones was a favourite. The Tomorrow People, The Waltons, The Baron, Randall and Hopkirk deceased. I'm sure I'll think of others.

I always wanted to be a Tomorrow Person with a belt I could press to get me somewhere immediately ?