Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Festival of Britain

(5 Posts)
Ealdemodor Wed 05-May-21 13:12:55

Some of you may like to know there is a programme tonight (Weds) on the Festival of Britain.
BBC 4, 9 p.m.

lemsip Fri 07-May-21 21:41:33

Thanks for that. will watch it on iplayer.

Welshwife Fri 07-May-21 22:15:14

I missed that and cannot get catch up here in France!
I went to the Festival of Britain - one of the things which amazed me was that Waterloo station had some modification so that when you came out of the station you were at the turnstiles of the exhibition.
I loved if - we went into what became the Festival Hall and saw a 3D film - it was only shapes dancing around but very new concept at the time and of course we needed to wear the specs. There were various Pavilions with differing subjects/ areas inside such as Science advances.
We did not go the big funfair at Battersea - they had lots of Festival mementoes.
The first three years of the 50s saw the Festival then a new Monarch followed by the Coronation.

Grandma70s Mon 10-May-21 13:14:34

My father took my brother, then about 14, to the South Bank exhibition. I (aged 11) stayed at home with my mother, and saw Margot Fonteyn dance in Liverpool. My mother had queued for six hours to get tickets, which I thought was a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

Chestnut Mon 10-May-21 14:13:32

I was a baby at the time but was fascinated to see the programme, especially as it was mostly in colour. A great slice of British history. The whole thing sounded so happy and upbeat, just the thing to cheer those poor war-weary folk. There were people talking who remembered it in some detail. I'm puzzled that I don't remember my parents mentioning it, and we lived in London.