Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Do we really want to watch people brush their teeth?

(67 Posts)
AcornFairy Sun 09-May-21 19:27:46

Does anyone else find the current trend to show characters on TV and film brushing their teeth - when there is absolutely no dental storyline - somewhat puzzling? Is this the thin end of the wedge when it comes to cameras in the bathroom?!

Babs758 Tue 11-May-21 10:52:28

I first noticed this in "Better Call Saul"! and that was a while ago..

Sallyann51 Tue 11-May-21 11:01:28

I don’t like to see teeth cleaning, peeing or any other bathroom activity. It adds nothing to the production

Minerva Tue 11-May-21 11:04:20

I’m not overly bothered about the teeth brushing or even the sitting on the loo but like rockgran I really hate it when soap and other drama characters walk away from a plate of food or have it put in front of them and it gets pushed away because they ‘aren’t hungry’. Such a bad example and hard to watch for hungry people who can’t afford such food. In Eastenders, which I’ve long given up on, they would walk out of the pub leaving a nearly full glass of alcohol. Who does that!

timetogo2016 Tue 11-May-21 11:07:11

It fills in air time.

Alison333 Tue 11-May-21 11:21:21

In the Pursuit of Love on Sunday evenings, two characters actually ate some food and had to chew and swallow before saying their lines! Normally, when food appears on film, people just seem to wave forks over it!

Silverhippy Tue 11-May-21 11:23:17

The thing that really annoys me in TV and film from all over the world, is the number of people who go out to a parked car at night, and get into it and switch their headlights on BEFORE starting the engine. When I learned to drive over 50 years ago we were always told to start the engine before switching the lights on as having the headlights on while starting the engine could consume too much electricity and the battery could be flattened before the engine started!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 11-May-21 11:24:42

When films were a new venture here in Denmark, my grandmother said people were often shown cleaning their teeth or washing their faces, or hands. This was thought to encourage good hygiene.

She objected to this, which fails to surprise any of us.

I object to seeing any young woman who according to the story-line is supposed to be newly pregnant, being sick into the toilet bowl! Or sitting on the toilet waiting for a pregnancy test to turn the appropriate colour.

Surely her delight or consternation could be expressed outside the bathroom?

GardenofEngland Tue 11-May-21 11:25:08

Ro60 I completely agree with the eating and Gemma in Corrie chewing, I have to go out of the room! And when did people stop using a knife and fork properly? Come dine with me....I can't watch it

Petalpop Tue 11-May-21 11:43:02

Can't say that seeing them brush their teeth bothers me in the slightest. People eat, vomit, clean their teeth and have rampant sex (occasionally) all part of life. Depends if it is relevant to the program. But then again I love a good old late night horror movie and so I suppose cleaning teeth does not come up too often - unless it is a modern version of Dracula I suppose.

halfpint1 Tue 11-May-21 11:48:34

Too often the 'heroine' of a film will find she is pregnant,
doesn't want anyone to know and puts the pregnancy test in
the bin - Jennifer Aniston in friends for one springs to mind.
They never stash it away secretly obviously the plot can't
unfold if they did!

Aepgirl Tue 11-May-21 11:48:45

Are they trying to send us a message we don’t need?

Kartush Tue 11-May-21 12:04:50

i dont mind it at all, I mean the actors are portraying people and people do all of those things. I think its funny that no-one said oh we hate to see the hugging or the sexy bits but have a problem with bathroom bits.

TrishJ Tue 11-May-21 12:07:23

My pet hate at the moment is people chopping carrots!! They never cook anything just chop carrots!

Newatthis Tue 11-May-21 12:10:41

Sitting on the toilet - why oh why do we have to see this. Many time the actors will be sitting around the table but nobody eats.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 11-May-21 12:15:06

Chestnut

What puzzles me is how they can walk around chatting while cleaning their teeth. I am pouring toothpaste everywhere and have to stand over the washbasin. Maybe that's just me.

That was one of the things that drove me mad about my ex, he’d walk into the bedroom, talking and dribbling toothpaste all over the carpet and it’s a nightmare to get the marks out.

Bazza Tue 11-May-21 12:46:26

I’d certainly rather have the bathroom scenes than the bedroom ones! Why do we have to see what’s going on? I’m no prude but I really don’t want to see anything jiggy thanks. Just turn the light off and move on with the story.

Grandmabeach Tue 11-May-21 12:49:33

Littleannie

Even worse is when they show people vomiting!

Especially if it is an evening when you have decided to have supper on a tray in front of the TV!

springishere Tue 11-May-21 12:59:52

I hate seeing people putting food into their mouths and chewing with their mouths open. Very bad manners.

Catlover123 Tue 11-May-21 14:02:28

what's worse is when they show people on the loo!!!!!

Dianehillbilly1957 Tue 11-May-21 14:30:27

Strange thing to have to watch! What'll be next I'm wondering!!!!!

threexnanny Tue 11-May-21 14:37:45

During 'In the Pursuit of Love' on Sunday it did seem a bit too much when the two girls had relieved themselves in neighbouring cubicles we had to see Lily James wiping herself too.

No they did not wash their hands after!

cannotbelieveiamaskingthis208 Tue 11-May-21 14:42:16

I drives me crazy. I have to look away every time.

Rosina Tue 11-May-21 14:43:08

The vomiting is a particular hate - why do we need to see mouthfulls of coloured make up department stuff when it could be done so more discreetly? I also really dislike the tonsil tennis type of kisses - and yes, the poor table manners with cutlery waving about, and people eating with mouths open. I also wonder why most people don't eat the food they have ordered - there is usually a steaming row and one person storms off, leaving the food untouched. Intolerant type, aren't I? hmm

Greciangirl Tue 11-May-21 14:49:11

I have also heard that dentists advocate not rinsing one’s mouth out after brushing. It’s a fairly new thing, I think.

Personally, I never feel fresh if I don’t rinse afterwards.

Coco51 Tue 11-May-21 15:35:59

Yes. And I really, really hate the sex on the kitchen counter cliche. It has been so overdone.
(Just imagine they’ll be preparing food there later!!!)