Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Run out of things to watch!

(127 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 12-May-21 22:09:56

In the last few months, I have a re/watched a lot of TV series (lockdown). Keep the Homefires Burning, Handmaid's Tale, Duchess of Duke Street, South Riding, Doc Martin, Nip Tuck.

But I have run out. Any suggestions?

I don't like usually like American stuff. Tried House, because of Hugh Laurie but thought it was too shmaltzy.

Caro57 Sat 15-May-21 19:04:57

Spite being American i would suggest trying Grace and frankie on Netflix- excellent cast

GrammarGrandma Sat 15-May-21 18:53:39

Another vote for Spiral (all 8 series on iPlayer) and Call my Agent (Netflix). But I've picked up some good tips from this thread.

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 18:47:21

Ampersand

If it's still available I would recommend Madame Secretary - I binge watched the entire series during the first lockdown & it gave me something to look forward to each day

Can I also suggest - no can I urge you to watch a truly outstanding foreign language film called Capernaum - I was utterly mesmerized when I saw a pre-release preview in 2018 and have longed to see once again. It's on Netflix but I don't have access - however it is available on All 4 (free) for the next 3 weeks - I promise you wont be sorry you watched -check all the 5 star reviews if you need reassurance

Can’t find Capernaum on Netflix

Dinahmo Sat 15-May-21 18:23:08

The Kominsky Method on Netflix - comedy about an aging actor who runs a state school in Los Angeles (Michael Douglas) and his very wealthy agent and friend (Alan Arkin). It's wise-cracking, Jewish humour and we found it very funny. Series 2 coming at the end of this month.

The Windsors - most of the Royal Family are in it apart from the Queen and Prince Philip. Very funny (unless you're an extreme Royalist perhaps)

For police dramas - The Bridge. The female lead character (Saga) is autistic which means she has difficulty in relating to people. It's dark at times but can be funny, especially when Saga asks people about their sex lives. No preamble, she just comes out with a question. For me, it's the best policier. I'm not sure which channels it is on.

kittypaws49 Sat 15-May-21 18:05:41

Loved: A Place to Call Home, Madam Secretary, and The Seaside Hotel ( still have episodes of that to watch.)
Currently I'm watching Good Girls on Netflix, with my daughter. Crazy but addictive !

Morag65 Sat 15-May-21 17:12:38

Netfix, Behind her eyes, just a creepy but good. Also Queens Gambit.

If you have Sky, Save me and save me 2. Also gangs of lo don....very violent but brilliant

Daisend1 Sat 15-May-21 17:02:12

Watching reruns of Vera, for the scenery, 'Pet', and Law & Order UK. Prefer it to the US version.

deedee27 Sat 15-May-21 16:59:54

Spiral- dark French detective series set in the seedier side of Paris... totally brilliant! So sad I watched the whole 8(!) series and am missing it terribly...

oodles Sat 15-May-21 16:56:24

Saw Dr foster for the first time, all of Anne with an e, really enjoyed that. Just seen not erased. Netflix, all about gay conversion therapy, and Adu about a child refugee. Homes under the hammer too, much less serious

Ellie Anne Sat 15-May-21 16:50:33

I started watching death in paradise from the first episode. Also Wycliffe and touch of frost.

AlpineGranny Sat 15-May-21 16:48:02

Definitely Call my Agent. Really missed it when finished. Looking forward to a possible film.

Schitt’s Creek is very funny. Goes on for many episodes, 80 I think. Great characters.

Grandma70s Sat 15-May-21 16:17:52

I have watched (on DVD) the complete series of The GoodLife and To the Manor Born. I am wondering whether Ever Decreasing Circles might be worth a try. I watched these things at the time, but that’s so long ago I’m ready to watch them again.

grannybuy Sat 15-May-21 16:10:25

I came to The Big Bang Theory late. I think the title put me off. I thoroughly enjoy the humour. Jim Parsons is the master of his role as Sheldon

Shizam Sat 15-May-21 16:02:29

A very underrated BBC3 black comedy called Back to Life. It’s still on iplayer. Daisy Haggard wrote and appears in it. They’re apparently a s cond series. Yippee.
Another comedy series I love is C4’s The Windsors. It’s on the All4 hub.

grannybuy Sat 15-May-21 16:00:43

Another fan of Homeland. The Slap was good. I also enjoyed Missing, particularly the first series. A lot of good drama on iPlayer 4 in the World drama section.

Shandy57 Sat 15-May-21 15:35:34

House of Cards was amazing, so sorry the series had to end.

tattygran14 Sat 15-May-21 15:33:20

I finally watched episode 1 of Homeland last night, happily lots more episodes to come. I really enjoyed Virgin River on Netflix, beautiful scenery too.

Nonny Sat 15-May-21 15:31:33

I have enjoyed:
The Crown,
Bridgerton,
Unforgotten,
Firefly Lane,
Good Witch,
Sex Education,
Behind her Eyes,
The bonfire of destiny,
How to get away with Murder
We are currently watching House of cards
Most on Netflix and while I knit!!!

fuseta Sat 15-May-21 15:14:31

My favoutites were Breaking Bad, Peaky Blinders, Harlots and Bridgerton.

Annaram1 Sat 15-May-21 15:13:03

I like Talking Pictures TV as they often show really good films from the 40s and 50s until the 70s. See all your old favourite actors: James Stewart, Bette Davis, Elvis Presley, Doris Day, Stewart Grainger, James Mason etc. I also like Tales of the Unexpected on Sky, about 2 or 3 times a day. around 9 am, 1 pm and 5 pm...
Unlike most I enjoy American drama and there are some good murder programs on in the evenings such as Fatal Vows, also Unexplained Mysteries. Also on channel 66 are Scotland Yard Files, and Written in Blood with Simon Toyne who writes about true life British crime.

Marg75 Sat 15-May-21 15:01:38

I have just finished watching a six parter, 'Churchill' on Channel 5, which I found very interesting, and learnt a lot about the great man. On the lighter side, our go-to comedy is the American series 'King of Queens', 'Everybody Loves Raymond' & 'Two & a Half Men' on Comedy Central. We've watched all the episodes many times, they are so funny, and fill in the odd half an hour. Another one is 'Mike & Molly'. Also watched a re-run of Fawlty Towers' on BBC1, still hilarious after all these years. Love both the Simon Reeves & Joanna Lumley travel series.

Kartush Sat 15-May-21 14:56:45

I found myself in the same position, nothing interesting to watch. i was so fed up I started watching youtube and came across a strange horribly compelling series called The Magnificent Century, a turkish production with subtitles about Suiliman the magnificent and his totally psyco wives/concubines. 149 episodes each of them 1 and a half hours long. Ah the things we do when our favourite tv shows finish

G1asgowgal Sat 15-May-21 14:45:11

I particularly like the word dramas on 4 you can get them on the 4 app.
In particular “the crimson rivers” the french series.
There are loads of good ones. If you can put up with the subtitles then give them a go.

Witzend Sat 15-May-21 14:43:58

If you’re not averse to Golden Oldies, then for a real binge-watch - 24 episodes - I still really like the old Pallisers series. A bit slow to start by today’s standards, but everything from the heiress made to marry against her wishes, to a murder, with a scheming little trollop helping herself to a £10k (in those days!) diamond necklace thrown in.
And the political background all the way through.

I’ve read all the novels (6) more than once and The Eustace Diamonds is probably my favourite.
IIRC it was ITV.

Another much more recent Trollope dramatisation was The Way We Live Now, with David Suchet playing -absolutely brilliantly - a role as different from Poirot as it’s possible to be. When I first read it in the 80s the parallels with the Maxwell scandal were so marked, I thought Trollope must have foreseen it over 100 years previously!
The novel is one of my all time favourites and IMO it was very well done (BBC)

Ampersand Sat 15-May-21 14:37:55

If it's still available I would recommend Madame Secretary - I binge watched the entire series during the first lockdown & it gave me something to look forward to each day

Can I also suggest - no can I urge you to watch a truly outstanding foreign language film called Capernaum - I was utterly mesmerized when I saw a pre-release preview in 2018 and have longed to see once again. It's on Netflix but I don't have access - however it is available on All 4 (free) for the next 3 weeks - I promise you wont be sorry you watched -check all the 5 star reviews if you need reassurance