Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Run out of things to watch!

(127 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 12-May-21 22:09:56

In the last few months, I have a re/watched a lot of TV series (lockdown). Keep the Homefires Burning, Handmaid's Tale, Duchess of Duke Street, South Riding, Doc Martin, Nip Tuck.

But I have run out. Any suggestions?

I don't like usually like American stuff. Tried House, because of Hugh Laurie but thought it was too shmaltzy.

Crystal46 Sun 16-May-21 19:19:47

Love Montalbano. Also liked Rocco Schiavone in the Alps. Also Il Cacciatore (The Hunter) about the mafia, certainly violent but with a lot else besides. Gripping. All4.

Chezabella Sun 16-May-21 18:40:29

I’ve never been much of a tv series viewer but the past year got me into some good ones on Netflix. Call my Agent, The Queen’s Gambit & Bridgerton were well worth watching and another.vote from me for Shtisel, so well acted. hollysteers I’m with you watching that leading man!

Oldbat1 Sun 16-May-21 17:44:02

Virgin River is Canadian, 800 words is New Zealand, Mrs Maisel is American , A Place to Call Home is Australian. All family saga and I loved them all.

Minibookworm Sun 16-May-21 14:55:32

We really enjoyed The Brokenwood Mysteries on Sky. It’s a police series, similar to Midsomer Murders, set in New Zealand. We’re eagerly waiting for Series 7 to be shown here.

Silverlady333 Sun 16-May-21 11:52:03

I haven't read the whole thread but I highly recommend 'Game of Thrones' and 'Son's of Anarchy' (yes the second one is American but so different!). Oh and 'Bridgerton'!

Jenh66 Sun 16-May-21 08:19:59

Try "Saving Grace" three series on iPlayer, "The Syndicate" also on iPlayer or "Viewpoint" ITV hub.

Alypoole Sun 16-May-21 07:50:03

Please give This is Us a go. I loved it and so has everyone else I recommended it to.
Motherland
Mum
Derek

Lucca Sun 16-May-21 06:05:35

Ellcee

Try Offspring on Netflix. It's an Ausralian comedy drama. Hilarious at times but can also be quite sad. Well worth a watch.

At last someone else who liked offspring, I’ve watched all series .......twice !

Daisydaisydaisy Sun 16-May-21 05:00:30

Hi there.Like Nana I binged watched The Walking dead..it grabbed me from the very first one ....I do like end of the world dramas and remember watching The Survivors as a child.There is also another drama which is a spin off called Fear The Walking dead which to begin with imo wasnt as good but it did get better.I love the way it explores relationships particularly with strangers and absolutely adore Daryl and how his character has grown
smile

Ellcee Sun 16-May-21 00:15:04

Try Offspring on Netflix. It's an Ausralian comedy drama. Hilarious at times but can also be quite sad. Well worth a watch.

Shandy57 Sat 15-May-21 22:52:47

It's very interesting how different we all are - and fantastic that entertainment caters for most tastes. I would never watch horror films or wildlife documentaries where predatory behaviour is portrayed.

I do recommend Parasite, it's about a poverty stricken family who con some rich people into employing them - it won many awards.

hollysteers Sat 15-May-21 22:47:51

I second Shtisel, just wonderful. Now have a crush on leading man?
Anne with an e, such an unusual series with beautiful photography.

Marjgran Sat 15-May-21 22:43:11

Schtisel, try it Schtisel, get hooked on Schtisel!

Lilyflower Sat 15-May-21 22:30:50

Some things we have enjoyed are:-

Spiral
The Break
The Looming Tower
Pine Gap
Unabomber
Unforgotten
Cardinal
Rebecca Martinsson
Salamander
The Bridge
The Killing
Fargo
The Code.
Some of these are a bit dark!

NannieDeb Sat 15-May-21 22:11:58

Anne with an E.
The English Game
And now working my way through Poldark
All on Netflix

Armynanny Sat 15-May-21 21:46:50

I’ve started watching Where The Heart Calls on Netflix, only watched the first episode but loved it.

Kate1949 Sat 15-May-21 21:35:37

Tonight we are watching repeats of Francesco Da Mosto's Venice on BBC4. We've seen it before but we love it and we love Venice.

Shandy57 Sat 15-May-21 21:34:16

@Ampersand, thank you so much for the Caperbaum recommendation, I've just finished watching it, amazing. I love love love the baby - amazing how good he was considering how tiny he was.

I'm sorry you haven't got Netflix, my recommendation is the award winning 'Parasite'.

kevincharley Sat 15-May-21 21:01:05

Looking at others suggestions I've an idea my favourites may be looked on in horror:
Breaking Bad, Better Caul Saul, Wanted, Ozark, Tin Star, Brassic.
They're about as far from Downton Abbey & Call the Midwife as you can possibly get.

Cherrytree59 Sat 15-May-21 20:44:30

Watching series one and two of New Tricks.

Scottiebear Sat 15-May-21 20:38:07

We are hooked on Montalbano and Young Montalbano. Italian series with subtitles. We are watching lots of Scandinavian crime series. There are quite a few available.

Pedwards Sat 15-May-21 20:33:32

Some old, some newer; Keeping Faith, Marcella, Unforgotten, Normal People, The Night Manager, Afterlife, Derek, Early Doors ?

Kryptonite Sat 15-May-21 19:18:47

Anne With An E if you can still get it on Netflix. Brilliant.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 15-May-21 19:12:03

We have just watched nearly all the Outnumbered episodes, really good for a laugh and light hearted. Also Not Going Out.

Littleannie Sat 15-May-21 19:11:47

Capernaum is on Amazon Prime, but you have to pay to rent it.
Leonardo and Outlander (based on the book Cross Stitch), are also on Amazon Prime.
You can have a month's free trial of Amazon Prime.
A Horseman Riding By is on YouTube.