Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mare of Easttown

(28 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 18-May-21 10:33:13

This series is on Sky Atlantic, an episode is released each week and it is currently on Episode 5. It stars Kate Winslet as a police officer in a small town where she was brought up so she knows everybody. There are stories of family dynamics and secrets but the main story is of a young girl who is murdered and Mare’s investigation into who killed her. It is very good and reminds me of The Killing. KW is excellent as Mare.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 18-May-21 10:36:02

We are really enjoying this series, Kate Winslet acting is superb. It is not always comfortable viewing but it is thought provoking.

tanith Tue 18-May-21 11:27:38

I watched too must of been either Now tv or Netflix I hope there’s another series.

tattynan Sat 22-May-21 18:06:34

This series is the best one on television at the moment. Really enjoying it. Kate Winslet is superb as Mare and l love the exchanges between her character and her Mother.

silverlining48 Sat 22-May-21 18:12:52

Is this on Netflix?

Jaxjacky Sat 22-May-21 19:00:33

I wish we’d watched it from the start.

lemongrove Sat 22-May-21 19:04:41

I didn’t like it, only watched half of the first episode.

CraftyGranny Sat 22-May-21 22:17:28

I think it is brilliant too.
All episodes are available on NowTV by the way

Jane43 Sun 23-May-21 18:40:55

silverlining48 it’s a Sky Atlantic production but also available on Now TV.

silverlining48 Sun 23-May-21 19:17:08

thankyou. will check it out. Think we have now as we have netflix with our dd.

Namsnanny Sun 23-May-21 19:35:22

If you get back to this thread lemongrove I'd be interested to know why you disliked it?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 23-May-21 19:46:31

Namsnanny

If you get back to this thread lemongrove I'd be interested to know why you disliked it?

I struggled with the first episode, but so pleased I persevered.

Soozikinzi Sun 23-May-21 20:32:08

We live it we think it’s the best thing on TV . Kate Winslet is really superb in it and there’s so many layers which is what I like . There’s lots of complex relationships which are all believable. Even touches of humour . Brilliant!

lemongrove Sun 23-May-21 20:36:22

Mainly the character that Winslet was playing Namsnanny I just couldn’t get interested in her at all.
I have a twentyfive minute rule these days with tv....if am not hooked after that time I find something else to watch.?

Bettyrob Tue 25-May-21 23:19:04

It’s extremely interesting and I have looked forward to the next episode each week. It’s gritty and thought provoking.

vegansrock Wed 02-Jun-21 06:49:42

I thought Kate Winslett was great in this and there were twists, turns and cliff hangers all the way. I thought the last episode a bit disappointing and left some unanswered questions. Do you think they’ll have a 2nd series? What happened to DJ?

Parsley3 Wed 02-Jun-21 08:45:18

I do hope that there is a second series as I really enjoyed this one.

henetha Wed 02-Jun-21 09:36:21

I loved this and was very impressed by Kate Winslet.

Jane43 Wed 02-Jun-21 12:58:53

It was a very good series. Didn’t Mare’s friend’s husband ask her to look after the baby because it was his and she agreed? This was when he was in prison after he’d been arrested. I would like another series of this.

Cheesey Wed 02-Jun-21 13:30:00

I thought this was excellent. Pretty grim storyline, but riveting. Incredible acting by all actually but especially Kate Winslet.

travelsafar Sat 26-Jun-21 09:07:56

Just finished watching this on Amazon Prime. I was hooked from the start. Loved the actress who played Mare's mother she bought some light relief at times. Lots of twists and turns and a few scary moments.

jusnoneed Sat 26-Jun-21 10:38:04

The first episode was a bit of a "shall I bother to watch more" one but I decided to watch the second and that got into the story line more.
Bit of a shock when the other detective got shot, I liked him.

Namsnanny Sat 26-Jun-21 10:52:20

Yes jusnoneed I felt the same way about the younger detective.
They positioned his death at a pivotal point in their relationship, which made it all the more poignant.

With regards to others who disliked the first episode (Thank you Lemongrove and GrannyGravy for replying), I found it difficult too.

But the in following episodes the characters began to reveal themselves.

I liked it, but I read there isnt to be a second series which is a shame.

TerriBull Thu 01-Jul-21 07:57:21

I'm late to this series, which somehow my husband acquired for us from a friend via Now TV.

The best series I've seen for a long time, I feel bereft now it's finished we binged watched it. Kate Winslet seems to turn in an outstanding performance in whatever she turns her hand to.

I know there is some good stuff on both Netflix and Amazon, but such a lot of dross too........ob to find something of this calibre to feast on. sad

seacliff Wed 07-Jul-21 15:34:52

Thanks for this recommendation, I'd have missed it otherwise. Like some others, I took a while to get into it, but was glad I persisted. Really excellent, I need something else now.