Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Good movies or series on Netflix

(42 Posts)
annamaria31 Mon 24-May-21 20:13:46

Would really love any recommendations of good movies or series on Netflix
Thanks

TerriBull Tue 25-May-21 12:49:23

Hi annamaria saw your post from yesterday, the best films I've seen on Netflix are The Dig and The Irishman, the latter is very long so maybe over several nights. The best series The Queen's Gambit.

Last night I watched a film on Channel 4 Catchup which I thought was excellent "American Woman" about a very young grandmother, who had her daughter aged 16, the daughter who is about that age follows in her footsteps and also has a toddler, so this is how we see them at the outset. One night the daughter goes missing and the young grandmother is left to bring up the baby. Siena Miller plays this part, very well, not an easy person, she spends much of her time rowing with her sister, played by Cristina Hendricks, who helps her juggle child minding with her work. It's also about how her life pans out with her grandson, relationships with men and her desire to improve her employment prospects. Quite an outstanding performance from Siena Miller. Anyone trawling the various channels and sites for a good film, I'd recommend this one, quite gritty and bleak at times but very good.

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 12:59:09

oh I'll watch that this afternoon Terribull as I also loved the dig and queens gambit grin

The guernsey literary and potato peel society is good too, that's on netflix and channel 4

TerriBull Tue 25-May-21 13:20:02

Yes that's another good one Judge Jane

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 20:52:09

It was very good TerriBull, though quite sad too sad it reminded me a bit of the format to pieces of a woman, which was also bloody sad

JaneJudge Tue 25-May-21 20:52:56

I meant to say that was about American woman, I did watch it this afternoon!

TerriBull Tue 25-May-21 21:08:52

Yes I should have said that, I had a big lump in my throat towards the end, very sad.

Redhead56 Wed 26-May-21 13:36:55

Philomena on Netflix or Prime can't remember is really good.

Mancjules Wed 26-May-21 22:35:36

Ma Raineys Blackbottom. Fab film with great music too.

J52 Wed 26-May-21 22:47:35

If you like Hitchcock style films The Woman in the Window is a good thriller

Esspee Wed 26-May-21 23:00:00

Have a look at all the previous posts on this exact subject and you will find loads of recommendations.

JaneJudge Sat 05-Jun-21 12:00:02

TerribBull, I thought of you. I watched 'Film stars don't die in Liverpool' yesterday, it's on iplayer. I said to my friend, it's a shame it was so unbelievable and she said erm, Jane, it's a true story grin

nadateturbe Sat 05-Jun-21 12:13:01

I've just finished Shtisel. Loved it.
We are enjoying the Kominsky Method also Netflix.

GrandmasueUK Sat 05-Jun-21 16:21:59

I'm so pleased another series of the Kominski Method is on again, alhough I thought the first episode dragged on a bit. We've also enjoyed Kim's Convenience, a sitcom about a Korean shopkeeper and his family, in Toronto (I lived there for a year and keep looking for places I might have been). It's one of those gentle comedies.
I can thoroughly recommend Good Girls as well, a sort of female Breaking Bad.

Shandy57 Sat 05-Jun-21 16:30:00

Parasite is amazing, recommend to all.

Mattsmum2 Sat 05-Jun-21 19:17:12

Hinterland if you like crime dramas.

Mary59nana Sat 05-Jun-21 22:23:46

Really enjoyed tge film American women thank you for the recommendation TerriBull

Lovetopaint037 Sun 06-Jun-21 09:18:03

JaneJudge

TerribBull, I thought of you. I watched 'Film stars don't die in Liverpool' yesterday, it's on iplayer. I said to my friend, it's a shame it was so unbelievable and she said erm, Jane, it's a true story grin

It was about Gloria Graham. I had seen a documentary about her years ago so didn’t bother with the film. Perhaps I should see it.

evatrav Wed 09-Jun-21 23:41:29

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Maxxx17 Tue 17-Aug-21 19:45:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

NotSpaghetti Tue 17-Aug-21 20:58:01

Mmmn. Wondering what gems I have just missed... ?

Another "The Queen's Gambit" fan.

JaneJudge Sat 28-Aug-21 12:39:55

I watched 'one chance' the other day, it is a sweet film about Paul Potts smile

seacliff Sat 28-Aug-21 12:56:05

I enjoyed Ladies in Black, think it was on Netflix. A easy going but different film. I loved to seeing the shots of Sydney in late 50s before The Opera House. "Adapted from the bestselling novel by Madeleine St John, Ladies in Black is an alluring and tender-hearted comedy drama about the lives of a group of department store employees in 1959 Sydney."

nanna8 Sat 28-Aug-21 13:31:04

We saw ladies in black at the theatre,too. They did a good job. I can’t find much on Netflix these days but they get new things from time to time so hope something will turn up soon. Same applies to Acorn tv which has the same old same old.

hollysteers Sat 28-Aug-21 13:36:20

I’m enjoying My Unorthodox Life on Netflix. Julia Heart’s reality story of her successful life after leaving the Jewish orthodox religion. Not exactly intellectual or demanding but enjoyable.