Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Noel and Keira

(53 Posts)
Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 08:43:03

Did anyone watch this last night? Such emotion, it left me drained. That man has nerves of steel and a heart of gold.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 28-May-21 08:53:20

Noel Edmonds?

?

FannyCornforth Fri 28-May-21 08:57:13

The vet?

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 08:58:31

FannyCornforth

The vet?

Yes, Fanny, Noel the vet.
His beloved dog got run over.

FannyCornforth Fri 28-May-21 09:04:17

Oh no.
I can't watch anything sad with animals. And DH is even worse...

I know that he is a very controversial person amongst other vets.
And that he was (is?) in a relationship with Cathy Dennis, the ex-popstar and songwriter. Which was a bit of a surprise.

FannyCornforth Fri 28-May-21 09:08:03

I've just done a quick Google and Keira is still alive. I think that I will watch it after all, thanks Ellianne.
He seems a very interesting and unusual man.

threexnanny Fri 28-May-21 09:16:06

The operations were brilliant but the emotions were so raw the camera being there seemed an intrusion at times.

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 09:22:29

I wondered about the cameras too, but I think Noel himself was beyond caring. Maybe it just showed what a dedicated team they all are and to be fair it was said they do the same for any animal if they can?

tanith Fri 28-May-21 09:23:38

How that man held it together while he operated on Keira I’ve no idea what a wonderful program. He’s so invested in all the animals he treats. I think think the new series of Supervet starts next week.

Urmstongran Fri 28-May-21 09:26:16

I read his autobiography last summer. He seems a very driven individual. To the detriment of his own health at times.

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 09:31:49

tanith

How that man held it together while he operated on Keira I’ve no idea what a wonderful program. He’s so invested in all the animals he treats. I think think the new series of Supervet starts next week.

Yes, tanith, that was the crux of the whole issue. The best man for the job. But how he managed to detach himself was remarkable.
I felt his voice throughout the op showed how he was struggling.

muffinthemoo Fri 28-May-21 09:36:19

FannyCornforth

Oh no.

And that he was (is?) in a relationship with Cathy Dennis, the ex-popstar and songwriter. Which was a bit of a surprise.

Legendarily he is the subject of Britney Spears megahit Toxic, penned by Dennis. Which one of the greatest pieces of pop trivia of all time.

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 09:43:08

And that us part of the point.
In this case we cannot judge the person doing the job by anything else than his expertise.
His private life is irrelevant. What he eats for breakfast is irrelevant. It all goes out of the window.

muffinthemoo Fri 28-May-21 15:44:56

Ellianne

And that us part of the point.
In this case we cannot judge the person doing the job by anything else than his expertise.
His private life is irrelevant. What he eats for breakfast is irrelevant. It all goes out of the window.

Oh I love the guy. Went to see him on his speaking tour. I just find it hilarious that this gentle Irish vet inspired a Britney banger.

Related trivia: the Greek girl immortalised in Pulp’s Common People is the present wife of well known Greek economist Yanis Varoufakis

SueDonim Fri 28-May-21 16:26:37

I opened this thinking it was going to be about Noel Gallagher and Keira Knightly! confused grin

JaneJudge Fri 28-May-21 16:36:37

SueDonim

I opened this thinking it was going to be about Noel Gallagher and Keira Knightly! confused grin

so did I!

But the Fanny has made me laugh re dog = sad. I was looking at a film to watch with my ill child and lots of dog films came up and he said 'not a DOG FILM they ALWAYS DIE' and he started crying confused

Gwyneth Fri 28-May-21 17:42:54

I’d not heard that Noel was a controversial figure with other vets fanny. Just wondering why that is. Any more info?

Deedaa Fri 28-May-21 17:46:25

I sat through it thinking "They surely wouldn't show this if she dies" and hoping for the best. It was interesting to see how long many of his colleagues have been with him. You couldn't really run a place like that without everybody being behind you. She made a wonderful recovery for such an elderly little dog.

FannyCornforth Fri 28-May-21 18:00:52

Gwyneth

I’d not heard that Noel was a controversial figure with other vets fanny. Just wondering why that is. Any more info?

Hello. Yes, I heard about it on an interview with Noel himself.
He was nearly chucked out of the Vet Council (I don't know what it's called, I'm focusing on replying to you, not Googling!)
Anyway - he is unpopular because a lot of what he does is deemed unethical. He likes to push the boundaries and put animals in suffering in order to do things differently.
There was a particular issue with a tortoise.
I suppose it goes against the 'do no harm' thing.

Deedaa Fri 28-May-21 18:15:15

I suppose the problem is that you can't explain to an animal that this is going to be awful for a while but you'll be much better afterwards. He always seems very open with the owners about what the various options involve.

I remember many years ago reading a book about a man and his cats. The two cats became seriously ill with feline enteritis and, in pre anti biotic days, suffered horribly. Eventually they did recover and lived long and happy lives but he was never certain that he had been right to let them go through such an ordeal.

JaneJudge Fri 28-May-21 18:15:38

sorry Fanny that I called you the Fanny blush

Gwyneth Fri 28-May-21 18:21:07

Thank you fanny interesting much appreciated.

Ellianne Fri 28-May-21 18:21:28

Deedaa I guess the programme showed Noel's strength in his own convictions. He made it clear that he had considered all the ethical issues with the team. I think there was quite a wrestle going on his mind exactly who he was doing it for.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:56:43

JaneJudge

SueDonim

so did I!

But the Fanny has made me laugh re dog = sad. I was looking at a film to watch with my ill child and lots of dog films came up and he said 'not a DOG FILM they ALWAYS DIE' and he started crying confused

We watched one of those dog films on dvd on holiday with the grandchildren a couple of years ago and my youngest grandson was inconsolable! I think it was A Dogs Purpose or something like that. I’m trying to think of a dog film that does have a happy ending. I bought the dvd of Old Yeller a few years ago but still haven’t plucked up the courage to watch it. Perhaps we should start a thread ‘dog films with happy endings’?

MayBee70 Thu 03-Jun-21 18:58:24

muffinthemoo

FannyCornforth

Oh no.

Legendarily he is the subject of Britney Spears megahit Toxic, penned by Dennis. Which one of the greatest pieces of pop trivia of all time.

I am really surprised to read this! I thought the only women in his life were his dog and his mum!