Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Time - new series starring Sean Bean

(142 Posts)
Artaylar Thu 03-Jun-21 16:24:31

Starting on BBC 1, Sunday at 9pm.

I love love love Sean Bean and will definately be watching this.

Alegrias1 Sun 06-Jun-21 22:12:50

That was intense ?

Shropshirelass Sun 06-Jun-21 22:14:46

Just watched it, excellent. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

BlueBelle Sun 06-Jun-21 22:17:31

I enjoyed it as a drama
Have no great feelings for Sean Bean hes ok as an actor as is Steven Graham who is usually in good dramas
Very good drama so far looking forward to the next episode

travelsafar Sun 06-Jun-21 22:17:36

Cant wait till next week so am on iplayer watching the rest of it. Its brilliant and has me hooked!!!

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:18:22

I really don’t get that prisoners with MH issues, anger and paranoia would have access to a kettle?? To boil water & do what they did. ‘Juice boxes lads only, sorry. It’s the rules’ would make sense!

Mark (Sean Bean) is going to have to toughen up to survive. But I’d be too frightened to do anything against that hard man who took his lunch and just took the phone receiver off him.

A torch shone into the prison service. Shocking. Understaffed. It was a tense & depressing indictment of what goes on.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:20:17

I think I’ll watch the last 2 episodes on BBC iPlayer tomorrow night.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jun-21 22:23:19

Unusual for Sean Bean to have a " Roy Cropper " part, but I think that will all change. Some good acting from the usual stars. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Roll on next week.

Bridie22 Sun 06-Jun-21 22:27:10

That was so good.

Callistemon Sun 06-Jun-21 22:27:35

Whispers very quietly
I don't much like Sean Bean.

However, I may watch on catch up as I do think that Steven Graham is good.

SuzieHi Sun 06-Jun-21 22:28:07

Very uncomfortable viewing. Can’t say I enjoyed it, but will probably watch again next week to see whether he toughens up!

Callistemon Sun 06-Jun-21 22:28:34

Apologies to Stephen Graham (sp)

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:31:45

I like Stephen Graham. He’s a great actor. He played the detective in the true story ‘Little Boy Blue’. Stellar.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:32:36

Where do I know the chaplain from? Probably another good drama! She’s a good actress.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:38:08

Stephen Graham plays prison officer Eric McNally - another of the show's tough characters, albeit with a seemingly good heart. He ends up in a conflicted and unenviable position when inmates get wind that his own son has wound up in another prison, and use that information to threaten him.

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jun-21 22:43:47

Urmston the chaplain was in Downton Abbey---the maid.

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:45:10

The chaplain is played by Siobhan Finneran. A 55y old lass from Oldham in Lancashire. I had to look up where I remembered her from. She was in the original cast of ‘Benidorm’! I think she played Madge’s daughter (her of the very deep tan and mobility scooter!). Right, I can sleep tonight!

Urmstongran Sun 06-Jun-21 22:46:06

I never watched Downtown Abbey EV but thanks for trying!
?

EllanVannin Sun 06-Jun-21 22:49:34

Then there was the mother ( Jim's wife ) out of the Royle Family---another good actress who plays Sean Bean's mum.

silverlining48 Sun 06-Jun-21 22:51:34

It was uncomfortable watching but it was the best thing on tonight so will carry on watching. Is prison that bad? I suppose it probably is.

merlotgran Sun 06-Jun-21 23:01:20

Urmstongran

Where do I know the chaplain from? Probably another good drama! She’s a good actress.

I'd swiftly become the most religious person in the prison if it got me an hour in a place of safety giving the chaplain a hand.

Jaxjacky Mon 07-Jun-21 07:12:00

My thoughtsexactly merlotgran and the library/kitchen/ cleaning….anything!

Calendargirl Mon 07-Jun-21 07:26:02

Siobhan Finneran also was the sister in Happy Valley.

tanith Mon 07-Jun-21 07:58:24

A very difficult watch for me but the violence is integral to the story of course, I’m guessing Sean Bean will decide he’s going to have to start giving as good as he gets to survive his sentence. Certainly the best of a boring Sunday evening viewing.

sodapop Mon 07-Jun-21 08:38:21

Looks like it's shaping up to be an excellent series. Sean B was of course very good as was Stephen Graham. I've always enjoyed Jimmy McGovern's writing.

Callistemon I heard you whisper - heresy smile

Kate1949 Mon 07-Jun-21 10:46:33

We enjoyed it. It reminded me of an excellent American series 'The Night Of' in which a man starts off terrified in an American prison but becomes the toughest, most feared prisoner.