Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Time - new series starring Sean Bean

(142 Posts)
Artaylar Thu 03-Jun-21 16:24:31

Starting on BBC 1, Sunday at 9pm.

I love love love Sean Bean and will definately be watching this.

BlueBelle Mon 21-Jun-21 03:17:41

What a powerful drama loved it cleverly written very well acted best one for a long time

BlueBelle Mon 21-Jun-21 03:32:06

Whoops what happened there sorry folks for posting twice

vegansrock Mon 21-Jun-21 06:28:55

The main problem with prison is that the cuts made them get rid of experienced staff so there are too few staff to guard properly or search cells routinely. They are overcrowded and there are few education or work opportunities. Privatisation of some prisons have made things even worse as companies like Serco try to make a profit out of them. Our prisons are a disgrace, but there are no votes in trying to improve them, so no government is going to bother.

Calendargirl Mon 21-Jun-21 07:06:25

Many actors/actresses play the same in every part. Olivia Colman comes to mind, Judi Dench, Helen Mirren….

sodapop Mon 21-Jun-21 08:33:53

Excellent drama and very moving. Well written and acted.

JessK Mon 21-Jun-21 09:01:07

A really compelling drama with some great acting. A bit of an eye opener too on what prisons are really like.

Luckygirl Mon 21-Jun-21 09:32:16

Chestnut - drugs get into prison many ways. Central to the trade are the bribed/threatened prison officers. Cannabis is smuggled in in books and letters - the pages are impregnated and you just tear one out and smoke it!

The drug barons run the prisons from both inside and out.

I say all this from knowledge from a relative - not from TV and film. It is a jungle in prison; it is a national disgrace.

Luckygirl Mon 21-Jun-21 09:36:24

Polly12 - just seen your post about traumatic brain injury and crime. Of interest to me because I spent many years working for a brain injury service; and because the (adopted) relative of mine who is in prison is brain injured through maternal drug use while in utero and assault resulting in anoxic brain damage.

I will try and get it on Sounds.

GillT57 Mon 21-Jun-21 13:42:11

Brilliant series, well written, well cast and hopefully will dispel a few of the myths about prison. The atmosphere could be felt, the tension, the smell of all those men crammed in together. Brilliant piece of drama, and dare I say it, what the BBC does best.

Calendargirl Tue 22-Jun-21 07:06:34

Just watched the last episode last night.

I might have missed it, but did we ever know what Eric, the prison warden’s son was in jail for?

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:24:15

Just binge watched it. Powerful stuff and brilliantly acted. My ex FIL was a prison warden and a very hard man: I understand why now. Maybe should be shown in secondary schools to warn children what life behind bars is like. And I kept thinking how much worse prison life is now because of covid. I seem to remember someone once saying to me that, if you weren’t a hardened criminal when you went into prison you certainly were by the time you came out. And a good word for the man who owns the key cutting shops (name escapes me) because he makes a point of employing ex prisoners. I understand that the probation service is no longer privately run which is a move in the right direction.

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:28:19

We never did find out about why his son was in prison…..

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:46:25

….Timpsons….

Calendargirl Tue 29-Jun-21 14:38:34

MayBee70

….Timpsons….

?

Did he work there?

I know Timpsons employ ex offenders.

Calendargirl Tue 29-Jun-21 14:39:50

Sorry, ignore my last post!

Have just read your earlier post MayBee

MayBee70 Tue 29-Jun-21 15:09:12

I just had a light bulb moment and had to write it down before I lost it!