Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Jeremy Clarkson's Farm

(43 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:49:58

Just seen the first episode of this on Netflix and it had me roaring with laughter. I know he is not a particularly nice man but he is very self deprecating in this. A review in The Times today promises further laughter in more episodes and some wonderful locals who find him both funny and frustrating and tell him so. Second episode for me after lunch today.

jaybee66 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:24:42

I didn't fancy watching it but am so glad we did as I find it totally hilarious and have a much better understanding of what all farmers have to go through.

Vetnry Wed 16-Jun-21 15:57:06

Unlike the majority on the !!!Net - the entire Vetnry family are JC fans - we dropped TopGear when JC, Hamster & Capt.Slow left. Having grown up in’t country and spent 50 working years with the farming community I can testify to how hard they work for not much income.
AND it’s genuinely funny - once JC stops rushing in where Angels (& his professional advisers) fear to tread he’ll make money but it won’t be so funny. AND the guy cares about the country.
His estate won’t make as much money as those purchased by the hedgefunders - but he’ll be putting a lot more back into the land than they will and leave that bit of the Cotswolds a lot nicer and healthier place than when he bought it.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Jun-21 16:47:40

I don't really like him to be honest but am still prepared to watch.
I can hardly believe how little he knew though (and I certainly don't know as much as a farmer would! It's always interesting watching people learn.

merlotgran Wed 16-Jun-21 17:31:01

I’m sure he knows a lot more than he’s letting on.

Tizliz Wed 16-Jun-21 18:44:38

To false for me, gave up 40 mins in. Though I confess to not liking him.

coast35 Wed 16-Jun-21 21:21:54

It’s not on Netflix it’s on Amazon prime.

coast35 Wed 16-Jun-21 22:30:40

Well it was on Amazon Prime but thanks for the hint. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very good indeed. Poor Jeremy. He’s certainly got guts!

GrandmaKT Wed 16-Jun-21 22:37:13

I've been following his farming exploits in the Sunday Times magazine column that he writes for the past couple of years. Really enjoyed the first episode of the TV show, will watch more.

FannyCornforth Thu 17-Jun-21 06:55:12

I've not read the thread at all, but I will go back and do so.

The were talking about this on Farming Today.
They interviewed JC and he was charm personified.
The 'real' farmers who reviewed it were all mainly in favour of the show.
I will definitely watch it, it sounds interesting, and I am a fan of JC, in spite of his many faults.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 09:56:38

Yes, it was interesting to hear the opinions of the three farmers, Fanny. They liked it, on balance. It was a jolly little article.

Redhead56 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:06:54

I really like Jeremy Clarkson’s in your face directness always have. This programme is different and its entertaining that’s why it’s so watchable. I am really enjoying his antics on the farm and the banter with his team when he gets things wrong.

He doesn’t work by the farmers rule book he seems to flout conventional methods then has to admit defeat. He has his own style and methods for getting things done. If he takes advice from more experienced farmers it will benefit the farm and he will achieve his goal. A sustainable working farm with environmental improvements and good working practise.

BridgetPark Wed 30-Jun-21 19:20:16

Love this show, its just totally entertaining and fun. He comes across as willing to learn and with a great sense of humour. Hoping he does another year and films that also. Highly recommended.

Katie59 Wed 30-Jun-21 21:36:42

It’s pretty realistic from the farming point of view with silly mistakes added in, we enjoyed it a lot. A second series has been announced, no idea when it’s scheduled.

mokryna Thu 01-Jul-21 08:57:01

After reading the above I searched on YouTube. I watched the several clips of 10 mins before I fell on episode 5 no 1, which because my iPad works in a mysterious way, continued showing one after another all the clips in the right order the whole episode.
What pleased me were the times he questioned how the NZ lamb could be so much cheaper than his and the local supermarket could sell the vegetables that have to be transported also cheaper.

Planned sketches as someone thought or not I felt it add another side of a farmer’s work. Don’t get me wrong I like Country File and the experts but this showed how the office worker would react if we all had to go back and work the earth.

Caleb is so good bringing his knowledge in such a brut way.

muse Thu 01-Jul-21 09:05:19

I keep hearing so much about this series - it was mentioned in Forunately (BBC sound podcast).

Pity it's only on PRIME. I don't have it.

Don't like the man but now I'm curious.

mokryna Thu 01-Jul-21 10:40:30

You can see it on YouTube

muse Thu 01-Jul-21 17:34:27

Thank you mokryna. ?