Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What would you like to see repeated (but they never do)

(59 Posts)
trisher Mon 05-Jul-21 11:43:04

I've just re-read "Cranford" and loved it again. I thought the TV series was good as well and I wondered why they don't repeat it. Are there any things you have enjoyed that never seem to get a second showing?

Mamardoit Fri 09-Jul-21 14:11:23

The Sandbaggers.
The P D James detective series with Adam Dalgliesh .
The early Taggarts.

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 09-Jul-21 12:25:12

Peter Skellerns - Happy Endings series, quite amusing , but I love the music, most of the series is available on YouTube, but as they have been uploaded via someone’s at home video the quality isn’t so good.
Love the ‘Visitation from the BBC’ all from the early 70s I think, old cars, quaint old grocery shops - a dose of nostalgia with good music.

gulligranny Thu 08-Jul-21 18:40:40

Telford's Change, with the wonderful Peter Barkworth.
Cracker
The View From Daniel Pike
My Wife Next Door

Infinity2 Thu 08-Jul-21 16:13:38

I would love to watch A Country Practice again. It was set in a veterinary surgery in Australia and used to be on in the afternoons. I loved the romance between Shirley and Frank the local policeman in it. I also loved Richard Hittleman’s Yoga programme that used to be on late afternoon or tea time. I laugh now when I think of how I was able to contort myself copying all the poses. Now I’m decrepit watching it would be of as much use to me as a chocolate fireguard !

ExDancer Thu 08-Jul-21 15:53:26

Grandma, you need a dvd player, and, like me she may not have one.

Kate1949 Thu 08-Jul-21 15:49:28

I loved Cracker.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Jul-21 14:56:13

Yes, Calendargirl, it was about a French girl (called Hélène, I think) who came over here. The tune is indeed lovely. Thanks for reminding me about the follow-up, which I had completely forgotten.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 14:57:59

‘Stranger In The City’ was the follow up.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 14:56:11

Wheniwasyourage

Stranger on the Shore. Black and white and shown at Sunday teatime, I think.

Acker Bilk’s lovely theme tune went on to top the charts. Was it about a young Frenchwoman who came over here?

There was a follow up, ‘Stranger……’ but without looking it up I can’t remember.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 07-Jul-21 14:13:29

Stranger on the Shore. Black and white and shown at Sunday teatime, I think.

Calendargirl Wed 07-Jul-21 07:10:31

An old black and white version of Jane Eyre. I think Ann Bell played Jane, can’t remember who played Mr Rochester but I can picture him.

It was on at a Sunday tea time I recall. Both my sister and I were terrified when the mad woman in the attic appeared and set fire to the place!

GrandmasueUK Tue 06-Jul-21 23:56:42

lovebeigecardigans1955

I'd love to see The Fast Show as I missed out on it.

Line of Duty and Spiral from the very first series to the last ones.

All these are on catch up tv. We loved bingeing on them during lockdown.

I’d love to see Soap
Strange Report
and What Katy Did with Susan Hampshire as Katy and Michelle Dotrice as Clover.

BBbevan Tue 06-Jul-21 19:04:54

The Thorn Birds

Wheniwasyourage Tue 06-Jul-21 18:52:04

Adam Adamant. I used to love that programme. Green Wing and Peak Practice have both been issued on DVD (maybe others too) and it's worth a look on World of Books or the Oxfam site for second hand copies. Which reminds me, I haven't tried them myself to see if Adam Adamant is available!

varian Tue 06-Jul-21 18:36:26

I still remember a wonderful version of Carl Orff's "Carmina Burana" on BBC2 with dramatic staging. I would love to see that repeated.

Lin52 Tue 06-Jul-21 18:35:48

BigBertha1

Wendy Craig was in an episode of Midsummer Murders (she did it) and a hospital Matron can't remember the name of the series set in Scarborough in the 60s.

Had to Google it, as I enjoyed it, Wendy Craig in The Royal.

nexus63 Tue 06-Jul-21 18:31:50

i loved general hospital, the uk version, i had a teenage crush on mr parker brown.
hadleigh
benson
love thy neighbour (not pc so no chance)
peak practice
angels
Sapphire And Steel
tales of the unexpected
the champions
the sweeney (loved john thaw as the hardman...lol)
tv will never be what it was as everything has to be PC now.

Beechnut Tue 06-Jul-21 18:04:57

Sons and Daughters

Soozikinzi Tue 06-Jul-21 17:45:30

I was going to say onedin line that was great wasn’t it and Just good friends with Paul Nicholas .

Kim19 Tue 06-Jul-21 17:44:21

Googled (of course!) Peter Barkworth.

Kim19 Tue 06-Jul-21 17:42:36

I recollect a Sunday evening series called 'Telford's change' which we loved. About a bank manager and family. Hannah Gordon was the lady lead. I can see the male quite clearly but can't for the life of me recollect his name. All help appreciated!

jaylucy Tue 06-Jul-21 10:58:21

A lot of the costume dramas have been shown on the Drama channel - I loved Cranford .
Lark Rise to Candleford
Onedin Line,
Flambards
Middlemarch
Mayor of Casterbridge
Homefires
Duchess of Duke Street

Just to name a few!

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 06-Jul-21 10:55:01

"Diana" by R.F. Delderfield with Kevin McNally and Jenny Seagrove (nothing to do with |HRH) it was excellent. A real good yarn as my Grandma would have said.

Flexagon Tue 06-Jul-21 10:54:46

Green Wing is on All4 and Britbox. Boys from the Blackstuff is on Britbox as are some of the others mentioned here.

Calendargirl Tue 06-Jul-21 10:51:51

BigBertha

I meant that the language, attitudes and behaviours from years ago may be the reason some of these programmes are not aired nowadays.