Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

What's your favorite TV show from the past 10 years.

(106 Posts)
LittleToasterx Sat 10-Jul-21 20:52:47

Mine is definitely the Walking Dead

Glorianny Sun 28-Aug-22 11:07:52

Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul (last episode last week sad)
Derry Girls
Schitt's creek
Currently watching Only Murders in the building.

Doodledog Sun 28-Aug-22 10:58:49

Oh yes, The A Word was excellent.

Eloethan Sun 28-Aug-22 00:40:33

Spiral (I felt I knew the characters)
Line of Duty (only the earlier series)
The Virtues (Stephen Graham was phenomenal in this)
The A Word (brilliant soundtrack too)

Doodledog Fri 26-Aug-22 16:18:04

Chestnut

Doodledog

I forgot about This Is England. It's on 4OD and is a treat in store for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Only a 'treat' if you were a skinhead or want to watch skinheads. I'd rather watch something that makes me happy.

I wasn't a skinhead?

And it wasn't about watching skinheads. It was a heartwarming story about a group of young people who grew up across 3 (?) series. They had ups and downs, and some of the downs were low - it was set in Thatcher's Britain, so bits of it weren't easy to watch - but a lot of it was comic gold, and mostly it was human drama.

Also, nobody needs to be a particular 'type' of person to enjoy TV programmes about people of that 'type'. I also enjoyed Downton Abbey, and I am neither a member of the aristocracy nor a servant. As with everything else on this thread, these things are a matter of opinion - we all like different things.

paddyann54 Fri 26-Aug-22 15:52:02

I used to love Holby City ,would record a few and binge watch on sleepless nights I do miss it there were some great characters that grew as the years went by .I still haven't watched the last 6 episodes yet ,I'll get around to it sometime .

TwiceAsNice Fri 26-Aug-22 15:50:26

Last not lady sorry

TwiceAsNice Fri 26-Aug-22 15:50:00

Forgot also
Stranger Things
Spooks
Luther
Lucifer
Lady Tango in Halifax

TwiceAsNice Fri 26-Aug-22 15:45:43

Line of Duty
Shetland
Downton Abbey
Bad girls
Casualty
Borgen
Judge John Deed
Little House on the Prairie
Bonanza
The last two from years ago

MayBee70 Fri 26-Aug-22 15:39:31

Years and Years was amazing. And is now playing out before our very eyes.

MandL Fri 26-Aug-22 14:24:01

Years and Years and also It’s a Sin - both made a huge impression on me. On a lighter note Gavin and Stacey and the Detectorists - loved them both

CatsCatsCats Fri 26-Aug-22 11:52:00

There are so many, and looking at everybody else's suggestions bring some memories back.

My own personal favourite, though, has to be Beck.

Maggierose Fri 26-Aug-22 11:43:41

Years and Years

Mine Fri 26-Aug-22 11:37:22

Too many to chose from....
Peaky blinders
Sopranos...
Handmaids tale
Line of duty
Mare of Eastown
Stranger things
Walking dead
Vikings
Could go on and on....I love watching TV at night...

Anniebach Fri 26-Aug-22 11:17:07

Downton Abby

Call The Midwife

Unforgotten

MayBee70 Fri 26-Aug-22 11:07:32

Chestnut

travelsafar Try A Place to Call Home which is like an Australian Downton set in the 1950s. Except the plot is much more interesting. There are six series and over 60 episodes, but you need to watch from the start. You can buy the whole thing on DVD if that helps. I liked it even more than Downton!

I love all things Australian. They make exceptional films, too. I often have Australian radio on and pretend I’m there. We were going to have a holiday there a few years ago but I couldn’t leave my dog for that amount of time. Doubt if we’ll get there now.

Chestnut Fri 26-Aug-22 11:03:26

Doodledog

I forgot about This Is England. It's on 4OD and is a treat in store for anyone who hasn't seen it.

Only a 'treat' if you were a skinhead or want to watch skinheads. I'd rather watch something that makes me happy.

Doodledog Fri 26-Aug-22 10:57:12

Chestnut Wed 24-Aug-22 09:46:38

travelsafar Try A Place to Call Home which is like an Australian Downton set in the 1950s. Except the plot is much more interesting. There are six series and over 60 episodes, but you need to watch from the start. You can buy the whole thing on DVD if that helps. I liked it even more than Downton!

travelsafar Wed 24-Aug-22 04:19:04

Downton Abbey I loved this series and have every episode recorded.

GreeneShawn60 Tue 23-Aug-22 23:01:24

I prefer The Frankenstein Chronicles. Because that's what I'm writing my college paper about. I also benefit from edubirdie.com/examples/frankenstein/, where I found a lot of useful material. Which will help me a lot in my writing.

PollyDolly Fri 19-Aug-22 07:46:58

Too many to mention to be honest. Now we have BritBox we have a huge selection to choose from, some we have seen before and many we never watched originally due to working. shifts. We are currently watching Ballykissangel having worked our way through Cavanagh QC, The Gentle Touch, Cracker, Minder and many more.

Mollygo Fri 19-Aug-22 07:39:36

Call the Midwife
Lucifer
Murdoch Mysteries
Big Bang Theory
Death in Paradise
Say Yes to the Dress

ShazzaKanazza Fri 19-Aug-22 07:14:22

There are so many on here that I agree with.
Line of Duty
Homeland
Call the Midwife
Downtown Abbey

Comedies.
Two doors Down
Motherland

My very favourite though is
The Walking Dead.
Fear the Walking Dead

Chestnut Thu 18-Aug-22 23:56:54

Happy ones:
A Place to Call Home (the best by far!)
Downton Abbey
Mr Selfridge
Victoria

Dark ones:
Line of Duty
Happy Valley

Doodledog Thu 18-Aug-22 23:52:38

Ooh, some good choices on here.

I loved both Spooks and Wolf Hall, too.

Also:
Vikings (at number one for me)
Line of Duty
The Handmaid's Tale
Stella
It's A Sin (?)
Luther
Friday Night Dinner
The Tudors (tosh, but very watchable)

I haven't seen Homeland, but will look it up after this thread.